Tendulkar and Zaheer retirement discussion [Poll added]

Tendulkar and Zaheer retirement discussion [Poll added]  

1. 1.

Not even close. The crisis in Sachin's batting during the tennis elbow phase was by far the worst time of his career so far.
But that was due to injury. There is nothing like that right now. I am not saying he should retire right now even if he is performing. If he performs against England, can average 45+, he should continue to play, but if he does not that means it is time to rest.
But that was due to injury. There is nothing like that right now. I am not saying he should retire right now even if he is performing. If he performs against England' date=' can average 45+, he should continue to play, but if he does not that means it is time to rest.[/quote'] I'll not put a benchmark, but if against England he looks as out of touch as did against NZ, then it should be time, unfortunately.:((
But that was due to injury. There is nothing like that right now. I am not saying he should retire right now even if he is performing. If he performs against England' date=' can average 45+, he should continue to play, but if he does not that means it is time to rest.[/quote'] I am not sure what to say my man, except that, you've obviously not been following Sachin's career close enough (or) your memory of his career is not as strong as you think it is. Sachin's worst time in his career did not occur during the tennis elbow period, an injury that kept him out of test cricket for the most of 2004, but in the two years that followed afterwards. From Jan 2005 to Apr 2007, a full 28 month period, Sachin played 15 test matches and averaged 34 with the bat, with a sum total of a single 100. To think Sachin went thru a stretch of 28 months with a single test ton is unthinkable. Even worse, that horrendous stretch with the bat culminated in the disastrous 2007 WC campaign, when we failed to even qualify past the league phase. If you think the calls for Sachin to retire are loud now, back then, it was cacophonous! I must say, as a Sachin fan, I've seen it all and more. I've seen how this guy re-invented himself post 2007 to have his best years in test cricket yet and I know he can do it again. If only he can catch an effin break for our idiotic "journalists" and fans, maybe that will help him out a little bit.
I'll not put a benchmark' date=' but if against England he looks as out of touch as did against NZ, then it should be time, unfortunately.:(([/quote'] Woah.. Its deja-vu time for me all over again! 5 years ago, on this very board, I heard this very same argument from one of our long time members - Lurker. Post 2007, he said that if Sachin did not average "XX" in the next "YY" tests, its time for him to hang his boots up. Sachin ended that year as India's top scorer in our series against Australia. 'Nuff said.
^ For some reason' date=' he was in excellent ODI form though and scored a string of 90s. :secret:[/quote'] String of 90's happened aftrer WC 2007 and his revival had anyway started immediately afrer WC. On England tour, he didn't score ton's but played very useful innings. After that it was that Australian tour where he scored aroound 500 runs in test series and won CB series for India. He was in red hot form for next three years, until WC 2011. But then he missed that WI tour :wall:
Woah.. Its deja-vu time for me all over again! 5 years ago, on this very board, I heard this very same argument from one of our long time members - Lurker. Post 2007, he said that if Sachin did not average "XX" in the next "YY" tests, its time for him to hang his boots up. Sachin ended that year as India's top scorer in our series against Australia. 'Nuff said.
I am not putting a specific number. You simply can't do that after watching Sachin for 22 years. But he should not look out of sorts - as Dravid was looking of Aus tour.
I am not sure what to say my man, except that, you've obviously not been following Sachin's career close enough (or) your memory of his career is not as strong as you think it is. Sachin's worst time in his career did not occur during the tennis elbow period, an injury that kept him out of test cricket for the most of 2004, but in the two years that followed afterwards. From Jan 2005 to Apr 2007, a full 28 month period, Sachin played 15 test matches and averaged 34 with the bat, with a sum total of a single 100. To think Sachin went thru a stretch of 28 months with a single test ton is unthinkable. Even worse, that horrendous stretch with the bat culminated in the disastrous 2007 WC campaign, when we failed to even qualify past the league phase. If you think the calls for Sachin to retire are loud now, back then, it was cacophonous! I must say, as a Sachin fan, I've seen it all and more. I've seen how this guy re-invented himself post 2007 to have his best years in test cricket yet and I know he can do it again. If only he can catch an effin break for our idiotic "journalists" and fans, maybe that will help him out a little bit.
That is what I meant, he struggled at that time due to injury as he was coming back from a long injury lay off and players can struggle after a serious injury and another thing at that time age was on his side. He was still 32-34, but now he is close to 40 and everyone would agree that age is an important aspect in a sportsman's career. I am not talking about retiring at any cost. 13 tests and 25 innings already gone. He now has 4 tests 8 innings against England. If he performs that is good for team but how long team can carry players who are non-performing for such long. Gambhir, Sehwag, and to a large extent SRT all three have been nonexistent in these 13 tests bar a few innings here and there. It is better to lose with youngsters who may learn for better future rather than carrying non-performing veterans.
I'll not put a benchmark' date=' but if against England he looks as out of touch as did against NZ, then it should be time, unfortunately.:(([/quote'] That is the only thing I am talking about. I myself would want him till SA tour but only if he is performing.
String of 90's happened aftrer WC 2007 and his revival had anyway started immediately afrer WC. On England tour' date=' he didn't score ton's but played very useful innings. After that it was that Australian tour where he scored aroound 500 runs in test series and won CB series for India. He was in red hot form for next three years, until WC 2011. But then he missed that WI tour :wall:[/quote'] Yup - that is the period I am talking of. He was OK in Tests but HOT in ODIs. He missed the West Indies tour despite the fact that he was not part of the squad that won in West Indies 2006. My speculation is that he's picking tours based on his body without considering the team. Of course, I think he's taken the right people into confidence and requested if he could take the liberty to do so.