Kohli will be the world's best batsman very, very soon.

ODI Cricketer of the Year :hatsoff: Kohli

Virat Kohli, the India batsman, has been named the ODI Cricketer of the Year at the ICC awards function in Colombo. He was picked ahead of MS Dhoni, Lasith Malinga and Kumar Sangakkara. During the period under consideration, Kohli played 31 ODIs and scored 1733 runs at an average of 66.65, including eight hundreds and six half-centuries. His highest score was 183, against Pakistan in the Asia Cup. "I think I have tried to keep things as simple as possible and it's worked for me on the field," Kohli said. "This year has been a learning curve along the way from the seniors in the team. It's been an all-round effort and I'm very happy to have won this award. "It's always nice to be recognised by the ICC, it's a great feeling, and it's the first time I've won one of these awards."
Cricinfo 149839.jpg

Kohli should NOT become captain anytime soon. Typical indian way of doing things is giving the best performer the highest form of responsibility.. We already saw how that misfired with Tendulkar & Raina. Kohli is in his prime so far. He is not only doing well for himself, but is being outstanding. I am not sure giving him VC position was necessary or beneficial. This kid needs to be unburdened as much as he can so that he can settle into his prime performance consistently over large periods of time. What say?

Virat Kohli - 1186 runs@99 in the last 15 innings across formats including 6 100s and 6 50s. I know is a bit of an irrelevant stat combining different formats, yet those are surreal numbers. http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/253802.html?class=11;spanmin2=27+feb+2012;spanval2=span;template=results;type=batting;view=innings Incredible. May his current form continue forever. :hatsoff:

Another problem with Indian mentality is it is hard for the Indian ego to accept a newer and younger person as a leader. If kohli becomes the captain.. I can see the likes of Sehwag and Gambhir shutting themselves down.
+1 This guy is not the "typical hyped up talent" we come across . He is pretty special. Probably best middle order batsman to be unearthed by India after Dravid in 1996. Let him grow as a player before choking him with captaincy. Those days we didn't play this many matches. Captain could relax a bit. Nowadays you will constantly be under the pump especially if you are blessed with a bunch of clueles bowlers and even more clueless coach.

Depends. It's more important that he performs as a batsman (as he has been so far). If he can keep up the level while being a captain, then he's a good future candidate. Otherwise, it's best to let him focus on his batting the way Tendulkar did for most of his career. Gambhir shouldn't be written off as a captain, despite his current form.