Ranji Trophy 2012-13

Chandan

OR reduce the number of teams in Ranji and scrap Duleep Trophy altogether. Just different ways of saying the same thing.
that wont be right thing to do as India is different than Australia as we havea huge population so we need to have more exposure to players in FC, but making ranji secondary tournament for their progress for Duleep trophy will be better. Best Ranji performers will progress to Duleep and will stay there till they perform. If they dont they will be back to Ranji to get their spot back in Duleep and Duleep should be our criteria to select A team and A team performance to select for national team. we should have more matches in Duleep trophy, minimum 8 FC matches per season whcih will take place at the same time to ranji. Best Zonal players will play Duleep while others will play Ranji and stake their claims to Duleep.
that wont be right thing to do as India is different than Australia as we havea huge population so we need to have more exposure to players in FC' date=' but making ranji secondary tournament for their progress for Duleep trophy will be better. Best Ranji performers will progress to Duleep and will stay there till they perform. If they dont they will be back to Ranji to get their spot back in Duleep and Duleep should be our criteria to select A team and A team performance to select for national team. we should have more matches in Duleep trophy, minimum 8 FC matches per season whcih will take place at the same time to ranji. Best Zonal players will play Duleep while others will play Ranji and stake their claims to Duleep.[/quote'] The plan sounds good as you state it, however the ground reality is that it's only in the case of Ranji teams where long term goals and roles in the team are defined. Duleep trophy would have a meaning beyond a supposed high degree of competition only when Duleep Trophy becomes a 6 week tournament with most teams getting to play 5-6 games.
that wont be right thing to do as India is different than Australia as we havea huge population so we need to have more exposure to players in FC' date=' but making ranji secondary tournament for their progress for Duleep trophy will be better. Best Ranji performers will progress to Duleep and will stay there till they perform. If they dont they will be back to Ranji to get their spot back in Duleep and Duleep should be our criteria to select A team and A team performance to select for national team. we should have more matches in Duleep trophy, minimum 8 FC matches per season whcih will take place at the same time to ranji. Best Zonal players will play Duleep while others will play Ranji and stake their claims to Duleep.[/quote'] I meant make Ranji Elite and Ranji Plate - relegate people for poor performance. You can also have a combination of players from the Elite and Plate for the Duleep Trophy which would then effect 'A' tour choice. Do you think this is good?
I meant make Ranji Elite and Ranji Plate - relegate people for poor performance. You can also have a combination of players from the Elite and Plate for the Duleep Trophy which would then effect 'A' tour choice. Do you think this is good?
that can be a bit complex. You mean one team has two XIs plate and elete? otherwise, we already have elete and plate groups. Goal must be to dilute the quality players ad bring them together in fewer teams to make it more hard fought and raise its standard. My Duleep trophy suggestion is pretty simple. This way we will have 5 teams like Aus have 6 and these teams will play minimum 8 matches, 2 matches on home and away basis against each other and should be playe simultaenously at test venues. Ranji trophy will be supply line for this. Best ranji performers will progress to Duleep even in the same season, while Duleep non-performers will be demoted after a certain period of evaluation in the same season.
that can be a bit complex. You mean one team has two XIs plate and elete? otherwise' date=' we already have elete and plate groups. Goal must be to dilute the quality players ad bring them together in fewer teams to make it more hard fought and raise its standard. My Duleep trophy suggestion is pretty simple. This way we will have 5 teams like Aus have 6 and these teams will play minimum 8 matches, 2 matches on home and away basis against each other and should be playe simultaenously at test venues. Ranji trophy will be supply line for this. Best ranji performers will progress to Duleep even in the same season, while Duleep non-performers will be demoted after a certain period of evaluation in the same season.[/quote'] No - we have an elite and plate group. The elite must be just 12 teams while the plate must be the rest others. Last 2 teams to relegate to plate every year by default. Winner and runner-up of plate come to elite. Prize money of elite should be attractive enough. Duleep can be a mixture of everyone.
No - we have an elite and plate group. The elite must be just 12 teams while the plate must be the rest others. Last 2 teams to relegate to plate every year by default. Winner and runner-up of plate come to elite. Prize money of elite should be attractive enough. Duleep can be a mixture of everyone.
thats what we already have.

100% Agree with what rkt.india is saying. Ranji trophy doesnt provide enough quality competion to test our domestic players.Often they score against medocre bowlers from Ranji sides and when they go for India A tours or int. series the step seems too big. So making Duleep trophy the main domestic competion will mean players will be testsed in a far tougher environment and against strong team.And more importantly good players will have equal chance to prove themselves in Duleep trophy whereas in Ranji trophy average players from strong teams often make merry against weaker opposition whereas a good player from weak team will never get proper chance to shine. Also making Duleep trop tropy main tournament will mean we will have enough time to play 5 day matches with proper rest (5 day matches with 5 day rest will still only consume 95 days ) which would mean high quality competition which in turn would provide players better prepared for Int matches.

Why can't we make Duleep Trophy into a Ranji Trophy? You and me are exactly saying the same things but approaching from different directions. Our arguments will essentially converge.
Not really.Your argument would mean then we then wont have a Domestic structur(like Ranji) to produce large amount of cricketers. cricketers .Wih the size of our country and population its essential to have structure like Ranji to give produce the quantity of cricketers. But then we need Duleep trophy to fine tune quality crickters from these quantity cricketers.ALso most of these Ranji teams have vast history and cultural ties.Abolishing them wont be easy and will bring unnecessary issues too.
Not really.Your argument would mean then we then wont have a Domestic structur(like Ranji) to produce large amount of cricketers. cricketers .Wih the size of our country and population its essential to have structure like Ranji to give produce the quantity of cricketers. But then we need Duleep trophy to fine tune quality crickters from these quantity cricketers.ALso most of these Ranji teams have vast history and cultural ties.Abolishing them wont be easy and will bring unnecessary issues too.
No! Let me put what I said in RKT's words - Make a Plate (quantity laden) Ranji Trophy and Make a Elite (quality laden) Duleep Trophy. It's just the same thing - I belittled Ranji Trophy, he upped the Duleep Trophy.
No! Let me put what I said in RKT's words - Make a Plate (quantity laden) Ranji Trophy and Make a Elite (quality laden) Duleep Trophy. It's just the same thing - I belittled Ranji Trophy' date=' he upped the Duleep Trophy.[/quote'] So where would u have and how many teams for Elite laden Ranji? I seriously dont understand.
No! Let me put what I said in RKT's words - Make a Plate (quantity laden) Ranji Trophy and Make a Elite (quality laden) Duleep Trophy. It's just the same thing - I belittled Ranji Trophy' date=' he upped the Duleep Trophy.[/quote'] Problem is evem Elite teams dont have 15 high quality FC players that is why some of them even lose yo plate teams in knock outs.

BCCI should try to take steps to make the Ranji and domestic tournaments more competitive, they can give cash incentives to states who are improving, there should be some outside players who are allowed also make them focus on young talent , ROI , Zonal tournament selections are ridiculous as quota and favoritism comes into play, first thing is sporting tracks and there have been some improvements about preparing better tracks and each state team getting more games, also more A tours and series will help as then you can separate the real players.