Kejriwal

King Tendulkar

I would prefer dictatorship with a benevolent society in India rather than democracy with malaise. If the last 65 years of independence has taught us something' date=' it should be back the one who gets the job done.[/quote'] This is possibly the dumbest statement ever,has history not taught us anything?

This is possibly the dumbest statement ever' date='has history not taught us anything?[/quote'] Do you understand what I meant or are you on an ad hominem crusade? If you did not, please seek a clarification. I meant "benevolent dictatorship" would be beneficial in the current Indian society.

Do you understand what I meant or are you on an ad hominem crusade? If you did not' date=' please seek a clarification. I meant "benevolent dictatorship" would be beneficial in the current Indian society.[/quote'] That was pretty poor comment tbh. What our 65 year democracy has shown us is that democracy is far superior to dictatorship . Most people will attest that the worst phase after India gained independence was during the 3 year period of emergency. And history has shown us that benevolent dictatorships are highly rare and more often than not dictators lead to war and destruction of a country. Our democracy is not perfect IMO its million times better and preferable than dictatorship considering the dictator too will too come from the same society from which our corrupt politicians have come. And finally it's only because these leaders had to face elections they often implement people related schemes inbtw their corrutions.

That was pretty poor comment tbh. What our 65 year democracy has shown us is that democracy is far superior to dictatorship . Most people will attest that the worst phase after India gained independence was during the 3 year period of emergency. And history has shown us that benevolent dictatorships are highly rare and more often than not dictators lead to war and destruction of a country. Our democracy is not perfect IMO its million times better and preferable than dictatorship considering the dictator too will too come from the same society from which our corrupt politicians have come. And finally it's only because these leaders had to face elections they often implement people related schemes inbtw their corrutions.
Rare does not mean non-existent; there are countries today which thrive on one form or the other of benevolent dictatorship. Whether we can or we can implement it in our society is a different story but one has to consider that option. Also, if you call the current state of our country as "far superior" I have nothing much to say. Not to mention, the huge abuse of our freedom . Additionally, referring to your 3-year emergency period - is not a benevolent dictatorship. We are discussing hypothetical so we can definitely fantasize. I was referring to Voltaire's famous quote actually when I said that (and it was more out of frustration). It does not mean I would not love a democracy. I want a government/system which works - communalism, capitalism, democracy or chewtiyalism - IDC.
An ideal form of government is benevolent dictatorship tempered with assassination.
~ Voltaire

Rare does not mean non-existent; there are countries today which thrive on one form or the other of benevolent dictatorship. Whether we can or we can implement it in our society is a different story but one has to consider that option. Also, if you call the current state of our country as "far superior" I have nothing much to say. Not to mention, the huge abuse of our freedom . Additionally, referring to your 3-year emergency period - is not a benevolent dictatorship. We are discussing hypothetical so we can definitely fantasize. I was referring to Voltaire's famous quote actually when I said that (and it was more out of frustration). It does not mean I would not love a democracy. I want a government/system which works - communalism, capitalism, democracy or chewtiyalism - IDC. ~ Voltaire
can you come up with examples of this mythical benevolent dictatorship?.I would rather have some politicians steal millions than a dictator kill innocents to keep power.Dictators kill to keep power and the very first thing to go is the Judiciary,you dont wont to be on the other side of that.

Dictactorship has never worked and never will.But coming to this thread arvind is doing a great job ,These media conferences might me to get media attention but he has carved his own image now .He should take care now as he has made so many powerful enemies.

can you come up with examples of this mythical benevolent dictatorship?.I would rather have some politicians steal millions than a dictator kill innocents to keep power.Dictators kill to keep power and the very first thing to go is the Judiciary' date='you dont wont to be on the other side of that.[/quote'] There aren't any ? But it is a knee jerk reaction that most Indians including me have had at different points in their lives.

can you come up with examples of this mythical benevolent dictatorship?.I would rather have some politicians steal millions than a dictator kill innocents to keep power.Dictators kill to keep power and the very first thing to go is the Judiciary' date='you dont wont to be on the other side of that.[/quote'] Someone just gave one example in this thread if you have read through it. We need to define by what I mean by benevolent dictatorship. I'm sure you have Gadaffi, Saddam Hussein in mind; I have Lee Kuan Yew, Hugo Chavez and Josip Broz Tito in mind. I want an elected dictator like Lee Kuan Yew. You would now argue that LKY is not a dictator - yes he is not on paper; but he is in actions. Finally, your logic that dictatorship leads to human right abuses and hence you discard it is flawed. Why? Democracy also leads to people killing for power. Abuse of power has got nothing to do with the function of the state rather is has got to do with the function of the legal system - so that is one fallacy. A dictatorship can co-exist with a very efficient judiciary as well. Currently, majority of Indians are not matured enough to handle their freedom and if that is the case I would love someone (preferably the state) to take care of it. I do not want corruption neither do I want mass murder. Oh btw, I mean that the current state of the country requires a benevolent dictator who works for the people - it does not mean that this would be true over time. Think about it as starting a company - initially the CEO is involved in each & every micro level detail. Once it grows there are multiple departments which emulate the CEO's policies. Also, no where did I say that a benevolent dictator is a silver bullet to our problems. It is a much better start than saying "Apna kaam banta toh bhaad mein jaaye junta".

Benevolent dictatorship theory is all fine but is it feasible ? , I think it is almost impossible to establish a good dictator at the top in a complex society like India where everyone wants to put his/her men and it inevitably leads to a civil unrest and civil war. Is there any other way than democracy , I don't think so. At the best we can hope for is people like Kejriwal in our system who can bring reforms in our malfunctioning democracy.

Benevolent dictatorship? WTF! :hysterical:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qaboos_bin_Said_al_Said http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jun/15/oman-middle-east-uprising
By contrast, Qaboos, whatever objection there is to a political system in which power still rests in the hands of a monarch, has been a paragon of good governance. Last year, Oman was named the most improved country in the world over the past 40 years by the UN development fund. The World Health Organisation has assessed Oman's national health system to be the eighth best in the whole world. Oman's stability and strong infrastructure are worlds away from the chaos that often threatens to engulf neighbouring Yemen. It's hard to see rule by absolute monarchy as anything but an anachronism in the 21st century. And yet it's also difficult to imagine that over the past 40 years Oman, a country with a practically medieval infrastructure and fighting an increasingly bitter counter-insurgency campaign against a Soviet sponsored rebellion in the south when Qaboos took control, would have been better served by any alternative system of government.

he cannot change politics unless he understands the political reality of India which is that you cannot be enemies with both major parties at the same time. Do you really think Anna would have achieved so much if the BJP (like Congress) would have also opposed Jan Lokpal Bill ?
Anna or Janlokpal movement didnt work precisely because while Congress stabbed us from front, BJP stabbed from behind. If you listened to the debate, it was clear that congress was refusing to let go of its control over CBI while BJP was busy scuttling the lokayukta clause. Remember that for the common man, he interacts much more with state govt depts than central govt. So, lokayukta clause was absolutely essential! And that Jaitley's argument that it is unconstitutional is total bakwas - prevention of corruption falls well within the concurrent list and center has full right to enact lokayukta clause (not to mention that constitution allows central govt to enact laws to abide by international agreements, and we are signatories to UN Convention on corruption). So, both congress and BJP want their lootera-ship to continue at center and states, while playing lip service to anti-corruption crusaders. Wipe all those rats off parliament house!

Dictactorship has never worked and never will.But coming to this thread arvind is doing a great job ' date='These media conferences might me to get media attention but he has carved his own image now .He should take care now as he has made so many powerful enemies.[/quote'] I fully agree. AK is working well within democratic structures, and is showing that there is optimism in this structure too. More power to him and his team, and lets also take ownership of this movement and contribute whatever little time and money that we can afford.

Aah, pretty easy to want dictatorship when you wouldnt be facing the consequences, living in a western democracy. Indian voters might be stupid, but its their own stupidity, let them live with it BTW, I have mostly seen that its the NRI's who always suggest extreme solutions. Like this example. Or when they want supremacy of one religion, or stern action against one community, or a war with Pakistan. Pretty easy to say when they are not going to face any of the consequences