'Ailing' Dhoni only top Indian cricketer to skip Ranji tie

saneindian

When India take on England in the first cricket Test at Ahmedabad from November 15, home team skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni will be the only player who would not play the opening round Ranji Trophy fixture unlike his other colleagues. The first round of the Ranji Trophy will be played across various centres from November 2-5 but the Indian captain who hasn't played for his state even once in last five years has decided against playing Jharkhand's opening match against J&K in Srinagar. "For the last six or seven years, I have been playing for India regularly and this time the local association asked me whether I was fit or not. I told them that I have cough and cold and not to consider me for selection," Dhoni stated in a matter-of-factly manner at the opening of fitness training centre in a South Delhi mall. For the record, current India players like Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Ishant Sharma and Virat Kohli and Suresh Raina will be playing in the Delhi vs UP game in Ghaziabad. Sachin Tendulkar, Zaheer Khan will be playing for Mumbai against Railways while Harbhajan Singh, Yuvraj Singh and Pragyan Ojha are set to play in the game between Hyderabad and Punjab. Ravichandran Ashwin will be playing for Tamil Nadu in Orissa. Cheteshwar Pujara will be playing for Saurashtra against Gujarat while Umesh Yadav is supposed to play for Vidarbha against Haryana at Rohtak. Ranji Trophy (Opening Round) (Key Stars & Test hopefuls) Mumbai vs Railways: Sachin Tendulkar, Zaheer Khan, Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane Delhi vs UP: Sehwag, Gambhir, Ishant, Kohli, Raina Tamil Nadu vs Orissa: Ashwin, Mukund, Vijay Saurashtra vs Gujarat: Cheteshwar Pujara Punjab vs Hyderabad: Harbhajan, Yuvraj, Pragyan Ojha, Rahul Sharma Vidarbha vs Haryana: Umesh Yadav, Amit Mishra Bengal vs Rajasthan: Manoj Tiwary, Ashok Dinda.
http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2012/oct/311012-Ailing-Dhoni-only-top-cricketer-to-skip-Ranji-tie.htm What an amateurish and ridiculous excuse not to play the Ranji tie. One chance to play for your home side after years and even then Dhoni is not willing to make himself available. Pathetic decision. Good to see all other players turning up for their state sides.
http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2012/oct/311012-Ailing-Dhoni-only-top-cricketer-to-skip-Ranji-tie.htm What an amateurish and ridiculous excuse not to play the Ranji tie. One chance to play for your home side after years and even then Dhoni is not willing to make himself available. Pathetic decision. Good to see all other players turning up for their state sides.
Bhai, it doesn't make much sense, if he is ill he should recover fully than making one token gesture appearance for his state side. His schedule is shockingly hectic even if you don't consider IPL and CLT20 and he is WK on top of that. So he should try to recover from the fatigue as the season ahead has no long gaps. Even SRT hasn't played for Mumbai much. IIRC, only 3-4 FC matches or so in the last 12 years.
Bhai' date=' it doesn't make much sense,[b'] if he is ill he should recover fully than making one token gesture appearance for his state side. His schedule is shockingly hectic even if you don't consider IPL and CLT20 and he is WK on top of that. So he should try to recover from the fatigue as the season ahead has no long gaps. Even SRT hasn't played for Mumbai much. IIRC, only 3-4 FC matches or so in the last 12 years.
cough and cold doesn't exactly mean unfit to play.

A couple of things need to be considered: a) Dhoni has obviously been playing 24X7/365 days a year and naturally needs some rest before a mentally and physically gruelling series. b) He needs to shoot the ads he has committed for as well. When can he allot those dates if he doesn't allot it now? :hitler: Human being hai, machine nahi hai, ki hamesha kirkut hi khelta rahega :beee:

Yar Dhoni is doesnt need practice matches to score runs in Indian conditions.I can understand people wanting Dhoni to play this match if he out of form. But considering his excellent form is Nzl series dont see the compulsion for him to play.Also he played more international matches than any other Indian player in last 6-7 years too despite being keeper. And frankly playing in Srinagar this time of the season isnt exactly wise either.

Bhai, it doesn't make much sense, if he is ill he should recover fully than making one token gesture appearance for his state side. His schedule is shockingly hectic even if you don't consider IPL and CLT20 and he is WK on top of that. So he should try to recover from the fatigue as the season ahead has no long gaps. Even SRT hasn't played for Mumbai much. IIRC, only 3-4 FC matches or so in the last 12 years.
This season hasn't been as hectic as some of the previous ones. IPL ended on 28th May. Since then in the last 5 months, we have played 5 ODIs and 2 T20s in SL, 5 T20s in WT20 and add another 4 T20 matches for Dhoni in CLt20, a total f 16 playing days in a time span of nearly 155 days! If thats not enough of a rest wonder what else would be needed for proper rest. Also, even after the round 1 of ranji, there are still 10 days to go before the 1st test starts giving amle time for 'rest'.
It would have served him well had he not gone ahead and given stupid reasons like cold and cough. Why not be honest? And if he isn't a machine and gets tired... why is he doing promotional events instead of taking rest? Two-faced muppet' date= MSD.
Yeah, he'll have to keep wickets while cutting a ribbon. Great post. :hatsoff:
It would have served him well had he not gone ahead and given stupid reasons like cold and cough. Why not be honest? And if he isn't a machine and gets tired... why is he doing promotional events instead of taking rest? Two-faced muppet' date=' MSD.[/quote'] Cold and playing in srinagar at this winter time is sensible?
This season hasn't been as hectic as some of the previous ones. IPL ended on 28th May. Since then in the last 5 months, we have played 5 ODIs and 2 T20s in SL, 5 T20s in WT20 and add another 4 T20 matches for Dhoni in CLt20, a total f 16 playing days in a time span of nearly 155 days! If thats not enough of a rest wonder what else would be needed for proper rest. Also, even after the round 1 of ranji, there are still 10 days to go before the 1st test starts giving amle time for 'rest'.
You forgot Tests against NZ, I think. Also it was long break break after IPL. And you know before IPL, he played constantly for more than 7-8 months. Only games he missed were due to over rate bans. After the break ended, since then it's been pretty much packed for him. I agree that 10 days rest is enough, but I feel there isn't much harm if he rests in this time.