A chilling recount of the 1984 riots

DomainK

Our country had a very violent birth.What happened to the people who killed so many people then?We learn t to accept such violence because no punishment was meted out .This soon became an acceptable political solution by politicians . Have been watching the victims of the 1984 riots on TV.Can't even imagine what they must be going through.There nightmare continues because they have become the invisible victims .No justice...no hope of justice. People who killed their loved ones are out there ...free and some of them in power. As a nation we should just hang our head in shame for all the people who have been killed in the name of religion or language .

The most shameful thing is how much Congress has managed to completely swept this under the carpet.Almost everyone involved in these riots has escaped scrutiny. U hardly see Rajiv Gandhi ever being mentioned with the sikh riots like Modi is with Gujrat riots. Honestly even though i am not a Sikh , it just pisses me of every time a scheme or road named after Rajiv Gandhi as if he is a Martyr.:((
++

But what purpose does these recounts serve? Why Sikh's always embarrass Hindu's. 28 years have passed' date=' now forget it for god's sake. I feel bad for those who lost their loved one's but India today is fast progressing, modern nation, why create bad image for India and Hinduism. Sikh's give Paki's reason to laugh at India. Countries like England, Canada, USA, AUS are also laughing at us.[/quote'] kya c h e w t i y a post hai??

Unfortunate event, but this tragedy shouldn't be used as a political tool as an excuse for not bringing the culprits of Gujarat 2002 riots. Anyhows...there is a photo exhibition taking place to raise awareness... A photo exhibition capturing the carnage of 1984 serves as a reminder for some, a cathartic act for many, and also a means of raising awareness for all http://www.thehindu.com/arts/it-still-hurts/article4064713.ece?homepage=true

The photographs were also showcased at Delhi University, Ashok Vihar, Jail Road, Patel Nagar, Kalkaji and culminated at Jantar Mantar with a demonstration and a candlelight vigil. On November 9, a public hearing will be held at India International Centre to highlight the State's failure to provide justice to victims of the riots.
Nineteen-year-old Anusha Roy, student at a vocational institute, would have probably never come to know about the carnage of 1984 if it were not for the scores of photographs put up at Gurudwara Bangla Sahib as part of "Forgotten Citizens 1984: Justice Campaign for 1984?" "I know about the Hindu-Muslim riots but not about these Sikh killings, said Anusha moving around wearing a bewildered expression. On the other hand, Bhupinder Singh is trying to identify his relatives amongst a group of 20 widows. "We had six houses in one row in Sagarpur and all male members were finished off. I can identify not all but some of my relatives in this picture. I feel pained and hurt and that's why I am here. The 80 black-and-white frames, most of them not seen before, are a gruesome reminder of the Sikh massacre that shook the nation 28 years ago. "When judiciary, executive, legislature and even media failed us we had no other option but to go to the people, says Jarnail Singh, journalist and author of "I Accuse...The anti-Sikh Violence of 1984?

And guess what happened after this massacare by Congress ? In the 1984 elections held after the assassination of Indira Gandhi , the people of India voted en masses in favour of Congress which won a convincing 80% seats in the parliament and Rajiv Gandhi took over as the PM of the country . And then we have people who talk about " Death of Secularism " , " Flawed Democracy " , " Ashamed to be an Indian " in case Modi becomes the PM of the country as if previously India had a 100% clean track record of electing saints as PM . Modi is actually a lesser evil compared to Shree Bharat Ratna Rajiv Gandhi , the only difference is that the former has been exposed by the media while the latter hasnt .

And guess what happened after this massacare by Congress ? In the 1984 elections held after the assassination of Indira Gandhi , the people of India voted en masses in favour of Congress which won a convincing 80% seats in the parliament and Rajiv Gandhi took over as the PM of the country . And then we have people who talk about " Death of Secularism " , " Flawed Democracy " , " Ashamed to be an Indian " in case Modi becomes the PM of the country as if previously India had a 100% clean track record of electing saints as PM . Modi is actually a lesser evil compared to Shree Bharat Ratna Rajiv Gandhi , the only difference is that the former has been exposed by the media while the latter hasnt .
Both are wrong - does not make anyone better than the other.

I'm a Sikh & I understand the feelings of fellow Hindus who helped Sikhs during the riots to minimize the casualties....some of my posts recently about Delhi riots might not go well with my fellow ICFs...but it is something that had to be mentioned....the unjust system of the so called 'democracy' in India which has not punished the rioters. Why those 84 riots hurt most?....there is a reason....innocent Sikh women were raped & killed, innocent Sikh men & infants burnt alive. There are many posters here who don't give a damn about what happened to Sikhs during riots...it seems like they don't care since they might think it was justified.....while the victims of 84 riots still continue to suffer even today & are awaiting justice...sad
Take a head count if you feel that way - post a specific question and check the response. I will be surprised if the number is "many". I am not one of "those", just in case.

I'm a Sikh & I understand the feelings of fellow Hindus who helped Sikhs during the riots to minimize the casualties....some of my posts recently about Delhi riots might not go well with my fellow ICFs...but it is something that had to be mentioned....the unjust system of the so called 'democracy' in India which has not punished the rioters. Why those 84 riots hurt most?....there is a reason....innocent Sikh women were raped & killed, innocent Sikh men & infants burnt alive. There are many posters here who don't give a damn about what happened to Sikhs during riots...it seems like they don't care since they might think it was justified.....while the victims of 84 riots still continue to suffer even today & are awaiting justice...sad
I'll be very surprised if that is really true; some maybe just too young or not there to be aware of them but for those aware I don't think they are so callous I witnessed live and can never forget all my life

Very good article, sadly brings back memories of many innocents who were killed mercilessly by some anti-social thugs. many Hindus saved Sikhs...be it neighbors or people who felt that Sikhs living in Delhi had nothing to do with Indira Gandhi assassination...many Sikhs on that fateful day who were out early didn't even know why they were being attacked & burnt alive by congress goons. Like Texy mentioned....people who bombed Air India are no less criminals than the rioters...it's a shame only innocents get killed during the riots & terrorist attacks...while the organizers are still enjoying political power and freedom.
Our family hid a couple of skih neighbors in our house in Ranchi. I was only 3-4 years old but sitll remember the confusion and terror vividly. Luckily we didnt have rioters searching our house. Dont remember how big the riots were in Ranchi but this has never gone from my memory

Our family hid a couple of skih neighbors in our house in Ranchi. I was only 3-4 years old but sitll remember the confusion and terror vividly. Luckily we didnt have rioters searching our house. Dont remember how big the riots were in Ranchi but this has never gone from my memory
That was an admirable and noble deed.

That was an admirable and noble deed.
I respect your family's help towards your Sikh neighbors in Ranchi. Lots of Hindus who had Sikh neighbors in Delhi did the same during the riots' date=' only the people hired by the then congress govt did the dirty work. my past strongly worded comments are towards those who were guilty of the crime....sometimes when justice never comes, frustration gets to you.[/quote'] I think most people in that place would have done the same. When we look at riots, we only hear about the lootings and killings and we forget that most people still are decent at heart and help others during riots. I have heard of hindu families saving muslims in Gujrat. Under_Score bhai, of course not being in your place, one can never understand the true depth of emotions running in your heart. Its easy for others to look logically but its equally true that only the wounded will know the true pain of the wound. I make all these comments on the internet but I pray to God that I am never in a position to actually judge any victims and their relatived involved in the riots

1984 anti-Sikh riots: Court reserves judgement on Sajjan Kumar, five others

New Delhi: A Delhi court reserved its judgement in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case in which Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and five others are accused. District Judge JR Aryan fixed the matter for 16 April for clarification, if any, from CBI or the six accused persons after they concluded the final arguments in the case. “Judgement is reserved. To come up for clarification, if any, on 16 April,” the judge said. Concluding the final arguments, CBI prosecutor D P Singh said that the prosecution has limited itself to what each of the witnesses had seen at the time of the incident. The witnesses have given honest versions of what they all had seen during the riots, he said, alleging that in all the complaints wherever Kumar’s name had cropped up, it was “immediately eliminated” from the police records. During the arguments, Kumar’s counsel I U Khan told the court that there were material contradictions in statements of the witnesses, including complainant Jagdish Kaur. Khan said Kaur had not taken Kumar’s name anywhere in any of her affidavits filed before various judicial commissions, constituted to probe the riots-related cases, till 2010. “When she (Kaur) appeared in the court in 2010 to record her statement, she gave us a shock by naming Sajjan Kumar for the first time and said something which was not there in the records,” he argued. Kumar is facing trial along with five others–Balwan Khokkar, Kishan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal – for allegedly inciting a mob against the Sikh community in Delhi Cantonment area. The case relates to anti-Sikh riots that had broken out after the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.

US refuses to declare 1984 anti-Sikh riots in India as ‘genocide’ http://www.firstpost.com/india/us-refuses-to-declare-1984-anti-sikh-riots-in-india-as-genocide-682481.html

Washington: In a jolt to pro-Khalistan groups in the US, the Obama Administration today refused to declare the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in India as genocide, but noted that grave human rights violations had occurred. The White House response in this regard came months after a section of the Sikh community in the US launched an online petition campaign urging the Obama Administration to recognise the 1984 riots as genocide. The petition created on 15 November, 2012, had generated more than 30,000 signatures within weeks. Each petition that crosses the threshold of 25,000 signatures is reviewed and receive a response. “During and after the 1984 violence, the United States monitored and publicly reported on the grave human rights violations that occurred and the atrocities committed against members of the Sikh community,” the White House response said. It noted that the US State Department’s Official Country Reports on Human Rights Practices, for example, covered the violence and its aftermath in detail, with sections on political killings, disappearances, denial of fair public trials, negative effects on freedom of religion, and the government’s response to civil society organizations investigating allegations of human rights violations. “We continue to condemn — and more importantly, to work against – violence directed at people based on their religious affiliation. US Government efforts to protect the rights and freedoms of all people have long been a feature of our foreign policy. Our diplomats regularly report on and speak out against violence against minorities around the world,” the White House said in response to the online petition. Expressing disappointment over the response, the proponents of the petition in a statement said that the Obama Administration “fails to take position on Sikh genocide”. “The response ignores the recent discoveries of mass graves of Sikhs killed during 1984 and falls short of taking a position on the issue of Genocide,” said a statement issued by Gurpatwant S Pannun, who heads the New York-based ‘Sikh for Justice’ group.

But what purpose does these recounts serve? Why Sikh's always embarrass Hindu's. 28 years have passed' date=' now forget it for god's sake. I feel bad for those who lost their loved one's but India today is fast progressing, modern nation, why create bad image for India and Hinduism. Sikh's give Paki's reason to laugh at India. Countries like England, Canada, USA, AUS are also laughing at us.[/quote'] My post is proved correct, Sikhs are indeed raising issues in ENG/CA/USA/OZ. Now can you say my post was c h e w t i y a ? Read Dexter Morgan's post, they are maligning India and Hinduism abroad. Jai Sri Ram.

My post is proved correct, Sikhs are indeed raising issues in ENG/CA/USA/OZ. Now can you say my post was c h e w t i y a ? Read Dexter Morgan's post, they are maligning India and Hinduism abroad. Jai Sri Ram.
Why will they not raise issues when the perpetrators behind these acts are still roaming free? And why not internationally when India has failed to convict many of these criminals even after 30 odd years? And whats the point of saying Jai Sri Ram apart from pretending your position is a hindu position, when it is obviously not so?