Wright adapted better than Chappell - Dravid

suma25

spacer.gif Indian captain says ODI loss will overshadow Test win Wright adapted better than Chappell - Dravid Cricinfo staff September 2, 2007 spacer.gif307554.jpg?alt=1 Rahul Dravid: "Tension is a good thing within a team, but it needs to be creative, not destructive" © Getty Images Rahul Dravid, the Indian captain, has suggested that John Wright adapted better as a coach than his successor Greg Chappell, whose tenure ended after India's early exit from the World Cup earlier this year. "Tension is a good thing within a team, but it needs to be creative, not destructive," said Dravid in an interview to the Sunday Telegraph. "John Wright had similar problems at the start but unlike Greg he was prepared to adapt. By the end he [Wright] was more Indian than the Indians." India are yet to appoint a coach since Chappell left, and the success in the Test series against England had many suggesting that perhaps a coach is not needed after all. However, India have Venkatesh Prasad and Robin Singh as bowling and fielding coach for the tour, with Chandu Borde as manager. The Indian board are set to appoint a coach before Australia visit for seven ODIs in October. When asked if he felt captaincy was a burden, Dravid replied, "Burden is too strong a word and people say that because of how I look. I'm not naturally a cheery-looking soul on the field. I do enjoy it but there are aspects I find tough. What I find hardest is the absolute lack of proportion. It makes it very hard to build a team when two or three bad games provoke such an extreme reaction [from fans and media]." Dravid also said his critics would soon forget the win in the Test series if India were to go on to lose the ODI series, which they trail 3-1. © Cricinfo there you have it even dravid was not that comfortable with chappel

Basically begs the question - Do we need a foreign coach in the first place ? But unfortunately if we are going to have nut cases like Kapil , Gavaskar and Srikkanth as past candidates and future prospects for that post , we might as well endure the pains of a foreigner.

Has Dravid become a gangulian now?
Thats a good question. I do have to say that the fanatism of the Gangulians and their Zealot-ness is scary. Maybe they scared Dravid into toeing their line. But I am curious, what did Dravid say that made him a Gangulian? What was inconsistent about his statement. Even the most ardent of GC fans would readily admit that Wright was ways better than GC in managing Team India. Doesnt make SG's shananigans of holding onto power and his laziness any less evil

A little too late Rahul for this statement. Rahul should have done this way before if he felt the training methods were destructive. I didn't hear anyone other than of course Ganguly say that during Chappell's regime. The likes of Tendulkar and Rahul have only now started to speak their mind. Here is where lies the problem. I don't subscribe to Ganguly's views either particularly making one helluva noise after scoring a hundred against Zimbabwe. Each one of them were selfish in their own rights. Everyone wanted to play safe and not worry about the longer term or future of Indian cricket.

With the kind of drama the media was doing with the Chappell name ...it was better that Dravid chose to not say much Ravi. If you could see the channells in India ...you would know the reason. One sentence by any of the stars is enough material to get them started on a day long show with opinion polls and dial in question and answer shows.

Guest dada_rocks
With the kind of drama the media was doing with the Chappell name ...it was better that Dravid chose to not say much Ravi. If you could see the channells in India ...you would know the reason. One sentence by any of the stars is enough material to get them started on a day long show with opinion polls and dial in question and answer shows.[/quote] :hysterical: so true.. incidentally they seldom collect information from more than 1000 samples.. and the way these guys invite few socalled experts and sit there analyzing those percentage numbers with all seriousness evokes nothing but laughter.. somone please tell these nutters that 1000 kind of number is as good as deducting from single sample in a country like india