Warne kept me on my toes: Tendulkar

King

Sachin Tendulkar, rated as the greatest batsman by Shane Warne, has duly returned the compliment by describing him as "as good a bowler as I faced". More... Warne kept me on my toes: Tendulkar PTI LONDON, September 3: Sachin Tendulkar, rated as the greatest batsman by legendary leg-spinner Shane Warne in his list of top 50 cricketers, has duly returned the compliment by describing the Australian as "as good a bowler as I faced". While Warne's rankings were being debated for the lowly rating of former Australia captain Steve Waugh and the absence of Australians in the top three, Tendulkar said he would always treasure this. "That's special. That's very special. I will absolutely treasure this," Tendulkar told 'The Times' newspaper after reading Warne's list. "I've been around for 18 years and Shane has played against me all that time. It feels wonderful when someone of his stature appreciates your performances," he said. Tendulkar said Warne was always a challenge to play, even when he was not taking wickets. "Every time I played against Shane, he was always extremely challenging and competitive. He was as good a bowler as I faced. But his greatness was that, even when he was not taking wickets, he was still coming at you all the time. "If he hadn't taken a single wicket throughout the day, I still felt I had to focus as much on the last ball as I had on the first few balls of the day. So I always preferred to be on my toes." Five Australians made Warne's top 10 in his 'The Times' column, with Allan Border the highest ranked at number four. Warne said he rated Tendulkar as his number one cricketer ahead of former West Indian captain Brian Lara because he performed under enormous pressure. "He and Brian Lara are the two best batsmen of my time. They are hard to separate. If I was chasing 400 in a day then I would probably take Brian because of his flair and placement. Otherwise, Sachin's technique under relentless pressure to perform would give him the edge," Warne said.

Patting each other's back here I guess. Lara was a little more forthcoming than Tendulkar when McGrath described Lara as the best ever batsman he has bowled to. Lara took the compliment but then went on to describe Akram as the best ever bowler he faced. I'm sure Tendulkar must have felt McGrath as his worst nemises considering McGrath time and again took Tendulkar out post 2000. Tendulkar mostly won the battles against McGrath prior 2000 and McGrath got Tendulkar often post 2000. Warne on the other hand never really had the better of Tendulkar. It seemed as if Warne was sick and tired of bowling to Tendulkar. In fact he even ended up bowling bouncers at Tendulkar after frequent failed attempts of bowling leg spin.

chandan he did once.. i remember him speaking to media that he doesn't like facing Abdul razzaq.. i think by that time abdul razaq had got tendulkar out twice or something.. btw @ topic, well Tendulkar always play a safe game when such thingz come.. though tendulkar might have not meant that warney was tough to face or something, but still he came up with "warne kept me on my toes." just to finish up the matter lol.. come on here India are about to face follow on or trailing by some 300 runz and this Tendulkar guy keepz coming down the track to whack warney for four or six... i don't think warney ever kept Tendulkar on his toes..