Who should take responsibility for poor fielding and bowling?

novpj

I remember the threads on Robin Singh and Prasad when they were appointed fielding and bowling coaches respectively. As is typical on this forum - fans went overboard and started predicting a quick turnaround. The fans associate both Robin and Prasad with grit, players who cared and thought that they would instill the same in the team. The ODI series is not over yet but if we look at the performances - our fielding has been bad in both the tests and the ODIs. Our bowling was great in the test matches (specially Zaheer and RP were great) but it has been pathetic in the ODIs. Specially the fast bowlers have been miserable in the ODIs. What has the BCCI done - it has extended the contracts further tying up the hands of a coach. No wonder we cant find good candidates to coach team India. IMO Prasad and Robin would do Indian cricket a favor by stepping down and letting the new coach bring his own staff.

My point is not to bash Ganguly's of the world. It is simply to state that Robin has not delivered and extending his contract doesnt make sense. Frankly, I would have said the same even if he had done well becoz in my opinion a new coach should have free hand in picking his staff. However, this problem is exacerbated given Robin and Prasad's inability to deliver in ODIs.

I don't think Robin asked the players to unlearn catching and fielding. At this level, the coach can only polish the existing skills and not teach basics like how to catch!! The players themselves are responsible for the lousy fielding!

IMO the focus on fielding has reduced. Yes its players but where did this generous view go when you were blaming Chappell for not getting along with them. Isnt it Robin's job to get them to focus on fielding and perform better on the field? Also doesnt seem like we can drop many players on the basis of poor fielding (since culprits are the much adored SRT, Ganguly etc. ) so to bring a change in the coaching ranks is the only option to get their attention.

Have you been to the practice sessions of India regularly on this tour?
the proof of the pudding is in eating it. We can only see the results. The results show that the same fielders who under chappel were atleast competent are now absymal. Make your own deductions. Our team looks like one who doesnt even do the basics right ... and practice doesnt make u lose basics :)