In quest of India's national dish.... what is it?

Nova

Is there any dish which is made by everyone, in India, on a given occasion such as a festival or holiday. For example: 1. Turkey roast is THE national dish on the occasion of Thanksgiving in the US, and everyone makes it. 2. Burgers/hot dogs barbecue on 4th of July (American Independence Day). I can't think of any single dish which everyone makes on a festival or holiday, in India. :hmmm:

Is there any dish which is made by everyone, in India, on a given occasion such as a festival or holiday. For example: 1. Turkey roast is THE national dish on the occasion of Thanksgiving in the US, and everyone makes it. 2. Burgers/hot dogs barbecue on 4th of July (American Independence Day). I can't think of any single dish which everyone makes on a festival or holiday, in India. :hmmm:
Everyone makes some sort of daal on most occasions. Also, rice is part of every main course. Pakora is another. Some sort of pakora is made in every family. overall I think Punjabi food is known is the "Indian food" by foreigners because most restaurants will serve this. Samosa...pani puri etc are universal

Everyone makes some sort of daal on most occasions. Also, rice is part of every main course. Pakora is another. Some sort of pakora is made in every family. overall I think Punjabi food is known is the "Indian food" by foreigners because most restaurants will serve this. Samosa...pani puri etc are universal
That;s all ok, but I am looking for a single unifying dish made on holidays. Can't think of one in India.

Pongal for Sankranti......Ugadi Pacchadi(Pickle) for Ugadi-Telugu New Year......Pooran Poli in Maharashtr for Sankranti I think,,Biryani during Eid etc...obviously Desi sweets for Diwali

That;s all ok' date=' but I am looking for a single unifying dish made on holidays. Can't think of one in India.[/quote'] what? Daal Chawal doesn't count? and a blob of meat between two buns does? Daal Chawal is probably over eaten. Also, not only do we have it over the holidays but at least 200 of the 365 days in the year.

Yep. We are very diverse and interesting that way. I hope we remain so.

India's national dish is - KASAM :cantstop: No I have not made a typo there, I literally mean it. Jisko dekho din mein ek aad baar "Kasam" toh khaa hi leta hai. Kabhi "Arey maa kasam yaar, kya faadu pichhar hai" toh kabhi "Kasam se yaar, woh subject bada hi boring hai", and sometimes, you change the language "I swear !!!!!! These traffics are gonna kill me" :D So Kasam is the national food of India
:hysterical::hysterical: