• Announcements

• Trichromatic

IPL forum is open now   01/29/2018

Discuss about IPL at http://www.indiancricketfans.com/forums/forum/19-ipl-forum/
Sign in to follow this  
Nova

In quest of India's national dish.... what is it?

Paradise Biriyani is lame :confused: It was awesome when I had it few years back. Even chota mota restaurants in Secunderabad serve awesome biriyani. The food is the only good thing about that city.
Awesome no more, I went there last year and the food served there was way under par. I know Hyderabadi's hype up their dum biryani as if it is the next best thing since sliced bread but come on, there are better alternatives. I personally prefer the Mughlai variant.

there is no pride in being a national symbol in india.. just look at the list.. national river : ganges, most polluted, national animal: tiger, endangered, national flower: lotus, no one knows no one cares..and the unofficial national game: hockey..so poor that the players go on hunger strike for their wages... so if you want the same fate for your favourite dish go ahead and nominate it as the national dish.

there is no pride in being a national symbol in india.. just look at the list.. national river : ganges' date=' most polluted, national animal: tiger, endangered, national flower: lotus, no one knows no one cares..and the unofficial national game: hockey..so poor that the players go on hunger strike for their wages... so if you want the same fate for your favourite dish go ahead and nominate it as the national dish.[/quote'] :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Brilliant observation! :hatsoff:

Awesome no more, I went there last year and the food served there was way under par. I know Hyderabadi's hype up their dum biryani as if it is the next best thing since sliced bread but come on, there are better alternatives. I personally prefer the Mughlai variant.
but It IS better than sliced bread. :dontknow:

You can make Hyderbadi Dum Biryani at home also. The special taste is not in the name or in a restaurant, rather in the way it is made and how the veggies/spices are layered with the rice to finish the dish and get it the special taste. BTW, you also get Hyderabad Biryani powders, add them to any Biryani you make and it will enhance the flavor.

there is no pride in being a national symbol in india.. just look at the list.. national river : ganges' date=' most polluted, national animal: tiger, endangered, national flower: lotus, no one knows no one cares..and the unofficial national game: hockey..so poor that the players go on hunger strike for their wages... so if you want the same fate for your favourite dish go ahead and nominate it as the national dish.[/quote'] :two_thumbs_up:

I thought the thread was for a national dish? It has to be idli/dosa, Samosa or tea (if drinks included). For non-veg eaters like me, it is Biryani no doubt. I always thought Hyderabadi Biryani to be the epitome of the dish, but just last year had this: Lucknowi_Biryani.jpg GHOSHT AWADHI BIRYANI (even Chicken option is available). Believe me, it can give Hyderabadi Biryani a run for its money.

You can make Hyderbadi Dum Biryani at home also. The special taste is not in the name or in a restaurant' date=' rather in the way it is made and how the veggies/spices are layered with the rice to finish the dish and get it the special taste. BTW, you also get Hyderabad Biryani powders, add them to any Biryani you make and it will enhance the flavor.[/quote'] Most importantly do not let the steam escape. My mom seals the vessel with wheat dough. Of course, do not forget to caramelize the onions. :two_thumbs_up:

Most importantly do not let the steam escape. My mom seals the vessel with wheat dough. Of course' date=' do not forget to caramelize the onions. :two_thumbs_up:[/quote'] HAHA your suggestion reminds me of one of my cook uncle from my school trips back in the late nineties. We used to call him Khansahab. He was from East Pakistan originally but of Bihari origin, living in Delhi at that time. Used to make the most delicious biryanis I ever had during my childhood.