'Raped' senior citizen admits to consensual sex

Desi Cartman

MUMBAI: A 62-year-old retired schoolteacher from Powai, who claimed that she had been raped by a courier firm staffer, has admitted to having "consensual sex" with him. The development assumes significance as immediately after the incident was reported, there was uproar over the security of the senior citizen in the city. "I was surprised when I learnt that the woman had lodged a false complaint of rape after her daughter learnt about her relationship with the courier firm employee," said Mumbai police chief Satya Pal Singh. The 62-year-old woman who pleaded guilty said she filed the false complaint to avoid embarrassment. The police will have to close the case, sources said classifying it either 'B or C summary' (false and malicious) , or neither true nor false. A senior police officer said they may even prosecute the woman for filing a false case and misleading the government machinery. "We will be filing the appropriate summary before the Andheri court soon," said a senior police officer on the condition of anonymity. On December 9, the senior citizen lodged a rape case with the Powai police. She claimed that a 45-year-old acquaintance raped her in her flat in Shanti Tower on Marol Military Road, Powai. In her complaint, she alleged that the accused, who was employed at a managerial post at Vapi in Gujarat, entered her house on the pretext of dropping a letter and raped her. According to the police, the senior citizen was initially reluctant to lodge a complaint fearing that her son, who stays with his family in Mangalore, and her daughter would face stigma. The courier firm staffer had befriended her a few months ago. Neighbours claimed that the senior citizen has been staying alone in her flat since her husband died two years ago. After the woman complained, the accused was arrested on the charges of rape and remanded in police custody. The matter came to light when the victim called her daughter, who stays with her family in Qatar, and said she was unwell and needed help. "The victim's daughter called her friend who stays nearby and asked her to rush to her mother. The friend then took the victim to a private clinic in the locality. After examining her, the doctor suggested shifting her to Bombay Hospital. The doctors called the police around 12.30am on December 10," said a police officer. Deputy police commissioner (zone X) Dr Cherring Dorje said, "Prima facie, the medical examination showed that she was raped. Based on the complaint, we booked the accused." said Dorje.

Falsely accusing someone of rape like this is as big a crime.She has done to the man's reputation what she accused him of doing.Shameful! Also shameful that people in this country are so scared of social opinion .
Precisely and this is the reason why death sentence for rape is not appropriate.

Precisely and this is the reason why death sentence for rape is not appropriate.
There are ways to prove rape happened. In cases of gangrapes and child rapes....there is no other alternative to death penalty. When there is enough evidence ....death punishment is the only answer. In this case she had accused him but this case was way short of being proven as rape.The man should now make her pay for leveling such accusation.

She has also commited crime against the poor girl who suffered in Delhi few days back. Because of such false complaints, police, judiciary all start taking these complaints lightly and won't take rape complaints with the seriousness they should be. As long as such false complaints keep happening I can't advocate very strict punishment for rape. Can somebody feel the pain of accused who would wonder each day that would I be hanged or would I be told to spend 10 precious years of my life behind four walls of prison without doing anything wrong? He would keep pleading to anybody who would lend him an ear that I am an innocent but nobody would believe.

There are ways to prove rape happened. In cases of gangrapes and child rapes....there is no other alternative to death penalty. When there is enough evidence ....death punishment is the only answer. In this case she had accused him but this case was way short of being proven as rape.The man should now make her pay for leveling such accusation.
You need to look at the definition of rape the way it has been defined in Indian law. Any consensual sex can be complained as Rape as per indian law if female partnet wishes so. She just has to say that I agreed because of some false promises that accussed had given to her. As long as rape definition is not changed in indian law, even current sentence (7 years to Life imprisonment) is too strict. I may agree that barbaric act like the one of Delhi deserves life punishment but you can't simply put all kind of rapes in same bracket. Ultimately root evil is corruption. All laws would be rendered ineffective if law enforcement is not proper. Stricter punishment would just mean higher amount of bribe for which police will let a criminal get away.

Poor woman, she was lonely, she needed someone to be with, she probably fell in love, got intimate with the man...its her personal feckin life...is our media responsible? Making money at the merry of 62 year old senior citizen's agony :headshake:. This woman should be appreciated rather than criticised, for sheer admitting that it was consensual sex, in front of media, police and her family. :hatsoff: old lady.

Poor woman' date=' she was lonely, she needed someone to be with, she probably fell in love, got intimate with the man...its her personal feckin life...is our media responsible? Making money at the merry of 62 year old senior citizen's agony :headshake:. This woman should be appreciated rather than criticised, for sheer admitting that it was consensual sex, in front of media, police and her family. :hatsoff: old lady.[/quote'] But first she complained to police that she has been raped. Why should she be appreciated ??

Poor woman' date=' she was lonely, she needed someone to be with, she probably fell in love, got intimate with the man...its her personal feckin life...is our media responsible? Making money at the merry of 62 year old senior citizen's agony :headshake:. This woman should be appreciated rather than criticised, for sheer admitting that it was consensual sex, in front of media, police and her family. :hatsoff: old lady.[/quote'] What about the poor guy who helped her in her lonliness.? How do you think he feels about being accused of a heinous crime?How do you think he feels about having to deal with the police? Now this stupid woman will be truly lonely in life.

Only draw-back which I see in that (death penalty) is that in case someone rapes he will then 100% murder the victim because punishment for rape and murder both will be death and he will want to destroy the evidence. So there will be a lot more murders in rape when currently most times the victim is left alive

But first she complained to police that she has been raped. Why should she be appreciated ??
Who told you that "she" lodged a complaint to police that she was raped?? From what i read in the newspapers and media reports, the lady called her daughter up in qatar that she was unwell, her daughter acted upon this and sent a relative who later took her to the hospital, upon examination doctors who revealed that the lady had an intercourse, here i think rather than admitting that she is dating someone at 62 she might have cooked sh#t up, but upon further interrogation she revealed that it was consensual...She wanted to avoid humiliation in front of her family, quite understandable eh? And she deserves an appreciation, cos when you are 62, a widowed living alone, and in a relationship with someone who is 20 years younger to you, and to come out and admit your mistake, takes balls !!

What about the poor guy who helped her in her lonliness.? How do you think he feels about being accused of a heinous crime?How do you think he feels about having to deal with the police? Now this stupid woman will be truly lonely in life.
Just relax before you hang her! Feel for the lady... Its not as if he has to undergo some sort of punishment or something..You have to consider her age also while blaming her for not coming out initially, obviously she had to cook up some stories to escape humiliation from the society..As a society we have not matured enough to understand the plight of a lonely old woman indulging in intercourse, people land society would laugh at her and she has to face social stigma, I can understand if she had cooked up this story...But rightly she had moral courage to accept her mistake to save the accused..Credit to the lady...

Only draw-back which I see in that (death penalty) is that in case someone rapes he will then 100% murder the victim because punishment for rape and murder both will be death and he will want to destroy the evidence. So there will be a lot more murders in rape when currently most times the victim is left alive
+1, agree with you totally, the cry for death penalty is inappropriate, it should be cut down to a rigourous jail of 15 to 18 years, also i was having a discussion once with a friends dad who is a cop, he said once found guilty of rape and prosecuted for 7 years, the rape accused goes through a living hell in jails, these things are not revealed either by police or court..but its a given that these rape accused undergoes the deadliest of 3rd degrees in jails.

+1' date=' agree with you totally, the cry for death penalty is inappropriate, it should be cut down to a rigourous jail of 15 to 18 years, also i was having a discussion once with a friends dad who is a cop, he said once found guilty of rape and prosecuted for 7 years, the rape accused goes through a living hell in jails, these things are not revealed either by police or court..but its a given that these rape accused undergoes the deadliest of 3rd degrees in jails.[/quote'] why are these things not revealed?I would think they would act as deterrent if they are