Fantastic win for India, top knock by the usual culprit and the "Mascarenhas' massacre"

fineleg

Fantastic win for India, top knock by the usual culprit and the "Mascarenhas' massacre" India's series leveling win, Tendulkar and Ganguly's opening partnership, Uthappa's enterprising batting, Luke Wright's confident debut, Zaheer's awesome spell, Owais's timely hundred were all excellent watch but one special achievement that should have stood out was masked due to India's win i.e "Mascarenhas' massacre" Forget Dhoni, forget Gilly, forget KP, this man can send the ball a long way with minimal fuss. That was some clean hitting off the last over fetching 30 runs. I'm not aware of any last over in an ODI fetching as many as 30 runs and in particular 5 sixes off the last 5 balls. This fella may not look convincing or may not look a star but boy can he hit the ball when there is a need. Despite feeling hurt at Rahul's decision to bowl Yuvi and Yuvi going for an embarrassing 30 runs in the last five balls I couldn't quite not appreciate Mascarenhas. That was one awesome feat. A similar feat by say Dhoni or Afridi or Gayle would have set the world on fire but the unassuming Mascarenhas' feat will be forgotten pretty quickly largely because of the Indian series leveling win. India will not have had to sweat to win this one but for this man going berserk in the end. After India's win, Mascarenhas' feat of 5 sixes off the last 5 balls stands out for me. I think this will end up as a one timer and a record that won't be broken for decades.

I posted a similar thread but with more appreciative words :D All I can say is one for the memory the last night's 5 sixes in a row. I think "THE" best hitting I've seen in the death given the situation and experience he has in international cricket.

Ravi , this guy is just swiping through the line of the ball. No timing , just muscling it away. He is connecting now , so good for him. But i dont exactly expect him to set the world on fire. Quicker , more clever bowlers will sort him out.
No timing??? Forget it mate, you can't appreciate good cricket. :D BTW please let me know a similar feat in ODIs in the last over and I will consider this wasn't a top feat.

Can we merge the two threads please ? I have to say Yuvraj bowled pathetically throughout the last over. All balls were on leg or outside leg-stump, when it is evidently clear that mid-on to square is Dmitri's hitting zone. Even in the 2nd match , all of his 5 sixes were in that region. And surely Yuvi should have realized this ATLEAST after the 2nd six. He just kept spearing the ball on a length on leg-stump and the guy just clearing left-leg and kept giving the ball an almighty thump. Yuvraj could have even bowled a short ball outside off-stump. It would have made it more difficult for Mascarenhas to get leverage and lift the ball , given that he is predominantly bottom handed player.

No timing??? Forget it mate, you can't appreciate good cricket. :D BTW please let me know a similar feat in ODIs in the last over and I will consider this wasn't a top feat.
Ravi , I never said all his hits were flukes. I am just saying - Today he connected , also aided by some poor bowling. Yuvraj just feeding his hitting zone , ball after ball after ball.
Can we merge the two threads please ? I have to say Yuvraj bowled pathetically throughout the last over. All balls were on leg or outside leg-stump, when it is evidently clear that mid-on to square is Dmitri's hitting zone. Even in the 2nd match , all of his 5 sixes were in that region. And surely Yuvi should have realized this ATLEAST after the 2nd six. He just kept spearing the ball on a length on leg-stump and the guy just clearing left-leg and kept giving the ball an almighty thump. Yuvraj could have even bowled a short ball outside off-stump. It would have made it more difficult for Mascarenhas to get leverage and lift the ball , given that he is predominantly bottom handed player.
Geez.... 5 sixes off the last 5 balls don't mean anything to you? I suggest you take a bat, go to the center and try and hit 5 out of 5 off throw downs (not even bowling) to see how many times you can clear the rope.
Geez.... 5 sixes off the last 5 balls don't mean anything to you? I suggest you take a bat' date=' go to the center and try and hit 5 out of 5 off throw downs (not even bowling) to see how many times you can clear the rope.[/quote'] Ravi , i have hit 4 sixes in a row, all over mid-wicket. That doesnt make me a good batsman. The bowler just kept bowling to my strength area and i just kept swinging.
Ravi ' date=' I never said all his hits were flukes. I am just saying - Today he connected , also aided by some poor bowling. Yuvraj just feeding his hitting zone , ball after ball after ball.[/quote'] It doesn't matter what you say but 5 sixes in a row and that off the last over against any type of bowling is a top achievement. We are appreciating him because "Today he connected". A record like this will not happen everyday or may never happen again if you are going to wait that long to appreciate :P
It doesn't matter what you say but 5 sixes in a row and that off the last over against any type of bowling is a top achievement. We are appreciating him because "Today he connected". A record like this will not happen everyday or may never happen again if you are going to wait that long to appreciate :P
Am actually not able to figure out what we are debating over actually. You have seen and want to appreciate one aspect of Mascarenhas's batting. I have no probs with that. I say this guy wont last long. Am i not entitled to my opinion ? right or wrong ?

Cricket quiz Olonga to bowl the final over of the innings pulls out of the delivery 49.1 Olonga to XXXXXXX, one run, pitched up on the block hole 49.2 Olonga to YYYYYYYY, one run, pitched up on the off, goes for his shot, mi****s it to the mid wicket region 49.3 Olonga to XXXXXXX, SIX, fulltoss on the middle and leg, massive hit over the mid wicket fence, great shot 49.4 Olonga to XXXXXXX, SIX, pitched up on the middle and leg, XXXXXXX gives him self room and despatches it over the long on fence 49.5 Olonga to XXXXXXX, SIX, another fulltoss on the slot, another massive hit over the mid wicket fence, the Young man is on a roll, 3 in a row 49.6 Olonga to XXXXXXX, wide: no run, Olonga is having a bad time here, tries for for a slow delivery, goes very wide out side the off 49.6 Olonga to XXXXXXX, SIX, pitched up on the middle and leg, another huge hit over the long on fence, this one goes miles into the crowd, 4 in a row for XXXXXXX and Olonga Is XXXXXX is a great batsman ? :D

Am actually not able to figure out what we are debating over actually. You have seen and want to appreciate one aspect of Mascarenhas's batting. I have no probs with that. I say this guy wont last long. Am i not entitled to my opinion ? right or wrong ?
Forget appreciation for the guy you are in fact discrediting him by saying it was plain bad bowling and not much of a feat. Anyhow the thread was not about how long he is going to last, it was about how well he hit those 5 sixes off the last 5 balls. Never in the history of cricket has this happened and you are debating whether he is going to last long. I don't see much of a connection there Sriram. Whatever the reasons that was one top feat achieved by none so far (I'm quite sure about that) i.e making it a special feat.

Fine. You are seeing this feat today in isolation and want to give credit for that. Again i say , I have abs no problems with that. But surely , am i not allowed to post on a different line related to the topic , saying that Yuvraj bowled badly and fed Mascarenhas' strength ? Anyways...