Uthappa and Gambhir

King

Needless to say both should be persisted with. Sure they have a little loose technique but they can improve on that. I think Gambhir after the first few balls trying to nudge around took the attack to the opposition and was quite good down the ground. Uthappa although not the usually attractive looking Indian batters has a calm demeanor, cool and collected. It's not like he knocked off 20 odd runs in a quick time. Taking into account the situation of the game and the fact that losing the game meaning India was out of the contention in this ODI series Uthappa was rather matured in his approach. I think these two should be persisted with and both have good enough ability to carry the Indian ODI side forward in future. When couple of young guys succeed in a crunch that shows their ability to cope under pressure. Such ones should be persisted with for few years even if they have a bad run. More often than not these will succeed in the long run.

Very True. Even Rahul Dravid pointed out this in the post match presentation ,saying that for someone who is just 21 , Uthappa showed good composure and calm. Gambhir has had bit more exposure and hence it is generally expected of him more to deliver when the pressure gets huge. And this is precisely the reason i desperately want to know what happend to Raina. I still cant forget the partnerships he has had with Dhoni , calmly steering India to victories in tight run chases. Uthappa surpassed everybody's expectation today. Hats off to him !

Am not sure about Gambhir. He only manages to score when conditions for batting are easy. Almost every single time, when he came up against bigger bowlers or even slightly difficult batting conditions, he has failed. Uthappa however always had my backing in the shorter version, ever since i saw him against WI at home. I love his positive attitude. Very similar to Dhoni, Sehwag, KKD interms of traits. He was unfairly dropped after the world cup (as if he were the lone failure). Hopefully we persist with him in the next couple of series.

Uthappa has sealed his spot for another 10 ODIs. Let's see what he does.
It didn't quite come easy to him too. He had to wait for quite some time before getting a look in after the World cup. The likes of Gambhir and Karthik were preferred over Uthappa repeatedly. Lest this shows Rahul is not the one to push for his blokes coming from the same domestic team. I wish he doesn't play Agarkar that often though.

Ravi, I'm still not convinced about Gambhir. He has a faulty technique and rarely does anything against good bowlers. Yesterday he batted okay. I'm very impressed with Uthappa though who was batting in an unfamiliar role and yet came out with flying colours under such severe pressure!

Very True. And this is precisely the reason i desperately want to know what happend to Raina. I still cant forget the partnerships he has had with Dhoni , calmly steering India to victories in tight run chases. Uthappa surpassed everybody's expectation today. Hats off to him !
Read the India A vs SA A thread.