Rumors, Retirement, and Records

Rumors have become an ethos of the Indian culture. Many people have lost their lives to rumors in communally sensitive parts of the country, governments have fallen on their back, and the country spends countless man hours on them at the nearest paan shop. So much so that the Indian Penal Code has an act forbidding the circulation of rumors. They come in all hues, from the blatantly false to the insider's guide. The latest to hit us is that of Sachin Tendulkar's retirement. It's origin are "sources close to Tendulkar". It's veracity will be confirmed or denied in the coming months, but like all other rumors, it's got the country moving again. The media and followers of the game have come out with an entire range of reactions, with tabloids masquerading as newspapers adding more to what the initial "sources" are rumored to have said, TV channels producing never ending and banal talk shows about the retirement, the online world buzzing with activity, and in all probability an increase in sale of paans in India. Reportedly, Tendulkar feels one dayers are taking too much out of him. It would be difficult to argue with that because ODIs have increasingly become a young man's game and once the professionalism of the great cricketer is factored in, the desire to stay abreast with the youngest members of the team would be there. It's a very realistic scenario that at 34 and with 18 years of international cricket behind him, he finds it taxing. The biggest prize in ODIs is a good 4 years away and to take another shot at it would mean playing around a 100 more ODIs spread across the entire globe. From an individual perspective, there is very little that Tendulkar is left to achieve in the game. He has entertained crowds all over the world with a presence at the crease seldom seen, to pile records that are unlikely to be broken over the next decade. He hasn't been a part of a major championship win, so there is a lot to strive for as part of a team. There would be the desire to give the Champions' Trophy next year one last shot, held back by wanting to prolong his career in the format which he enjoys more. Retirement is always a tough call. It presents an uncomfortable void, something which Tendulkar might be planning to mitigate by calling it a day in only one form of the game. While there have been arguments about his effectiveness as a Test batsman, his ODI form has remain unblemished. Whether it's attacking the bowling or anchoring the innings, he is still the master of ODI batting. But the intensity of the game has meant an increasing number of innings cut short by cramps and an additional battle he fights with his body in those sojourns. He still unfurls the strokes with the same fervor, still stretches his body between the wickets and on the field, and is never shy of having a go at the opposition batsmen with the ball, all in a space of 6 hours of some time unforgiving playing conditions. Test cricket offers him a more leisurely pace and a scenario where he doesn't have to compete with time and overs continuously. It's apparent in the contrast of the innings he plays in the formats, a quick dash versus hours of languid concentration. With age, perhaps he is finding the quick dashes are taking a toll on the hours of concentration. Perhaps a time to make the choice has come and if these rumors are true then the country should respect the choice, celebrate the wonderful moments he has given us, and enjoy whatever path the great cricketer and humble person chooses to take. Maybe that's asking too much of a nation which desires sensationalism over news, heroes over performers, and records over runs......

Perhaps a time to make the choice has come and if these rumors are true then the country should respect the choice, celebrate the wonderful moments he has given us, and enjoy whatever path the great cricketer and humble person chooses to take. Maybe that's asking too much of a nation which desires sensationalism over news, heroes over performers, and records over runs......
I think the time has certainly come for him to make a choice. Still, I'd have preferred, if he had gone slow on it, ie, first playing selectively in these ODIs for say a year and then quitting it. Still, it is he, who has to take the decision, and I'll respect from my heart whatever decision he takes!!

Enjoyed that hugely, Shwetabh. It's a bit like the Y2K scenario. Will the sun still come up, the computers still work, the fridge still run the day Sachin retires, even on a limited basis? Gee, for all the consternation it generates, we might as well stock up the goodies and head for the cellar, just in case...

Wow , nice read Shwetabh. Wonder how i missed this till now. It is VERY true that half the media survives on sensationalism rather than news. It is an uncomfortable reality we have to get used to. I would like to point out one thing though, which i have said in a related thread too.There is no smoke without fire. I have a feeling Sachin wont stay forever in the one-day game. I didnt give more than an 12-15 months at max. Seems like he has decided to go earlier, which is understandable. Almost in EVERY single big innings off late , he has suffered from cramps or other niggles. I think his body has had enough.

Good read. IMO, the entire issue was sparked by Cricinfo. They are still stuck with the issue and are now claiming that Tendulkar's denial was not his words, but somebody else's. How TF does it matter and why are they interested in his retirement talk so much. What is their gain, if Tendulkar retires. Stupid facks, should leave Tendulkar and the Indian team alone.

Good read. IMO, the entire issue was sparked by Cricinfo. They are still stuck with the issue and are now claiming that Tendulkar's denial was not his words, but somebody else's. How TF does it matter and why are they interested in his retirement talk so much. What is their gain, if Tendulkar retires. Stupid facks, should leave Tendulkar and the Indian team alone.
CRAPINFO is nothing more than media arm of the ECB. It shouldn't come to suprise anyone. This is how the british media works (look how they overplayed the pak team tampering incident, bob woolmer's death, greg chappel resigning etc). They want Tendulkar to retire simply because he's not white and they know the longer he continues to play the harder it's going to be to for a batsman to break Sachin's run record.