Transfer rumours and news thread -- 2013/14

Sidhoni

Liverpool sign striker Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea

Liverpool: Daniel Sturridge became Liverpool's first signing of the January transfer window on Wednesday when the striker completed his move from Chelsea. The 23-year-old England international has joined Liverpool for around 12 million pounds ($19.6 million) after struggling to establish himself in the starting lineup since joining Chelsea from Manchester City in July 2011. Now Sturridge will be hoping to kickstart his career at Liverpool, which is languishing in 10th place in the English Premier League. "I am humbled and happy to be here," Sturridge said. "(Manager) Brendan Rodgers said he sees me here for a long time - and I also see myself here for a long time. I've not signed here to play for a couple of years and then move on. "I've signed to be here for as long as possible. It's a humongous club - for me, one of the biggest in the world - and to have the fans and world-class players we have here is amazing." Liverpool described the contract as long term without elaborating.

Di Matteo shouldn't have been sacked in first place and even after his sacking' date=' there were better managers than Benitez. Going by Abramovich's pattern, Benitez can't stay after this season.[/quote'] Youre right abt RDM, but there are not too many better than Rafa who were available. Rafa gets stick but he is a top manager. Dont win UEFA Cup, Two La Ligas, and a (very flukey) CL being a mug.

Chelsea confirm Demba Ba signing

Demba Ba insisted it was an easy decision to sign for the Champions League winners after his move to Chelsea was confirmed by the club. The Senegal striker has signed a three-and-a-half-year contract after his move from Newcastle for an undisclosed fee. The London club had triggered a £7million release clause in his Magpies contract. Ba, 27, who will be eligible for selection for Saturday's FA Cup third-round match at Southampton, will wear the number 29 shirt. He told Chelsea's official website: "It feels good to be here, I'm very happy and very proud. "When the club who won the Champions League wants you, the decision is very easy. This club is massive and that's something that helped the decision a lot. It was not a hard one. "It was important for me, and for Newcastle, to get my future sorted and now we can move on. Now they have the whole month to buy someone and for me as well, the sooner the better. Now I am here I just need to get settled in." Ba is joint-third in the Premier League scorers table this season with 13 goals so far. The transfer puts the seal on a stunning rise from the lower reaches of French football to the European champions. Born in the suburbs of Paris, Ba played for Port Autonome du Havre, Montrouge and third division side Rouen before moving to Mouscron, in the Belgian top flight. He then moved to Hoffenheim, helping them win promotion to the Bundesliga, and was signed by West Ham two years ago. Newcastle swooped after the Hammers were relegated that season and Ba played a pivotal role as the Magpies finished fifth in the top flight last season. Chelsea will not lose his services for the African Nations Cup later this month as Senegal have not qualified.
http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item915807/Chelsea-confirm-Demba-Ba-signing/

Marouane Chamakh loaned to West Ham United

Striker Marouane Chamakh has joined West Ham United on loan for the remainder of the 2012/13 season. The Morocco international has featured 67 times for the Gunners since his arrival from Ligue 1 side Bordeaux in May 2010, netting on 14 occasions. With first-team appearances limited this term to the Capital One Cup - where Chamakh helped Arsenal to a dramatic fourth round 7-5 victory over Reading with an extra-time brace - and one Champions League outing, the 28-year-old heads to Upton Park for the opportunity of more regular competitive football. Chamakh will be ineligible for the Hammers’ Premier League visit to Emirates Stadium later this month. Everyone at Arsenal Football Club wishes Marouane well for his time with Sam Allardyce’s team.

Manchester United agree deal with Crystal Palace for Wilfried Zaha

The 20 year-old will sign a long-term contract with the Old Trafford outfit over the weekend after he has come through a United medical. He will then be loaned straight back to Palace, meaning he will have to maintain his focus on guiding Ian Holloway's side back to the top flight rather than actually winning it, as would have been the case if United had kept hold of him. But Zaha insists that will not be a problem. And, in paying a full tribute to the club for the work they have done in his development into an England international, Zaha wants to provide the best going-away present possible. "I have been at Palace for more than 10 years, I will always love the club and I want to help get them back to the Premier League, particularly for the fans who have always been so good to me," Zaha said.

Neymar: Barcelona to sign Brazil striker from Santos

The 21-year-old will finalise a five-year-deal on Monday. A Barcelona statement read: "FC Barcelona and Santos have agreed terms for Neymar. The 21-year old is one of the most promising footballers on the planet." Neymar wrote on Instagram: "On Monday, I sign a contract with Barcelona. I want to thank the fans of Santos by these incredible nine years." The statement in Portuguese added: "My feeling for the club and the fans will never change. Titles, goals, dribbling, celebrations and songs that fans created for me will be forever in my heart. "It's a different moment for me. Sadness (farewell) and happiness (new challenge). May God bless me on my choices. I will always be in Santos!" Neymar had been considering his future after Santos revealed they had accepted two offers for their star player, with Barcelona confirmed as one of the bidders and Real Madrid widely assumed to be the other. His contract with Santos was due to expire at the end of next season. Neymar will say goodbye to the Santos fans at Sunday's season-opening game against Flamengo before joining Barcelona after the Confederations Cup, which starts in Brazil on 15 June and finishes on 30 June. "I want to have the opportunity to once again take the field and hear the crowd scream my name," added Neymar. The signing ends years of speculation about which team would be the first to persuade the player to make the move to Europe. As well as Real Madrid, he has also been linked with Chelsea and Manchester United since making his debut for Santos in 2009. Neymar led Santos to their greatest run since Pele stopped playing for the club in the 1970s, helping the team win the 2010 Brazilian Cup, the 2011 Copa Libertadores and three straight Sao Paulo state championships. He is the club's leading scorer in the post-Pele era with 138 goals in 229 matches. Neymar is also considered Brazil's key player for the 2014 World Cup. In a statement, Santos said they had made every effort to keep hold of the player. "Every effort was made to keep him in Brazil as long as possible, even offering to renew the current contract, which ends in July 2014," the statement said. "At this time, however, it was not possible to compete with the terms offered from abroad, which affected the decision of the player to review his professional life. "Due to the confidentiality agreement, and by mutual agreement, the terms of the transfer will not be disclosed by any of the parties."