Australia Tour of India 2013 |Feb-Mar|

SLICKR392

Australia Tour of India 2013 |Feb-Mar|  

1. 1.

• Dhawan
    • Dinda
    • Ojha
    • Rahane

India the new world provider for cricket - Dean Jones Pretty interesting take by Dean Jones regarding BCCI and its influence on world cricket...

THE reason cricket is one of the world's most popular sports is mainly due to the influence from India. Cricket is played by 10 nations with Test status and 35 associate countries. But it is India that provides nearly 80 per cent of the world's cricket revenues. And cricket-playing countries and players around the world are a lot wealthier because of that revenue generated by India. Generally, people who have the most money get what they want. India is no different, and it is very protective of its power and very shrewd when it comes to using it. Many fans and cricket leaders think this is a bad thing for the game. I don't. Over the past few years, the Board of Cricket Control of India has not won too many friends with its directions and opinions on the game. It wasn't long ago that India was easily bulldozed by the boards from England and Australia. Not now. Advertisement Let me be completely transparent here. I work for many media companies that the BCCI has some command or authority over. Nevertheless, I believe it has every right to make decisions in its own interest, as England and Australia did during their reign of more than 100 years of cricket. The Indian authorities are the ones who have invested heavily in cricket, and ultimately they are the ones who pay the invoices. The BCCI really knows how to maximise every commercial deal it has entered and this polarises people's opinions. Other countries just hang onto India's coat-tails. Today, India always has a massive audience and it brings along a massive bank cheque. Money speaks all languages, and India's power has made all cricket nations bow to the needs of the BCCI. This shift of power has come from the fact that India is booming economically. The BCCI has been very clever in how it maintains that power. The board has a full understanding on how to control bureaucracy. The British taught it that over many years. Strategically, the BCCI has placed many board members throughout the International Cricket Council committees and now the ICC cannot do anything without the BCCI's approval. The two most dominant figures within the BCCI are Sharad Pawar and Narayanaswami Srinivasan. Many of the board members are federal ministers, who are powerful people in their own right. Over the past five years, India has really started to use its power. Its broadcast and media rights have been sold for staggering amounts of money. India recently refused to come under the World Anti-Doping Agency code, and it was the only major country that opposed the decision revision system. The board has copped a lot of criticism for its strong stance against DRS and its opinions of the WADA code. In hindsight, maybe the BCCI got its strong stance right against the DRS. It's great for TV, but with the many weird and funny cases over our summer, perhaps there is a strong argument that the Indian board may be right after all. Is the BCCI's control of everything a bad thing? It has become so dictatorial and protective of its control of the game that it chooses commentators for any series in India. The BCCI has just recently stopped me from commentating for a Twenty20 Indian universities tournament. I am led to believe the BCCI is still upset with my involvement in the creation of the Indian Cricket League in 2007 without its approval. The ICL was created by Zee Sports as part of their bid for Indian cricket TV broadcast rights. They instructed Kapil Dev, Ajay Kapoor (a television executive for Zee Sports) and myself to come up with a tournament. The ICL was created, but was quickly listed as an ''unauthorised league'' by the BCCI. The Indian board was furious and banned all ICL administrators, players and staff. The ICL disbanded not long after, and the Indian Premier League is now a mirror copy of what we invented. It was only recently that my great friend Dev was allowed back into the board's arms. Thankfully, time does heal some wounds. I hope to be back in the fold soon. Recently we have learnt that the ABC won't broadcast from India after refusing to pay the high broadcast fees demanded. I know many fans in Australia are upset with the BCCI's stance, but it is the board's right as to who it wants to do its broadcasts and what it wants to charge. If you cannot pay, then bad luck. While massive tantrums and power plays are happening off the field, it is what is happening on the field that makes things interesting. The Indian board will not allow any Indian player to play in any of the Twenty20 competitions outside the IPL - competitions such as the Big Bash League, Bangladesh Premier League, Sri Lankan Premier League and the Pakistan Super League. Not one Indian player has played in these competitions. You must ask yourself why. Does Mercedes-Benz sell some of its spare parts to help construct a Mini? The BCCI is just being smart in protecting its brand. The IPL today is one of the top six sporting brands in the world. It has really put India on the world map. Companies are flocking to the IPL just to be part of it.The Indian board ploughs most of its money back into grassroots cricket, where there are more than 55,000 matches played in India every day. It pays out millions every year in player pensions for former players. India also helped South Africa return to international cricket and helped Bangladesh reach Test status. When the Indian board isn't part of your income, people tend to have a point of view that it is ruining the fabric of the game. Then there are the players, officials and media outlets that are commercially involved with the BCCI. These people only have good words for the board. Since the board has started to be the major powerbroker of the game, has world cricket benefited? Yes, and more power to it.
Link... http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/india-the-new-world-provider-for-cricket-20130222-2ex1x.html

Rahane Sehwag (last chance IMO) Pujara Tendulkar Kohli Dhoni Jadeja Ashwin Amit Mishra B Kumar Pankaj Singh (tall, lanky, gets good bounce on benign Indian wickets, consistent wicket-taker in domestic cricket.... how long can the selectors keep ignoring him????)

Are we still assuming Zaheer and Yadav are injured?
I guess so. You can also assume Aaron is injured as well along with Irfan' date=' Munaf, Sreesanth...[/quote'] Has Sree injured himself again after the Irani? My XI : Dhawan Sehwag Pujara Sachin Kohli Dhoni/Rahane Rahane/Dhoni Jadeja Aswhin Bhuvi/Ishant Ojha

Rahane Rayadu Pujara Tendulkar Kohli R.Sharma Dhoni Ashwin Bhuvaneshwar Shami Ojha I've gone left field with the choices of openers. Rayadu's style reminds me alot of Sehwag in his prime (particularly against spin) but his technique is more compact. I think Rayadu could make the transition to opener (he opened in his younger days). His technique is solid. Regarding Rahane, everyone says he's not an opener but there's not that much of a difference between No.3 and opener anyway.

Rahane Rayadu Pujara Tendulkar Kohli R.Sharma Dhoni Ashwin Bhuvaneshwar Shami Ojha I've gone left field with the choices of openers. Rayadu's style reminds me alot of Sehwag in his prime (particularly against spin) but his technique is more compact. I think Rayadu could make the transition to opener (he opened in his younger days). His technique is solid. Regarding Rahane, everyone says he's not an opener but there's not that much of a difference between No.3 and opener anyway.
Mumbai indians team?