Pietersen hails England win as dawn of new era

King

Apart from an early scare, England easily chased down India's total of 187 with 13 overs to spare to win their first home one-day series for three years in front of a sell-out crowd. More... Last Updated: 2:33am BST 09/09/2007 Apart from an early scare, England easily chased down India's total of 187 with 13 overs to spare to win their first home one-day series for three years in front of a sell-out crowd. The game was in marked contrast to Wednesday's thrilling match at the Oval where India won to level the series after being 1-3 down. After Rahul Dravid had chosen to bat on a cloudy day, the tourists lost two early wickets to James Anderson - and then Dimitri Mascarenhas (three for 23) and Andrew Flintoff (three for 45) cashed in on India's vulnerability. Mahendra Singh Dhoni was the one success in India's batting, doing what he could to try to salvage a defendable target with an earnest 69-ball 50. England's reply began with ducks for the new-look opening partnership of Matt Prior and Luke Wright - both to Rudra Pratap Singh in the second over - but India's total never looked like being anywhere near enough. Kevin Pietersen (71 not out) helped himself to an unhurried 50 from 78 balls in an unbroken century stand with Paul Collingwood (64 not out), who chased him to the milestone from only 58 deliveries. Pietersen believes it could be the start of a golden period for the limited-overs' side, with the ICC World Twenty20 side due to fly to South Africa today. "It means a heck of a lot to me. This is the first one-day series I've won with England," he said. "I was really disappointed after (losing) the last game, but I'm a happy man tonight. I look forward now to South Africa. It's a great country and with the team we've got it could be a great tournament for us." England captain Collingwood admitted that the returning Flintoff made a difference to England, but conceded his ankle injury had still not been resolved. The all-rounder needed a pain-killing injection to play yesterday and Collingwood conceded there may be repercussions. "When you have Freddie coming on first change it puts them under the pump. He makes a big difference," he said. "I'm sure he's a little bit sore. We go away to the Twenty20 World Cup tomorrow (Sunday) and a few decisions will need to be made, but we'll see." India captain Rahul Dravid admitted the hosts deserved their win: "It didn't work out today. I think 250 would have been a good score but we never got going. It was the right decision (to bat first) and you back yourself to make 250 with seven batsmen. But England played some good one-day cricket. It was a great series played with great spirit."

Beating India 4-3 in a ODI series ushers a new dawn for England ODI cricket. I'm afraid that is an overstatement Mr.KP :P India outplayed England in test series and lost only by a margin of one game in the ODI series. More than anything this series was played in England and India were only thought to be a little more competitive than West Indies prior the test series started.

surprisingly worlds no.1 batsman has featured for the FIRST TIME in England's playing 11 who has won series :P ... and yeah beating India in ODI series still does not make England a good ODI side but it does make them a compatible side

England drew level with Pakistan with a second string attack playing the entire series. The world thought England was progressing back then, but they managed jack shyte from then on. This English team has too many journeymen, who will be found out, when they play away and/or face better teams. I'll be surprised if Mascrenhas, Bopara and Owais Shah play for England an year later. If they do, England should be in deeper shyte than today as a ODI side.

Stuart Broad is a great find. The lad bowls with good pace & discipline and is a handy bat. Havent seen much of Wright to make much of him. England needs more match winning bats up their order. Currently they are too dependent on Pietersen & Collingwood up the order and Flintoff down the order. All the bits & pieces players will fall like nine pins against better attacks.

Its a uber-**** team. Opening batsmans are technically lacking, Wicketkeeper cant hold on to simple chances, The charismatic allrounder breaks down more often then a old ambassador car, Bits and pieces players like Mascrenhas, lewis will be tore to pieces anywhere outside England and heck even in England in unfavourable conditions, Monty's shown jackshit in ODI cricket to be seen as a genuine wickettaker in middle overs. Its a team riddled with problems. Srilanka England ODI series i predict a 5-0 washout for Colly and Co. Only postive is Bells batting and Broad's bowling. Anderson when the ball wont swing will be destroyed.

Its a uber-**** team. Opening batsmans are technically lacking, Wicketkeeper cant hold on to simple chances, The charismatic allrounder breaks down more often then a old ambassador car, Bits and pieces players like Mascrenhas, lewis will be tore to pieces anywhere outside England and heck even in England in unfavourable conditions, Monty's shown jackshit in ODI cricket to be seen as a genuine wickettaker in middle overs. Its a team riddled with problems. Srilanka England ODI series i predict a 5-0 washout for Colly and Co. Only postive is Bells batting and Broad's bowling. Anderson when the ball wont swing will be destroyed.
Its a uber-**** team. Opening batsmans are technically lacking' date=' Wicketkeeper cant hold on to simple chances, The charismatic allrounder breaks down more often then a old ambassador car, Bits and pieces players like Mascrenhas, lewis will be tore to pieces anywhere outside England and heck even in England in unfavourable conditions, Monty's shown jackshit in ODI cricket to be seen as a genuine wickettaker in middle overs. Its a team riddled with problems. Srilanka England ODI series i predict a 5-0 washout for Colly and Co. Only postive is Bells batting and Broad's bowling. Anderson when the ball wont swing will be destroyed.
Sorry but I had to bump this post. England is a better OD side without the disruptive and totally inconsistent, injury prone Flintoff. Even if he is fit he would only warrant a place in the team through his bowling alone. Jeez it made my blood boil to see his mug completely covering the floodlights at Fatorda stadium (Margao) advertising Kingfisher beer. How apt!:D BTW Graeme Swann was a revalation in this series as well as Ryan Sidebotham. IMO a spinners' main job is to stem the run flow in the middle overs more than taking wickets anyway, because once the batters start to become frustrated it's usually the bowler at the other end who ends up with a Michelle. Sorry Don but the predictions in this post were probably the farthest out I've seen in a long time.:giggle: