Is Indian batsmen's ability to play swing bowling declining?

maniac

Since,England series ,our batsmen seem to have no clue playing the swinging ball ...Even in Australia our main tormentor was Hilfenhaus who is more of an English-style pacer than the more traditional Aussie-style hit the deck hard kinda pacer. In the recently concluded Pak series Junaid Khan...another swing bowler literally ran circles around some of our frontline batsmen I mean our major weakness traditinally has been the genuine pace and bounce but most of our premier batsmen in the past have done decently in England. For now let us take England as a benchmark to measure a batsman's ability in handling a swinging ball.... The likes of Sunny,Azhar,Vengsarker,SRT,RD,Ganguly,Vishy all have done pretty well against England in England... Even our lower middle order Kapil,Agarkar,Kumble have had 100's there. Now I am not saying all their runs were scored in Overcast conditions but I mean they must have had some ability to handle the swinging ball right?Given the fact that all players I mentioned haved batted between 1-4 especially in English conditions. The fact that apart from Sunny,traditionally our opening has been a problem for us overseas,these guys must have come in a situation where the ball was still swinging. So this brings to my point.....Forget the ability to play short-pitch bowling or on bouncy surfaces but has our recent batting downfall coincided with our recent emerging batsmen's inability to play or negotiate the swinging ball

Also what's surprising is we seem to produce real good English style pacers...The likes of Pathan,BK,PK are all/were wonderful swing bowlers and also we see unknown guys like eg; Deepak Chahar(?) showing ability to get unplayable banana swing once in a while,which atleast tells us that despite pattas and slow-low wickets,more often than not atleast with the new ball there is some swing early on in domestics... Inability to play Short-pitch or pace and bounce makes sense but I wonder why the new crop have absolute no clue to play swing bowling

You have to play late. As simple as that. If you can't do that meet the ball before it starts swinging. You could do that by standing a foot outside the crease.
They seem to lack patience too ....The biggest example of our declining skills is Gambhir not being able to overcome his addiction to Poke despite many failures. When Junaid Khan was amidst a terrific spell of swing bowling,I don't recollect too many balls left alone by our top order. Infact I don't seem to recollect too many left-alones by Indian batsmen in tests recently
Also what's surprising is we seem to produce real good English style pacers...The likes of Pathan,BK,PK are all/were wonderful swing bowlers and also we see unknown guys like eg; Deepak Chahar(?) showing ability to get unplayable banana swing once in a while,which atleast tells us that despite pattas and slow-low wickets,more often than not atleast with the new ball there is some swing early on in domestics... Inability to play Short-pitch or pace and bounce makes sense but I wonder why the new crop have absolute no clue to play swing bowling
IPL effect :csk:

We struggling against pace andbounce was the thing of the '90s. If you see now, most of the youngsters bar Raina, can handle the short ball pretty well. But, the swinging deliveries are the ones that test your technique.Nobody is comfortable against swing. It requires, playing late, being patient and most importantly, an ability to forget once you have beaten and playing the next one on merit.

We were always like that. Even the best of our batsmen struggled several times in such conditions. I still remember when Mitchel Johnson ran through our batting in slightly helpful conditions for swing in a home ODI.
True that .But i would like to say everybody would struggle against good swing bowling like we faced from pak.Johnson when he swings it become a whole diff proposition .
True that .But i would like to say everybody would struggle against good swing bowling like we faced from pak.Johnson when he swings it become a whole diff proposition .
Yes, everyone would have struggled against swing of Junaid Khan. Mitchell becomes double dangerous when he gets swing because he is quicker and can bowl quick fiery bouncer which keeps the batsmen on backfoot even on full balls.
We were always like that. Even the best of our batsmen struggled several times in such conditions. I still remember when Mitchel Johnson ran through our batting in slightly helpful conditions for swing in a home ODI.
I am talking about in general....I am not saying we used to be experts at this but just the way we are getting out to swing bowling is embarassing. Not taking anything away from Junaid's spell which was fantastic but there was no attempt made whatsoever to negotiate the swing by the top order...Infact Pakis were equally bad too against Bhuvan on occasions. Forget tests In the past I have seen SRT,Dravid and even Ganguly surviving some of the most trickiest conditions even in ODI's for the matter of fact when they played out the new ball... I don't see the younger lot leaving the ball alone...Infact they think it's a crime to leave the ball alone in LOI's which may not always be the case. Also going by the kind of bowlers who have troubled us since England,I think Swing might be the bigger problem.
I am talking about in general....I am not saying we used to be experts at this but just the way we are getting out to swing bowling is embarassing.
This is nothing new. When batsmen are out of form then that is what happens. Most of them are not scoring even on flat tracks let alone seaming and swinging conditions right now.