What's the protocol regarding 3rd umpire and DRS?

I am quite confused regarding the haphazard, arbitrary and inconsistent way the DRS and 3rd umpires currently rule on decisions/dismissals. In some cases, 3rd umpires stay with the on-field call and claim there was no over-whelming evidence to over-rule the on-field decision whereas in some cases 3rd umpire goes against the on-field decision despite any evidence to the contrary just as it happened in WI-Aus match today where Thomas was given out caught behind despite being ruled not out by on field umpire and the replays hardly showing anything to say the batsman hit the ball. Then the other issue is when batsman is dismissed and umpires check for the no-ball. My understanding was that the on-field umpire has to ask the 3rd umpire in case the on-field umpire thinks the bowler may have over-stepped. But in today's game we saw Shafiq dismissed and 3rd umpire recalling the batsman despite on-field umpire not asking for 3rd umpire's assistance at all! So what exactly is the protocol regarding the same? Also, why just wait for the dismissal, shouldn't 3rd umpire tell on-field umpire anytime a no-ball happens as in odis & T20s a no-ball followed by a free-hit is a big event and may prove the difference between win and a loss. ICC needs to establish some sort of protocol and ground rules regarding DRS and 3rd umpire intervention/referral coz currently it seems like the process varies from match to match depending on who's the umpire. An international sport can't afford to have such inconsistencies and today's events in 2 different matches have unfortunately only reinforced BCCI's stance regarding the DRS and umpire referrals.

Then the other issue is when batsman is dismissed and umpires check for the no-ball. My understanding was that the on-field umpire has to ask the 3rd umpire in case the on-field umpire thinks the bowler may have over-stepped. But in today's game we saw Shafiq dismissed and 3rd umpire recalling the batsman despite on-field umpire not asking for 3rd umpire's assistance at all! So what exactly is the protocol regarding the same? Also, why just wait for the dismissal, shouldn't 3rd umpire tell on-field umpire anytime a no-ball happens as in odis & T20s a no-ball followed by a free-hit is a big event and may prove the difference between win and a loss.
This is one of my biggest beefs with the DRS. The line technology is perfect and a 100% fool proof. Rather than having the umpire check for the line, I would like an automated system to do it. This will give the umpire more time and focus on the LBW decisions. Currently, he has to change his view in the matter of seconds. Line technology is already used in other sports like tennis but I have no clue what cricket has to do to accept it. I would always accept technologies which are fool proof and then gradually move on to other sophisticated non-sure ones but ICC Thinks otherwise.