Smith Questions Format after Exit!

Prudent

He has every right to question the format. The goal of any tournament is for the 4 best teams to qualify for the semis. Saffies are a way better team when compared to NZ..
How are the South Africans better than NZ on the basis of the performance in the tournament? And why did Smith not question the format earlier if he did not like it?
Guest dada_rocks
He has every right to question the format. The goal of any tournament is for the 4 best teams to qualify for the semis. Saffies are a way better team when compared to NZ..
Well they why go through drama of playing any match before semi-final..it's sports one can't go with pre-conceived notion of teams in top four must qualify....
How are the South Africans better than NZ on the basis of the performance in the tournament? And why did Smith not question the format earlier if he did not like it?
The answer to your first question - http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/twenty20wc/engine/current/match/287872.html And for the second one , why would anyone question the format even before the tournament started ? Now that SA have been at the receiving end of such a stupid qualifying methodology , it makes sense for him to raise the issue now.
Well they why go through drama of playing any match before semi-final..it's sports one can't go with pre-conceived notion of teams in top four must qualify....
Fair enough , but the point is , every team has a bad day , but that one bad day shouldnt mean they are out of the tournament. India was at the receiving end during WC 2007. Because of that, some really useless teams qualified , making the tournament boring in the latter stages.
Fair enough , but the point is , every team has a bad day , but that one bad day shouldnt mean they are out of the tournament. India was at the receiving end during WC 2007. Because of that, some really useless teams qualified , making the tournament boring in the latter stages.
you can have a bad day. but can't afford to have a bad day of gigantic proportions where you score a pathetic 100 runs in 20 overs and expect to continue in the tournament.
you can have a bad day. but can't afford to have a bad day of gigantic proportions where you score a pathetic 100 runs in 20 overs and expect to continue in the tournament.
Saffies didnt have a bad day. They had a bad hour and that was that. How can anyone explain how the only unbeaten team in the tournament till yesterday isnt in the semis is beyond me. I say kick out these super 8's. Play an extended league phases ,so that a couple of fluke victories/defeats doesnt mean pathetic teams qualify.
The answer to your first question - http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/twenty20wc/engine/current/match/287872.html And for the second one , why would anyone question the format even before the tournament started ? Now that SA have been at the receiving end of such a stupid qualifying methodology , it makes sense for him to raise the issue now.
Huh? Just because South Africa beat NZ with 5 deliveries to spare they become a much better team. How about this logic. NZ beat India marginally and India thrashed South Africa. Now how are they a much better team than NZ? Second part is called whining.
Saffies didnt have a bad day. They had a bad hour and that was that. How can anyone explain how the only unbeaten team in the tournament till yesterday isnt in the semis is beyond me. I say kick out these super 8's. Play an extended league phases ,so that a couple of fluke victories/defeats doesnt mean pathetic teams qualify.
One hour? They were downright pathetic the entire second half. Gave an almost 100 run partnership on a pitch helpful to bowlers. I would say they were pathetic for about 2 out of the 3 hours.
Huh? Just because South Africa beat NZ with 5 deliveries to spare they become a much better team. How about this logic. NZ beat India marginally and India thrashed South Africa. Now how are they a much better team than NZ? Second part is called whining.
I am not basing my claim that Saffies are a better team than NZ on just that one match alone. In a Tournament where even the world champions have been beaten twice , SA raked up one easy victory after another. And Smith would have looked real spoilsport if he were to question the format of a tournament that was staged in his home country, if he were to question its format even before the tourney began.

Sriram in sports, anything can happen.. France reached football world cup final even though they were not the best.. and brazil got the boot on their rare bad day.. and in 20/20 even 5 overs can cost you games... they should have easily made 126.. but they choked again..

One hour? They were downright pathetic the entire second half. Gave an almost 100 run partnership on a pitch helpful to bowlers. I would say they were pathetic for about 2 out of the 3 hours.
Okie , so you have bad 2 hour period and you are out ? Then , what about the good 10 hours of cricket you had played earlier ?
Sriram in sports, anything can happen.. France reached football world cup final even though they were not the best.. and brazil got the boot on their rare bad day.. and in 20/20 even 5 overs can cost you games... they should have easily made 126.. but they choked again..
Precisely Veer. We all dont question this because we have this idea in mind that - " Anything can happen in sports , if its your day it is etc etc" . That doesnt make sense to me. I want to see two equally matched teams compete in the knockouts. Not some two-bit team like Kenya which made it to the semis in 2003. And i dont agree with this chokers thingy Veer. Every ball you bowl/face in international cricket is pressure filled. Saffies played superbly till now , but are out because they played badly in one session.
I am not basing my claim that Saffies are a better team than NZ on just that one match alone. In a Tournament where even the world champions have been beaten twice , SA raked up one easy victory after another.
It was clear from the start that to qualify for the semis teams would need to win at least 2 out of 3 games in the Super 8s and in the event of a three way tie, NRR would be accounted for, which is a fair enough call. Knowing all this if a team allows the opposition to score at 8 an over and can't even score at 6 RPO to qualify on a pitch doctored to suit them, then the only place they deserve is their living rooms.
And i dont agree with this chokers thingy Veer. Every ball you bowl/face in international cricket is pressure filled. Saffies played superbly till now , but are out because they played badly in one session.
Please explain how South Africa in every major tournament have managed to crash out in do or die situations if you don't believe the choker thing?