Alltime XI challenge

Rules: 1. Must include players debuting from 1945 onwards (ie, no Bradman, for his numbers skew the contest too much). 2. Create two alltime XIs, who would be the two best teams to take on each other. Its not about create the best possible XI and the second best possible XI, but two XIs that are going to go toe to toe with each other. 3. ODI and Tests only. My shot: Alltime XI-1: Sunny Gavaskar Virender Sehwag Brian Lara Graeme Pollock Jaques Kallis Alan Border Adam Gillchrist Wasim Akram Denis Lillee Alan Donald Muttiah Muralitharan Alltime XI-2: Graeme Smith Barry Richards Viv Richards Sachin Tendulkar Greg Chappell Gary Sobers Mark Boucher Alan Davidson Shane Warne Malcolm Marshall Michael Holding

Alltime XI 1 1) Sunny Gavaskar 2) Barry Richards 3) Sir Viv Richards 4) Sachin Tendulkar 5) Sir Gary Sobers 6) Imran Khan 7) Adam Gilchrist 8) Wasim Akram 9) Allan Donald 10) Shane Warne 11) Michael Holding Alltime XI 2 1) Matthew Hayden 2) Graeme Smith 3) Brian Lara 4) Graeme Pollock 5) Jacques Kallis 6) Greg Chappell 7) Mark Boucher 8) Curtly Ambrose 9) Malcolm Marshall 10) Glenn Mcgrath 11) Muttiah Muralitharan

^NONE of you have Steyn?? He is better than Lillee, Davidson and Donald at least. SachinLara you can have Davidson purely because hes a left arm seamer but considering youve got Sobers there too, Id swap him for Steyn or Hadlee. Also a minor quibble but Kallis and Lara should swap places in your teams My teams: Greenidge, Hayden, Kallis, Tendulkar, Border, Lara, Healy, Warne, Marshall, Akram, McGrath Gavaskar, Len Hutton, Ponting, Richards, G Pollock, G Sobers, Gilchrist, Hadlee, Muarlitharan, Trueman, Steyn Gillys presence really boosts the batting of a side, I thought of going for a lesser batsman but better keeper like Knott...or for a bowling all rounder in Imran or Miller....perhaps I should have. The first side has both Lara and SRT to compensate. I guess Border and Gavaskar would skipper

^NONE of you have Steyn?? He is better than Lillee' date=' Davidson and [b']Donald at least. SachinLara you can have Davidson purely because hes a left arm seamer but considering youve got Sobers there too, Id swap him for Steyn or Hadlee. Also a minor quibble but Kallis and Lara should swap places in your teams My teams: Greenidge, Hayden, Kallis, Tendulkar, Border, Lara, Healy, Warne, Marshall, Akram, McGrath Gavaskar, Len Hutton, Ponting, Richards, G Pollock, G Sobers, Gilchrist, Hadlee, Muarlitharan, Trueman, Steyn Gillys presence really boosts the batting of a side, I thought of going for a lesser batsman but better keeper like Knott...or for a bowling all rounder in Imran or Miller....perhaps I should have. The first side has both Lara and SRT to compensate. I guess Border and Gavaskar would skipper
:nono:
^NONE of you have Steyn?? He is better than Lillee, Davidson and Donald at least.
I think Steyn is a bit behind Donald for me. Steyn is more consistent than Donald but Donald on his day was a tougher challenge than Steyn- not only did he swing the ball around, he hit you or tried to hit you a fair bit too.
SachinLara you can have Davidson purely because hes a left arm seamer but considering youve got Sobers there too, Id swap him for Steyn or Hadlee. Also a minor quibble but Kallis and Lara should swap places in your teams
IMO, Kallis and Sobers have to be in opposing teams otherwise there is a balance issue. Ultimately, these are the only two who qualify as 'alltime/near-alltime great batsmen who are/were competent bowlers at the top level'.
Gillys presence really boosts the batting of a side, I thought of going for a lesser batsman but better keeper like Knott...or for a bowling all rounder in Imran or Miller....perhaps I should have. The first side has both Lara and SRT to compensate. I guess Border and Gavaskar would skipper
Point noted about Gilly, but that is why i picked the bowlers in the order i did: team1 has Gilly but three genuine tailenders. Team 2 has quite a strong group of tailenders with the bat: up to Marshall were good enough to be relied upon for 10-15 runs against quality opposition, which is IMO what this contest would come down to. Even Holding was an above average tail-ender, who regularly batted at #8 IIRC.

Tests 1. Sunil Gavaskar 2. Smith 3. Kallis 4. Sachin 5. Viv Richards 6. Javed Miandad 7. Gilchrist (wk) 8. Imran Khan 9. Wasim Akram 10.Lillee 11.Muralitharan Sub: Botham (At his peak, he was the absolute best) 1. Barry Richards 2. Sehwag 3. Dravid 4. Graeme Pollock 5. B Lara 6. Gary Sobers 7. Andy Flower (wk) 8. Richard Hadlee 9. Malcom Marshall 10.Mcgrath 11.Warne Sub: Steyn(will replace Mcgrath if he continues this way)

ODI 1. Sachin 2. Gilchrist (wk) 3. Amla 4. Ponting © 5. Jacques Kallis 6. Inzamam 7. M Hussey 8. Wasim Akram 9. Shane Bond 10.Waqar 11.Muralitharan Sub: Shaun Pollock 1. Jayasuriya 2. Anwar 3. S Ganguly 4. Viv Richards 5. B Lara 6. M Bevan 7. Dhoni(wk) © 8. Allan Donald 9. J Garner 10.Mcgrath 11.Saqlain Sub: Warne

When you see names like Sehwag and Ganguly flash up' date=' when all-time XI's are getting picked be it in Tests or ODI's, you know it is time to abort the thread.[/quote'] Sehwag in tests and Ganguly in ODIs most definitely deserve consideration for alltime teams. Anyone who disputes so, does not really have enough understanding of cricket.