Alltime XI challenge

^ well its a close one for me and tbh you may be right. Hussey had a better SR and may not have been as good at nudging the singles but but could it very well AND go for the kind of big hitting that Bevan may not necessarily be able to. Plus Bevan could bowl a bit that goes in his favour. Bevan would be great foil for either Viv or MSD. Can you imagine him and Dhoni batting together, they'd drive fielders made scampering those singles

Alltime ODI XI: Sachin Sehwag Viv Lara ABDV MSD + Kapil Dev Shaun Pollock Wasim Akram Alan Donald Muttiah Muralitharan The few *musts* in ODI lineups: Sachin (Obvious), Viv (Obvious) & Kapil. I find it interesting that very few fans consider Kapil for an alltime XI. Intersting, because IMO he is the *perfect* fit for a #7 in ODIs - an average of 24 and strike rate of 95 with a few 50s & a century is the ideal guy to come in around over 45/46 and do something meaningful. Couple that with the fact that Kapil was an extraordinarily cheap pace bowler in ODIs ( 3.71 econ) and an energetic fielder, he is a perfect fit for any ODI XI.

Yes, because winning or losing a final is relevant when evaluating how good a captain is tactically. Genius. So tell me, genius, how do you correlate field placement and bowler rotation with winning or not winning, since regardless of how good a captain you are, your bowlers still have to bowl at the right places and batsmen have to bat properly for your great captaincy to bear out.
Blaberring? That is what you are doing. Nothing you say, here makes a case for Ganguly being a better captain than MSD. Facts and results point to MSD being a better skipper, keeping aside your unrelated nonsense. WC win, better Test record with more wins, 20-20 WC win and even at the IPL level, MSD demonstrated his leadership skills and led CSK to multiple title wins. Contrast that to Ganguly, kicked out of his own KKR team being a local favorite, for being a cancer with in and a bad team guy. Even when playing for India, his travails with GC are well documented. Hardly a characteristic associated with good leaders. Even to date guys like RD and Gilly are entrusted with leadership roles in IPL, while Ganguly is being kicked out of every place he has been, be it with KKR or PWI. So keep the 10 times better than MSD nonsense to yourself.
Makes no sense. Perfect example of 'hindsight is 20/20' type of illogical and revisionist thinking. Gangu wasnt the first to insert the aussies on winning the toss in a major match, he wasnt the last either. Its a viable option in South Africa especially: Gilly has always been hit or miss and Hayden uncomfortable with steep bounce. If India could've dismissed Gilly & Hayden early, they'd be in the driver's seat. Tactically sound but as it happened, Punter had different ideas and made a tactically sound decision seem like a joke to jokers like you, who only apply hindsight.
Could have should have. If only wishes were horses. Gilly hit or miss (with a WC finals match winning century) while Ganguly is a great player. Hmm... Something does not add up. I know Ganguly and being a great player does not belong in the same sentence. That's it.
That is your opinion, not the opinion of experts who consistently pick Ganguly as one of the greatest openers the game has ever seen. Two bit kids like you who barely understand the sport and has barely seen the sport for a few years wont trump that.
Experts like in SachinLara moniker that perhaps never picked a bat, but get on statsguru and blurt out anything that comes to mind. No the real experts never mistake Ganguly and his inept play for a great player when there are game changers like Jaya or Gilly to pick from in ODI's.
I have diverted no attention, it is you who is diverting attention from my expose on you as nothing more than a blatant liar & twister of an argument by disingenous comments. Or its an expose on you lacking fundamental analysis skills such as controls to a comparative situation. Its you who is running away from my post at 5:25pm
Hmm...okay.
First grade book or 2nd grade book, there is not much of a difference between averaging 30 and averaging 38 in a cricketing context on special select situations.
oh yeah...She-wag and his 30 average belong in the gutter, not a pathway to greatness. While 38 average, which She-wag and his mediocre batsmanship is not capable of on 4th or 5th day of Test cricket, is far more respectable or even decent enough. So keep trying, but She-wag is useless in some situations in Test cricket, where a R.Ashwin is a better bet.
Sorry kid, it is you who has no clue. None so amazing a chronicler of cricket as C.B.Fry has stated the obvious difficulty in comarping Sutcliffe/Hobbs to modern day openers: for you cannot compare openers who batted on uncovered wickets against military medium pacers and spinners against those who open on covered wickets against express pace bowlers. Apples to oranges. That is why Sutcliffe rarely ever features in these discussions and Hobbs is the only other pre-war batsman along with Bradman to be considered relevant to the modern game- predominantly because Hobbs was an excellent batsman into his 50s.
Now keep reading those books and get more brainwashed. Even keeping the game to mid-70's and there on there will be atleast 10 other openers much better than She-wag that can picked in Tests (I have been generous here), if one considers that on 4th and 5th day of Tests he is as good an option as someone like a Ashwin. Oh by the way, in between reading Fry and googling, go take a look at how a real cricket bat looks like and may be take a few swings.
Alltime ODI XI: Sachin Sehwag Viv Lara ABDV MSD + Kapil Dev Shaun Pollock Wasim Akram Alan Donald Muttiah Muralitharan The few *musts* in ODI lineups: Sachin (Obvious), Viv (Obvious) & Kapil. I find it interesting that very few fans consider Kapil for an alltime XI. Intersting, because IMO he is the *perfect* fit for a #7 in ODIs - an average of 24 and strike rate of 95 with a few 50s & a century is the ideal guy to come in around over 45/46 and do something meaningful. Couple that with the fact that Kapil was an extraordinarily cheap pace bowler in ODIs ( 3.71 econ) and an energetic fielder, he is a perfect fit for any ODI XI..
Outside of Viv there are no musts to be picked in ODI's, if at all there is one. May be Gilly after him given he is a great WK, on top of being a gamechanger with the bat, in his own way. So just because you go by SachinLara, and saying picking Sachin is a must does not mean it makes sense. Why would someone pick Tendulkar as an automatic? For being a player on multiple WC teams, and contributing in clinching the finals? Why? Unless there is a quota, for all-time highest run-getters to be on the all-time XI, it is just not on.
Outside of Viv there are no musts to be picked in ODI's' date=' if at all there is one. May be Gilly after him given he is a great WK, on top of being a gamechanger with the bat, in his own way. So just because you go by SachinLara, and saying picking Sachin is a must does not mean it makes sense. Why would someone pick Tendulkar as an automatic? For being a player on multiple WC teams, and contributing in clinching the finals? Why? Unless there is a quota, for all-time highest run-getters to be on the all-time XI, it is just not on.[/quote'] Yeah you should pick Collis King in your all time XI. :nice:
Blaberring? That is what you are doing. Nothing you say' date=' here makes a case for Ganguly being a better captain than MSD. Facts and results point to MSD being a better skipper, keeping aside your unrelated nonsense. WC win, better Test record with more wins, 20-20 WC win and even at the IPL level, MSD demonstrated his leadership skills and led CSK to multiple title wins. Contrast that to Ganguly, kicked out of his own KKR team being a local favorite, for being a cancer with in and a bad team guy. Even when playing for India, his travails with GC are well documented. Hardly a characteristic associated with good leaders. Even to date guys like RD and Gilly are entrusted with leadership roles in IPL, while Ganguly is being kicked out of every place he has been, be it with KKR or PWI. So keep the 10 times better than MSD nonsense to yourself.[/quote'] Classic case of confusion between correlation and causation. Ganguly does not feature in IPL, not because he is a tactically lacking captain, but because he is past it for holding a place down as a batsman. As for records, i would like to know how on earth is the 'statistical record' relevant to guage tactical nous of a captain, as in what fields to set and when to bring on some bowlers, given that a monkey on auto-pilot captaining the Aussie team of 2003 would have a better record than Mike Brearley captaining Zimbabwe. Your stats does not change the fact that Ganguly was a more tactically sound captain than Dhoni. Gilly was hit or miss- borne out by the fact that he has much lower 50+ scoring % than Ganguly.World cup century or not, is not a benchmark for greatness and i am yet to see an expert rank batsmen above or below each other on the basis of world cup final record. But i guess, you know better than the pros. Ganguly has been called an alltime great ODI bat by several experts. You can troll on statsguru as much as you like, the simple fact that you do not know heads or tails about cricketing statistics and its relevance overrules your innane statistical observations to nothing more than the value of innane puzzle page on the newspaper.
oh yeah...She-wag and his 30 average belong in the gutter' date=' not a pathway to greatness.[/quote'] Disagree. His 60+ average in the first innings is more than enough to ensure greatness. there is not much of a difference between a batsman averaging 30 and a batsman averaging 38. basic statistical understanding of standard deviation from the mean ensures that, which is why the argument is never made. You and your teen-something childish wisdom may consider reading the opinions of experts, in their own field of expertese as 'brainwashing'. Adults disagree, which is why it is expert opinions in their field that get any legitimacy, over a random tom, dick and harry like you. But that is a rather irrelevant consideration, so it shall not be made. Give me a performer in the 1st innings over a performer in the 2nd innings any day of the week: the guy who can win me the contest in day 1 & 2 rank higher than the guy who can win it later. Why go for the later option, when the option is available to get a decisive advantage from the get go ? The six guys who average 60+ in the first innings make the second innings fundamentally less important. As such, after 1970s, there are only a few test openers who can merit comparison with Sehwag: Gavaskar, Gooch, Boycott, Greenidge, Mark Taylor,Cookie & Grame Smith. Of them, only Gavaskar is clearly superior and Sehwag has as credible a case as any other to be in the alltime team of this era. I can garantee you, kiddo, that i have played far more real cricket than your galli cricket gilli-danda that you specialized in. Try playing a 3-day game or even a 2-day game and then you might understand the basic one or two principles of cricket. Also come back and yap when you can grow the basic logical ability to conclude that people who do an activity for a living probably know more than you, the guy who does not put in 1/10000th effort or time in said activity. You trash expert opinion, you are worthless and an idiot. Period.
Outside of Viv there are no musts to be picked in ODI's' date=' if at all there is one. May be Gilly after him given he is a great WK, on top of being a gamechanger with the bat, in his own way. So just because you go by SachinLara, and saying picking Sachin is a must does not mean it makes sense. Why would someone pick Tendulkar as an automatic? For being a player on multiple WC teams, and contributing in clinching the finals? Why? Unless there is a quota, for all-time highest run-getters to be on the all-time XI, it is just not on.[/quote'] Sachin is an automatic because he is head and shoulders above every ODI batsman in his era. His overall record is excellent, his overseas record is excellent, he is by far the most dominant batsman against the best ODI team of his era ( Aussies) and he has as good a statistic as anyone in must-win crunch situations in ODIs. World cup final is an irrelevant benchmark. Find me a real analyst who will leave out Tendulkar from an alltime ODI XI due to worldcup final non-performance and then you may have a case. Till then, you are nothing more than a 2-bit hack with a 2-bit opinion that makes most trolls seem credible. Jao bachchey, find me an adult who can concur with you. Till then, run along. You can also holler that facing Dale Steyn & Philander in a world cup final is harder and more pressure than facing Dale Steyn & Philander in a world cup semi final. Again, find me an expert who concurs with you, or else you are nothing more than yet another hack.
An All rounder XI Mankad Simpson Kallis Sobers Faulkner Gilchrist Imran Miller Botham Dev Hadlee A put you to sleep XI Boycott Hanif Mohammed Gavaskar Barrington Dravid Kallis Trevor Bailey Kuruppu Nadkarni Tayfield Statham
You should put SachinLara dude into one of these team. Since he played more pressure cooker games than the WC finals. However, it still needs to be determined if he can successfully distinguish, the difference between a ball and a bat. On another note, I like your lists for various categories, though I do not agree with some of the selections.
You should put SachinLara dude into one of these team. Since he played more pressure cooker games than the WC finals. However, it still needs to be determined if he can successfully distinguish, the difference between a ball and a bat. On another note, I like your lists for various categories, though I do not agree with some of the selections.
says the one who played 100 tests and 300 odis :cantstop:
Sachin is an automatic because he is head and shoulders above every ODI batsman in his era. His overall record is excellent, his overseas record is excellent, he is by far the most dominant batsman against the best ODI team of his era ( Aussies) and he has as good a statistic as anyone in must-win crunch situations in ODIs. World cup final is an irrelevant benchmark. Find me a real analyst who will leave out Tendulkar from an alltime ODI XI due to worldcup final non-performance and then you may have a case. Till then, you are nothing more than a 2-bit hack with a 2-bit opinion that makes most trolls seem credible. Jao bachchey, find me an adult who can concur with you. Till then, run along. You can also holler that facing Dale Steyn & Philander in a world cup final is harder and more pressure than facing Dale Steyn & Philander in a world cup semi final. Again, find me an expert who concurs with you, or else you are nothing more than yet another hack.
More BS and more statsguru punching, to arrive at determining an automatic choice. I understand as you admitted to (sort of) and also based on your posts, you do not have a clue about the game and its vagaries. However, you will never explain to me why a player who is head and shoulders above did not guide the team to more success. One WC win, that too the finals won, thanks to GG, MSD etc. (others carried him as usual in big games, akin to VVS and RD in Tests). When it come to facing Steyn and Philander, it is not just Tendulkar, there are a ton of players who are good. But when it comes to winning big games and trophies, Tendulkar can never be counted on for most part, as the results attest to. He is not an automatic choice, as some one like a Viv or Gilly can be in one dayers, if one is not overwhlemed by his stats, an off shoot of playing 450+ games. But for someone as pathetic as you, whose goes by the moniker SachinLara and hung up on couple of players, it is not possible to understand that.