Uttar Pradesh thread

Rajma Chawal

Akhilesh-Yadav.jpg
union home ministry which in its report has disclosed that UP recordedlargest number incidents of communal riots and crime against dalit women and children in 2012. According to the report, as many as 104 cases of communal tension and clashes have been reported in the state so far in 2012. Around 34 people were killed and 456 were injured in these clashes.
Maharashtra is at the second place with 83 cases of communal tension and violence followed by Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka with 78 and 54 cases respectively.
UP is also on the top in crime against dalit women and children. In 2009, around 7,522 cases of crime against dalit and women and children were registered in the state. Significantly, the number came down to 6,272 in 2010 but rose to 7,702 in 2011. Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan registered 3,245 and 5,182 cases of crime against dalit women and children respectively in 2011.
The SP government has claimed that communal violence is a `consipiracy' hatched by rivals to defame Akhilesh Yadav. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/lucknow/Home-ministry-report-says-Uttar-Pradesh-tops-in-communal-clashes/articleshow/17402291.cms

When SP came to power in March, they had a huge mandate and a young CM so if they wanted they could have changed things but in 8 months I have realized that things in UP have got worse than they were in Mayawati's administration. The reasons for this are many - The basic nature of the SP workers is IMO closest to that of the Shiv Sena workers - they just like gunda-gardi and once their party won 220+ seats there was no stopping them. Another reason is that sinc e SP has come to power, the Muslims have been made to feel as if they are the ones who are in power and they can get away with anything so this may have encouraged rioting. Meanwhile the Govt is thinking of withdrawing cases against suspects of the 2006 Varanasi serial blasts where 25 people were killed. Both the Allahabad High Court and the Central govt have cautioned the Govt not to take any such rash steps. In fact the HC has gone on to say that any move of withdrawing cases would mean directly encouraging terrorism.

When SP came to power in March' date=' they had a huge mandate and a young CM so if they wanted they could have changed things but in 8 months I have realized that things in UP have got worse than they were in Mayawati's administration. The reasons for this are many - The basic nature of the SP workers is IMO closest to that of the Shiv Sena workers - they just like [i']gunda-gardi and once their party won 220+ seats there was no stopping them. Another reason is that sinc e SP has come to power, the Muslims have been made to feel as if they are the ones who are in power and they can get away with anything so this may have encouraged rioting.
UP has by far the largest population, one of the worse literacy rates, and a very diverse demographics. Quite obviously UP would rank number 1 in statistics like these. On a per capita basis, all the other states listed in the article seem to be doing worse.
Arre wo to theek hai bhai log, magar danga hua kahan? :hitler: UP has so many samvedansheel jilla (Meerut se lekar Beneras tak) that it is the hot(test) bed of communal riots. Lekin last few years se things have been quite decent I thought. Itna casuality kab hua bhai?

Arre wo to theek hai bhai log' date= magar danga hua kahan? :hitler: UP has so many samvedansheel jilla (Meerut se lekar Beneras tak) that it is the hot(test) bed of communal riots. Lekin last few years se things have been quite decent I thought. Itna casuality kab hua bhai?
Since there haven't been any major communal riots in UP for the past many years, my guess is that the term "communal clashes" as defined in the study also include things like someone from X community threw a rock at the place of worship of Y community and goons from either side were involved in a clash leading to 1-2 deaths. Or things like someone from X community hurled religious abuses to someone from Y community even though the root cause of the dispute might not have been religious leading to someone being killed. These kind of clashes are quite common and don't gain headlines usually.

Arre wo to theek hai bhai log' date= magar danga hua kahan? :hitler: UP has so many samvedansheel jilla (Meerut se lekar Beneras tak) that it is the hot(test) bed of communal riots. Lekin last few years se things have been quite decent I thought. Itna casuality kab hua bhai?
recently there was a danga in Faizabad. ALso, some communal tension is always there in Lucknow at the time of Mohhoram/Eid etc.

Another reason is that sinc e SP has come to power, the Muslims have been made to feel as if they are the ones who are in power and they can get away with anything so this may have encouraged rioting.
Taking this argument to its logical conclusion, muslims must have been made to feel as if they are the ones in power under Kalyan Singh's BJP rule in the 90's as well since thats when communal clashes were at an all time high. :headshake:

Taking this argument to its logical conclusion' date=' [b']muslims must have been made to feel as if they are the ones in power under Kalyan Singh's BJP rule in the 90's as well since thats when communal clashes were at an all time high. :headshake:
:hysterical::hysterical: thats funny Khansaab. Well not really cos that phase was tragic for all of us, still the comment was funny :agree:

Even as slain police officer Zia-ul-Haque's family said that Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has assured it of the arrest of controversial Independent MLA Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiyya in her husband's murder case, the former minister continues to be at large about three days after the incident. The widow of slain deputy superintendent of police (DSP), Parveen Azad, said again on Tuesday that the chief minister had on Monday assured that all her demands would be met, including Raja Bhaiyya's arrest, when he visited her place in Deoria area of Pratapgarh district. Meanwhile, Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati attacked the Samajwadi Party (SP) government, saying there was no law and order in the state. She demanded immediate arrest of the former minister and imposition of President's rule in Uttar Pradesh. "There is no law and order in Uttar Pradesh. There is Goonda Raj. The DSP was killed, an FIR was lodged, but he (Raja Bhaiyya) was not arrested. No action was taken against him," the former chief minister said. "Uttar Pradesh is fit for President's rule. Central government should immediately take a call on this. We will raise the question in Parliament. Question hour should be suspended and this matter be taken up," Mayawati insisted. Attacking SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, she said, "Mulayam Singh is not able to run the state and he has been dreaming of running the country." On Monday, conceding to the demand of DSP's wife, the chief minister had recommended a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). She had registered a complaint against Raja Bhaiyya and his aides on Sunday for the killing that took place a day before. The state has seen massive protests over the incident and alleged police inaction thereafter. Even the chief minister had faced angry protests during his Pratapgarh visit. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/dsp-murder-case-wife-reminds-akhilesh-yadav-uttar-pradesh-raja-bhaiyya/1/252629.html

"If I had a problem with him (the policeman), I would have had him transferred, not killed," said Raja Bhaiya, whose real name is Raghuraj Pratap Singh.
So, getting someone transferred for having a problem is now even in the realm of legitimacy. :isalute: http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/raja-bhaiya-resigns-cbi-inquiry-for-senior-policeman-s-murder-338078

Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has left for the US to teach business students at Harvard the finer points of his government's orchestration and coordination of the massive Maha-kumbh Mela that was held in Uttar Pradesh in February. (Akhilesh to explain Kumbh arrangements at Harvard) But at home, two of his ministers have displayed the sort of "goon-power" or "goonda-raj" that the young chief minister had vowed to expel when he was elected a year ago. UP Textile Minister Shivkumar Beria told a public gathering "No cop can do anything until I give orders. No cop can even sit till I give orders." The minister was unambiguous about his power or his intent. "If a cop does not listen to me, he has no right even for a minute to sit on the chair, he will be sacked within 24 hours," he warned. (Watch video here) Another minister, Ram Murti Verma, declared elsewhere that the state's notorious lawlessness cannot be curbed. "Crimes in UP keep happening, they (have) happened and will keep happening. No power can stop crimes in UP," professed Mr Verma, who holds the Social Welfare portfolio. (Your Comments) Terming the statements "unfortunate", Samajwadi Party spokesperson Rajendra Chaudhary said senior SP leader will talk to the ministers about their remarks. The ministers' disclosures come as the Chief Minister is being bombarded with accusations that he has not been able to improve law and order in his state, and that his own government is a snapshot of criminality. In March, his minister Raja Bhaiya was forced to resign after being accused of conspiring to have a senior police officer murdered in his constituency. (Akhilesh Yadav's political journey) Recently, even Mr Yadav's father, Mulayam Singh, who heads the Samajwadi Party, publicly urged him to improve security and safety in Uttar Pradesh. On Tuesday, the Yadav government began a statewide image makeover campaign and ministers have been asked to fan out in the state to communicate the achievements of the one-year-old Samajwadi Party government. Mr Beria and Mr Verma clearly believed their speeches fit into that plan. http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/uttar-pradesh-minister-s-shocking-remarks-no-cop-can-even-sit-without-my-permission-358170

The ministers can make those comments dime a dozen, no reason why Cops should pay heed. These ministers, and those who stand behind them, are brainless as is. More importantly whats with Harvard, and other reputed institutes like them, to invite Indian CMs and Ministers? What has Akhilesh Yadav done that one of the top institutions around the world has to hold a seminar for them? This has been done for other leaders too. Laloo Yadav used to use this to the hlt to suggest how Harvard was learning from him but his opposition were simply haters.

The ministers can make those comments dime a dozen' date=' [b']no reason why Cops should pay heed. These ministers, and those who stand behind them, are brainless as is. More importantly whats with Harvard, and other reputed institutes like them, to invite Indian CMs and Ministers? What has Akhilesh Yadav done that one of the top institutions around the world has to hold a seminar for them? This has been done for other leaders too. Laloo Yadav used to use this to the hlt to suggest how Harvard was learning from him but his opposition were simply haters.
Wrong!!! They will be sacked or in big trouble , ministers have immense power.

Why surprised ? Mayawati used to have only one chair in her room which meant that anybody who came to see her had to sit on the floor. Wether ministers or cops' date= they all had to sit on the floor.
Well she clearly had not met Suri, my RIT Jamshedpur buddy. Suri was an Andhra gult whose father has settled in Ranchi. He and I were visiting a fellow girl student who lived in Ranchi. Her father was lazying in the garden on one of those old rocking chairs. That was also the only chair in the garden. After the usual namaste, beta kaise ho, kabhi Papa Mummy ko lekar aao etc..her Dad said Khade kyun ho baith jaao. Suri looks at me and deadpans - Kya be kya kahta hai, Uncle ke la**e pe baith jaayein. needless to say we couldnt meet the girl student :giggle::giggle: