Day 3 Discussion Thread

Gambit

I think we bowled really really well to get 9 wickets. Remember Polly said day 3 is best for batting. Also, we did not leak runs. We gave away only 229 runs in the days play. :wtg: Obviously, the batting has to stand up. Our 2nd innings will be like T2I3 when RSA declared at 265 setting us 300+. Sehwag, Laxman and Tendulkar are the key. I hope and pray that we don't go in for a safety first approach because not only can that give us a draw instead of a win, it can also cause us to lose the test.

Re: Day 3 Discussion Thread I guess India needs to change the Batting order a bit for tomorrow Play first session calmly and then score well when in the second session It would not be good if India loses wickets in the first session It would be great if India plays with a run rate of 3.5 - 4.0

Re: Day 3 Discussion Thread Pfft...what is there to discuss Gambit ? It's in the bag now - currently India have got one hand on that trophy already. I wouldn't mind seeing Veeru promoted up the order for India's 2nd innings bash. Let him loose and watch the sparks fly. Even another quickfire 40 could do wonders for the middle order's confidence, sending the South African seamers scurrying for cover right away. A target of 250 should be enough for setting up the showdown on day 5.

Re: Day 3 Discussion Thread india need to bat for 70 overs... then have a go at them for next 15 overs on day 4. current lead is 41 runs. we should bat them out first so that we can attack relentlessly all day...with close in fielders and attacking field all the time... we should look to give 100 overs to SA...that means we can bat 75 overs so we will have to score at 4 runs per over...to get a lead around 340-350. which is more than enough... we are at the same situation..we were at sydney 3 years back... lets see if Dravid repeat the same mistake and miss the chance to be among the greatest captains of india by winning the series or he goes the defeatists way as ganguly went 3 years back... opportunity has knocked at the door of dravid...he needs to grab it now with both hands.. 350 should be the target. not more than that..

Re: Day 3 Discussion Thread We should go all out for a win. Doesn't matter if we end up losing going for it. Don't want us to lose it going all defensive. To me 1-1 or 1-2 doesn't matter. But a series win, that would be something different. Setup a target of 350 batting about 80 overs.

Re: Day 3 Discussion Thread it is funny how people jump so ahead of the game.. we were 250/3 and some people were saying 550 should be the target.. then when SA were at 141/1, people said they will give us 100+ runs lead.. it is not a straightforward game.. collapse do happen.. bowlers could have good day at the office.. just take it session by session..

Re: Day 3 Discussion Thread OK..........lemme tell you guys what is going to happen here. The pitch is getting more difficult to score runs on............SA only scored 229 today................so forget 350 etc etc. India will most probably get bowled out for 220 sometime late on Day 4. Leaving SA 260 to win on Day 5. SA get up to 244 for 7 at close. Match Drawn ! All Indians thank Master Blaster (Jnr) & Co for their slow batting in the 1st Inns.

Re: Day 3 Discussion Thread

OK..........lemme tell you guys what is going to happen here. The pitch is getting more difficult to score runs on............SA only scored 229 today................so forget 350 etc etc. India will most probably get bowled out for 220 sometime late on Day 4. Leaving SA 260 to win on Day 5. SA get up to 244 for 7 at close. Match Drawn ! All Indians thank Master Blaster (Jnr) & Co for their slow batting in the 1st Inns.
244/7...hahaahha dem sure R sum sweet dreams m8

Re: Day 3 Discussion Thread If there is a team who chokes more than India it is South Africa. I think the current chances stand at 50-25-25 for India-South Africa-Draw. The first session has to be batted out very carefully with no regard to the run rate and make sure we dont lose more than 2 wickets. Then hammer the Saffies for 40-45 overs till close to end of play tomorrow.

Re: Day 3 Discussion Thread A lot of work needs to be done to win this game. Firstly, we cant afford to lose early wickets , at the same time we need to score at a high run rate so that we could bowl atleast 10 overs on day 4 , and ofcourse we have to bowl well to pickup 10 wickets within 100 overs

Re: Day 3 Discussion Thread I think the key to day 4 is that we bat the way we did in the first innings at the start, Jaffer and Khartik should open and try and give us another good opening patnership. If they bat till lunch they will be set and they bpoth shuld up the anit, batt faster, 3.5-4.5 runsper over and we send Shewag to batt next so he will have sme fun and maybe give us aboost maybe a quick fifty or even more would be fabulous. Dravid, Laxman and Jaffer are our batsmen that bat as long as possible while Khartik, Ganguly, Shewag and Tendulkar are our batsmen that take chance scoring over a run a ball. If we bat the whole day tomorow we should reach about 250 (hopefully more) and so we should have a lead of 300, we declare overnight and set SA 300+ to win and Kumble, Tendulkar and Sehwag clean the South African up and we win 2-1, what a start to 2007. I'll be waking up earley tomorrow as I live in London and i'll be at the laptop all day on indiancricketfans.com