Ganguly hails Dhoni and his boys

coffee_rules

Ganguly seems to be asking to return his favors to Dhoni. In his first tournament as captain, he won the World Cup, what more can you ask for," an ecstatic Ganguly said. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ganguly hails Dhoni and his boys Harish Kotian | September 24, 2007 22:58 IST Scorecard | Images Former India captain Sourav Ganguly [Images] hailed Mahendra Singh Dhoni [Images] and his team after India's triumph at the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup in Johannesburg on Monday.. "It is fantastic," he told rediff.com from Kolkata after India beat Pakistan by five runs in a thrilling final.

In a match that saw fortunes fluctuate till the dying moments, India scored 157 for five and then held its nerve to dismiss Pakistan for 152 with just three balls to spare. "I think India were always in control," Ganguly added. He showered rich praise on Dhoni for leading the side to the title in his only first outing as captain. "What can I say about his captaincy? It was just brilliant! "In his first tournament as captain, he won the World Cup, what more can you ask for," an ecstatic Ganguly said. It was India's first major triumph since winning the 60 overs-a-side World Cup in 1983. trans.gif

Ganguly seems to be asking to return his favors to Dhoni. In his first tournament as captain, he won the World Cup, what more can you ask for," an ecstatic Ganguly said. trans.gif
Words of wisdom...Listen up world Dhoni has arrived. I beleive this must be unprecedented of sorts - to win a WC in the very first tournament. :dance:

Back in 1983 a young Kapil Dev led us to a glorious world cup victory overthrowing the then champs, which changed the game of cricket permanently. ODIs, a less desired format till then had assumed prominence, since then. Today a 26 year old Dhoni led us to our first major glory in cricket in close to two decades, in a format of the game that is just emerging. This will have a telling effect on 20/20's future (as without Indian fan following, the game can hardly take off) We will soon start seeing 20/20s mixed with the ODIs (which will still be in the market for its longer television hours) in every bilateral series.

Back in 1983 a young Kapil Dev led us to a glorious world cup victory overthrowing the then champs, which changed the game of cricket permanently. ODIs, a less desired format till then had assumed prominence, since then. Today a 26 year old Dhoni led us to our first major glory in cricket in close to two decades, in a format of the game that is just emerging. This will have a telling effect on 20/20's future (as without Indian fan following, the game can hardly take off) We will soon start seeing 20/20s mixed with the ODIs (which will still be in the market for its longer television hours) in every bilateral series.
It is almost a given a that the two wins shall be part of Indian cricketing folklore and hence would be compared. It is of course too early to comment on the comparison of the two teams - I mean how do you compare a team of Rohit Sharmas, Uthappas, YK Pathans - against a team that had veterans like Sunny, Mohinder and Kapil? What you can compare though is the leadership of the two captains. Like Dhoni in 2007, WC 1983 was the first tournament of such kind that Kapil led India in. He had led in bi-lateral series but not in a tournament(which were not too many to speak off back then anyway). Like 2007 the 1983 team was written off by "experts". And like 1983 Indian team triumphed largely due to agression, tight fielding and never say die atitude of the players. Do also bear in mind that Kapil had a very easy approach to cricket, quite similar to Dhoni's really. So many times have I heard a Sreekhanth, a Yashpal Sharma mention how after India were dismissed for 183 in finals Kapil told the players, "Look we have played good cricket till now, lets just go out and enjoy". Rest is history...same with Dhoni...he also maintains the same "lets go out and enjoy" theory. xxx
It is almost a given a that the two wins shall be part of Indian cricketing folklore and hence would be compared. It is of course too early to comment on the comparison of the two teams - I mean how do you compare a team of Rohit Sharmas, Uthappas, YK Pathans - against a team that had veterans like Sunny, Mohinder and Kapil? What you can compare though is the leadership of the two captains. Like Dhoni in 2007, WC 1983 was the first tournament of such kind that Kapil led India in. He had led in bi-lateral series but not in a tournament(which were not too many to speak off back then anyway). Like 2007 the 1983 team was written off by "experts". And like 1983 Indian team triumphed largely due to agression, tight fielding and never say die atitude of the players. Do also bear in mind that Kapil had a very easy approach to cricket, quite similar to Dhoni's really. So many times have I heard a Sreekhanth, a Yashpal Sharma mention how after India were dismissed for 183 in finals Kapil told the players, "Look we have played good cricket till now, lets just go out and enjoy". Rest is history...same with Dhoni...he also maintains the same "lets go out and enjoy" theory. xxx
Very true. After listening to Dhoni in post match interviews, am beginning to believe more of it. Both Kapil & Dhoni are straight shooters, both speak from the heart, dont think or process their words too much (like a Dravid). Their approach to captaincy also seems similar. Both of them advised their teams, to go out there and enjoy themselves. Both play their cricket aggressively and with a fearlessness uncharacteristic of typical subcontinentals. Am really excited about Dhoni's captaincy. If he can keep performing with the bat & keep well in addition to his captaincy duties, he will go on to become India's greatest captain.
Very true. After listening to Dhoni in post match interviews' date=' am beginning to believe more of it. [b']Both Kapil & Dhoni are straight shooters, both speak from the heart, dont think or process their words too much (like a Dravid). Their approach to captaincy also seems similar. Both of them advised their teams, to go out there and enjoy themselves. Both play their cricket aggressively and with a fearlessness uncharacteristic of typical subcontinentals. Am really excited about Dhoni's captaincy. If he can keep performing with the bat & keep well in addition to his captaincy duties, he will go on to become India's greatest captain.
Indeed. I would also like to say that Kapil and Dhoni had another similarity - fearlessness. Ian Chappell summed it up best when he said Dhoni was a no-fear cricketer. Kapil of course was Devil-may-care. I mention Kapil because Sunny, while easily the greatest Indian batsman I saw, was more of a safe-approach guy than aggression under any circumstances. In this case Dravid comes across as no-different(remember the last Test in England). I like Dhoni's approach to cricket and I wish Indian think tank just let him have free reign, atleast for a year or two and see how it goes. xxx

Dhoni treats cricket for what it is. A simple game of making runs and taking wickets. The thing with cricket is that the game can be as simple or as complicated as you want. Dhoni likes to keep things very simple and puts very little pressure on his players. Out in the field, he is like a sponge who soaks up all the pressure and is a calming influence for the rest of the squad. Even after Jokinder bowled a wide, Dhoni's face betrayed no emotion. He just ran to Jokinder whilst juggling the ball in his hand and told him to keep it together. We are in for some memorable times under MSD IMO.

Out in the field, he is like a sponge who soaks up all the pressure and is a calming influence for the rest of the squad. Even after Jokinder bowled a wide, Dhoni's face betrayed no emotion. He just ran to Jokinder whilst juggling the ball in his hand and told him to keep it together.
He is what I would call kaleja-waala captain. I know it is easy to get carried away but Dhoni, to me, is the captain of this tournament. I was almost mad at him for not going over the top and celebrating wickets in last over against Australia. I was like WTF!!!! Then I realized what a cool customer this guy is..ball$ of steel. xx