Shoaib Malik's narrow minded statement

King

Mukul's article in cricinfo .. very nicely put Scenes from a final spacer.gif So India won. I know it's silly to get carried away, but not since Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi have Indians watched their cricket team being led with such nerveless flair. And the Nawab was born hosed and shod with Harrow to help and a silver service in his mouth. Our current skipper does a commercial where he talks about how he could have been a ticket-collector in the railways! There's something about Dhoni … People keep saying that he represents India's new mofussil man, the hungry provincial, but he's more than a stereotype. If stamping their feet and scowling at errant players is typical of the find-someone-to-blame reflex of Indian captains, then Dhoni is the first grown-up skipper we've had in decades. I don't think giving Joginder Sharma the last over twice-running was such a stroke of genius: he bowled short and wide and it was the tension of the game rather than Sharma, that kept Misbah-ul-Haq at bay, but Dhoni had his reasons and he backs his hunches without looking oppressed by the need to make big decisions. For that we should all be grateful. They should give him the Test captaincy. Not because Twenty20 is a guide to Test form, but because he's the only adult in Indian cricket. Deciding to bat first turned out to be the sensible thing to do. I think the Pakistanis bowled brilliantly, better, collectively, than our lot, but Dhoni had gambled that runs on the board, batting first, would be worth a few wickets in a World Cup final and he was dead right. Umar Gul was unplayable: to bowl yorker after yorker at nearly ninety miles an hour in the bedlam of a Twenty20 game, you have to be a very superior player. And Shoaib captained like a young genius: the decision to go with spin at both ends the moment Yuvraj walked in at the fall of the second wicket was inspired. He thought him out. When the team was announced at the start of the match, half-a-dozen times through the match and then after it was over, I thought of the parents of the Brothers Pathan. To have two sons in India's eleven, to have your older boy hit the second ball of his international career for six, to see him bowl an over, then to watch your younger son return triumphantly to form when it mattered most, to see him made the Man of this Mother of all Matches, must have been more magical than a fairy tale. Rajdeep Sardesai tells of the time Irfan took him to the home he grew up in, just to show him the improbable origins of an Indian champion. Two rooms in the compound of the mosque where his father was the Imam. Talk about happy endings! spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif Then the Pakistan captain said something that was so irrelevant that I couldn't believe my ears. So I looked at the highlights over and over again to make sure that I'd actually heard him say it. This is what he said to master of ceremonies, Ravi Shastri, who asked him a sympathetic question about the game after Shoaib had collected his loser's medal: "First of all I want to say something over here. I want to thank you back home Pakistan and where the Muslim lives all over the world." This is what he said word for word because it's important to quote him correctly. The problem here isn't the syntax, it is the sentiment. I don't expect Shoaib Malik to be a politically correct intellectual, but it is reasonable to expect him to know the world of cricket that he inhabits. It is a world where Muslims, Hindus and a Sikh currently play for England, where Buddhists, Muslims, Christians and a Hindu play for Sri Lanka, where Hashim Amla turns out for South Africa, where a Patel plays for New Zealand, where Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and Hindus play (and have always played) for India. Why would Shoaib think, then, that the Muslims of the world were collectively rooting for the Pakistan team or that they felt let down by its defeat? Did he stop to think of how Danish Kaneria, his Hindu team-mate, might feel hearing his Test skipper all but declare that the Pakistan team is a Muslim team that plays for the Muslims of the world? It is one thing to be publicly religious—Shahid Afridi thanked Allah and Matt Hayden and Shaun Pollock are proud, believing Christians—quite another to declare that your country's cricket eleven bats for international Islam. Is this the forum to talk about this? Shouldn't Cricinfo and cricket's online community stick to cricket and leave issues like this alone? No we shouldn't, because Shoaib Malik chose to make it our business by saying it in team colours at the end of the ICC World Twenty20 final. He said something that goes to the heart of cricket's loyalties, its culture, its plurality of race and faith and language. If Shoaib took in nothing else about the final, he must have noticed that the bowler who took his wicket was called Irfan Khan Pathan, that the Indian team's most visible cheerleader, the guy who was hugging Indian players in turn at the end of the game, was one Shah Rukh Khan. I feel a residual distaste in even mentioning their names because both Shah Rukh and Irfan are admired in India for what they've achieved, not who they are. But sometimes it is important to spell things out and Shoaib could do with the instruction.

I can't believe how totally out of proportion this has all been blown. Lets look at the facts. The standard of English in the Pakistani team is pretty poor. Shoaib Malik is a young guy and you could see how under pressure he felt and looked at the post match interview. It was a clear slip of the tongue, as i'm 100% sure he meant to say Pakistanis and not Muslims. If you're in any doubt, just read his post match interview after the semi-final. He made the exact same comments but as he was more relaxed, he managed to say what he meant. The fact is our Pakistani boys don't get anywhere near the same level of education that Indians do and most of them just have rehearsed lines, which they will regurgitate time and time again. I'm sure if Malk done the interview in Urdu/Punjabi he would've never made the same mistake. Please people it was just an innocent error. I've also read quite a few posters getting offended by the use of the word 'InshAllah'. If you hear Danish Kaneria speak he often uses the word too. It's just an every day word for a Muslim and i'm stunned as to how people link it in to extremism and violence related issues! Sorry to go off on one for my first post. Well done to India. A thoroughly deserved victory and a fitting final. I'm heartbroken but i will recover:psalute:

I can't believe how totally out of proportion this has all been blown. Lets look at the facts. The standard of English in the Pakistani team is pretty poor. Shoaib Malik is a young guy and you could see how under pressure he felt and looked at the post match interview. It was a clear slip of the tongue, as i'm 100% sure he meant to say Pakistanis and not Muslims. If you're in any doubt, just read his post match interview after the semi-final. He made the exact same comments but as he was more relaxed, he managed to say what he meant. The fact is our Pakistani boys don't get anywhere near the same level of education that Indians do and most of them just have rehearsed lines, which they will regurgitate time and time again. I'm sure if Malk done the interview in Urdu/Punjabi he would've never made the same mistake. Please people it was just an innocent error. I've also read quite a few posters getting offended by the use of the word 'InshAllah'. If you hear Danish Kaneria speak he often uses the word too. It's just an every day word for a Muslim and i'm stunned as to how people link it in to extremism and violence related issues! Sorry to go off on one for my first post. Well done to India. A thoroughly deserved victory and a fitting final. I'm heartbroken but i will recover:psalute:
Good First Post WestPunjab !! East Punjabi here :D :isalute: Welcome to the Site !

also it might make sense for some of these guys to make an effort to learn English ... sehwag,bhajji,pathan couldnt speak a lick of english when they came into the team ... they all made an effort to learn and can now speak fairly decent english ......

Guest dada_rocks
dude it may be small matter across the bord but rest of the world takes these things seriously

Excellent first post, hope to see you around more often

Good post! I see where you are coming from but on a stage like that Malik cant afford a slip of the tongue. And what might seem like a trivial thing in Pak can stir up the wrong sentiments elsewhere. I bet my bottom dollar that a lot of people now have a not so favorable opinion on Malik!

Good post! I see where you are coming from but on a stage like that Malik cant afford a slip of the tongue. And what might seem like a trivial thing in Pak can stir up the wrong sentiments elsewhere. I bet my bottom dollar that a lot of people now have a not so favorable opinion on Malik!
I think Malik can afford the odd slip of tongue. He is in his mid twenties captaining his country in the most passionate sport in the country, but he has to come out with the retraction if he felt he said something he did not want to say. If he doesn't he loses a lot of following. All my Muslim friends of Indian origin cannot conceal their anger over the statement already.

All my Muslim friends of Indian origin cannot conceal their anger over the statement already.
Same here, some Indian Muslim friends of mine are pretty pissed off at that statement. Although I honestly believe it was a mistake on Malik's part, unfortunately some damage is already done.

I think Malik can afford the odd slip of tongue. He is in his mid twenties captaining his country in the most passionate sport in the country' date=' but he has to come out with the retraction if he felt he said something he did not want to say. If he doesn't he loses a lot of following. All my Muslim friends of Indian origin cannot conceal their anger over the statement already.[/quote'] Shwetabh, Can you imagine what would have happened had Dhoni said that he wanted to thank all the Hindu people instead of Indian people?? It is not just a slip of tongue. How could Malik even imagine that Pakistan meant only muslim people?? I could see that he was struggling in English there thanking all the Indian nations as if there were hundreds of India in this world!! But even to think that Pakistani meant muslims is a serious thing. If it was slip of tongue, then it means that if he said Pakistanis would have been just because of political correctness but he felt that all muslims were rooting for his team and hence it came out!! It was shocking to say the least!!

Shwetabh, Can you imagine what would have happened had Dhoni said that he wanted to thank all the Hindu people instead of Indian people?? It is not just a slip of tongue. How could Malik even imagine that Pakistan meant only muslim people?? I could see that he was struggling in English there thanking all the Indian nations as if there were hundreds of India in this world!! But even to think that Pakistani meant muslims is a serious thing. If it was slip of tongue, then it means that if he said Pakistanis would have been just because of political correctness but he felt that all muslims were rooting for his team and hence it came out!! It was shocking to say the least!!
Chandan, for someone who was born and brought up in the grassroots of Pakistan in post-Zia Pakistan there is very little to distinguish between Pakistan and their political parties' twisted concept of Islam. They hear their country being synonymous to a religion so often that it becomes a kind of tautology we are used to in India, "all politicians are corrupt". These are experiences of a few close Pakistani friends I have and none conform to it but street level politics breeds these thoughts. Given that the level of education of the average Pakistani cricket is fairly low(not meant as an offence, for in the end their jo is to play cricket), such statements of ignorance in the heat of the moment can be understood. But more importantly, there should be retraction of it as well in hindsight by Malik.