Momentum with us, we can beat Australia: Ganguly

DesiChap

Momentum with us, we can beat Australia: Ganguly Wednesday, 26 September , 2007, 17:25 New Delhi: Sourav Ganguly believes India's Twenty20 World Cup triumph is an extension of the team's purple patch and the side is capable of beating world champions Australia in the seven-match ODI series starting on Saturday. Ganguly said despite India's Twenty20 victory in South Africa, the series against Australia would be a difficult one because the format would be different. "It's completely a different format of the game. Fifty-over matches would require more skills than Twenty20. It will be a lot more difficult game. India must beware Aussie backlash "We have to take a series at a time and I think we are capable of beating Australia," Ganguly told NDTV. And Ganguly's optimism stems from the side's impressive show in recent times. "In the last six-seven months, Indian cricket has done well, starting from the Bangladesh tour to South Africa, England and now in the Twenty20 World Cup." Ganguly heaped praise on Mahendra Singh Dhoni and said the Jharkhand player was outstanding as a skipper in South Africa. "I think he has done a wonderful job there. I like his attitude on the field. He has got a carefree attitude, which is important. As India captain, you have lot of pressure to go with it and you need that sort of attitude to succeed," he said. Dhoni led India to a nail-biting five-run win against arch-rivals Pakistan in the Twenty20 World Cup final and during the celebration, he took his shirt off and gifted it to an young fan. Asked if that reminded him of going shirtless in the Lord's balcony when India won the NatWest trophy, a coy Ganguly said, "No, not really." http://sify.com/sports/fullstory.php?id=14533619

We can definately beat the Aussies in the one-dayers mainly because the players must be feeling a million dollars now and key players will be missing from the Aus team. I dont know if Ponting is out or not , but Hussey , Tait , Watson are all out. Our best chance is to prepare comparatively slow batting beauties. Our batsman are good enough anyway to fire against their bowling but it will be great if our slower bowlers can restrict them in the middle overs. I am very optimistic about this series.

I am sure if we have good series against Aussies' date='( even if we lose by 4-3), pakistan will be mauled in test series.[/quote'] It's an interesting point. Teams that have come off matches against Australia have usually ended up fairing much better. The 4-3 loss to England may seem a bit discouraging but England came out of the VB series as winners too.

i think the strike rate and good start will be two key things..with our openers.. since Ganguly is an opener in ODIs..he must not be " accommodated" in middle order ... and he must be told straight to play sensible aggresive cricket..or hand out his boots for ever.. we have better players than him to replace him... who can score freely..with good SR and will save few runs in the field as well..

We can definately beat the Aussies in the one-dayers mainly because the players must be feeling a million dollars now and key players will be missing from the Aus team. I dont know if Ponting is out or not , but Hussey , Tait , Watson are all out. Our best chance is to prepare comparatively slow batting beauties. Our batsman are good enough anyway to fire against their bowling but it will be great if our slower bowlers can restrict them in the middle overs. I am very optimistic about this series.
hussey tait and watson? source boss? i can understand watson, for all his biceps and triceps he is more brittle than crystal glassware, but whats wrong with tait now? and hussey seemed fine till a week ago!
It'll take a hell of a lot of momentum to push Ganguly out. The man's in good form' date=' has been one of our more consistent batsmen at the top of the order in his anchor role, and I expect he'll do well against Australia.[/quote'] Damn straight! He is the second highest run-scorer in ODIs this year. Second to Matthew Hayden. Ganguly has scored over 1000 runs at an average of 51 this year.