Magic Ball

King

This was the one I referred to in the Best delivery thread. This one is from the 1996 test series between Pakistan and England. [googlevideo]-1933886673500475951&hl=en[/googlevideo] Bowled from a wide angle from around the stumps, the natural path of the ball was to head down the leg side but in the last few yards the ball changed its path. Reverse swing at its best and this defies physics. The ball moving in the air changing direction twice in the air bamboozled not just the batter but the umpire too. If the ball ended up going behind the wickets it will have ended between the keeper and the first slip IMO. P1qJDs4lbNg

i think wasims ball is harder to bowl than what blewett did. Blewetts natural angle was helping the ball. If he had been bowling from round the wicket' date=' and then produced a ball like that, it would have been similar[/quote'] Yup right on the money there holysmoke. The angle at which Wasim was bowling makes it next to impossible to get the ball to start moving the other way. I don't reckon there has been anyone that could do that.

Being a lefthanded medium pacer myself , i can only imagine how impossible it would be for anyone to bowl a ball like that. Dhondy is absolutely right ! Wasim was mastery at work. And when i think about Wasim and his greatness , my mind goes to how worse pakistan have been in treating their past legends. Be it Wasim , Waqar and now Inzi. Good or bad , you should respect what these people have done for their country.

WOW @ Wasim's ball. Thanks for sharing it Ravi. I dont think Blewett's delivery even compares with this one. In Blewett's case the ball dipped deeper than its natural angle, but it did follow its natural angle. In Wasim's case he was a left armer bowling around the wickets & the ball AT THE VERY LAST MINUTE (not just deviated but) BOOMERANGED opposite to its natural angle. Sheer magic!

Wasim was a magician. Generation down the line would look at his stats 414 wickets in 104 tests and wonder why is a bowler with less than 4 wickets per tests considered better than those with almost 5? Blessed are the generations that actually saw him bowl and would have no such doubts. :thumbs_up: On a similar note I loved this delivery from Simon Jones. EW6SdyoNebo

Mortaza bowled a similar one to Jaffy in the 1st test' date=' Chucky got Matty out like that too in their last tour in Australia.[/quote'] That is like saying that 'Zaheer Khan bowled a similar delivery to Gayle as Holding did to Gavaskar' because they were both bouncers. What this ball of Wasim's did was incredible.

That is like saying that 'Zaheer Khan bowled a similar delivery to Gayle as Holding did to Gavaskar' because they were both bouncers. What this ball of Wasim's did was incredible.
I think Anakin was referring to the ball bowled by S.Jones not the Wasim Akram one.

The question I have is , how much was it aided by ball tampering . I remember Shoaib claiming that he could bowl deliveries which took pitch out of the equation and yes , we have seen him doing that before on numerous occasions.But , we don't see these magic deliveries that often nowadays. Me thinks extra cameras and neutral umpires being vigilant have a large part to play in the reduction of these magic deliveries. But , I am willing to give Wasim the benefit of the doubt on more occasions than not.

The question I have is ' date=' how much was it aided by ball tampering . I remember Shoaib claiming that he could bowl deliveries which took pitch out of the equation and yes , we have seen him doing that before on numerous occasions.But , we don't see these magic deliveries that often nowadays. Me thinks extra cameras and neutral umpires being vigilant have a large part to play in the reduction of these magic deliveries. But , I am willing to give Wasim the benefit of the doubt on more occasions than not.[/quote'] What Wasim did there had little or nothing to do with ball tampering. If you tamper with the ball, you get the ball to 'explode' from the pitch or move extremely in the air. But to get a ball to change trajectories like that is simply 100 % skill, not tampering. The reason we don't see these magic deliveries anymore is because we have no quality pacer who has the capability of bowling those deliveries. At the end of the day, McGrath, Pollock etc. are not that skilled in making the ball talk. They are bowlers who bowl within their limitations and do an excellent job of that.