Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh devastated by rain; 550+ dead, thousands stranded

rkt.india

Tsunami-like crisis: Rescue slow, nearly 63,000 people still stranded, more than 5000 in a lost

Destroyed roads and wrecked communication infrastructure continued to hamper rescue efforts in flood-ravaged Uttarakhand for the fifth day Wednesday. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi surveyed the devastation by air, following which the PM announced a Rs 1,000 crore relief package for the state. According to official data made available Wednesday, 62,970 people were stranded at various places in the hills. A total 19,724 people had been evacuated since the "early monsoon flash flood" struck the state, officials said. The PMO put the number of dead at 102. The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) said 71 had died. Eyewitness accounts and unofficial estimates said the toll was likely to be much higher. Officials said the focus was currently on rescue and evacuation of survivors. Related: 'I watched my wife being swept away by torrent' Only about 1,100 people could be lifted out of the disaster zone in Uttarakhand on Wednesday, with tens of thousands still stranded in the hills that continued to be cut off. Twenty-two helicopters belonging to the IAF and private operators were pressed into service, 17 of which concentrated exclusively on evacuating survivors. Most evacuations were carried out in the Kedarnath valley. But over 20,000 people, including pilgrims, were still to be airlifted in Rudraprayag district where Kedarnath is located, the disaster monitoring and control room in Dehradun said. Among those evacuated from Rudraprayag on Wednesday was district magistrate Vijay Dhondiyal, apparently after he developed a medical condition. No official word on the officer's health was forthcoming, but a source in the state government suggested he had been affected by the stress. "He had perhaps suffered angina pain. He has been admitted to a local hospital in Dehradun. He was disturbed by the scale of the disaster in his district," the source said. Meanwhile, NDMA vice-chairman M Shashidhar Reddy told The Indian Express that the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) had, on June 12, forecast heavy rain in the region, but the "time from rainfall to flood was very less". The result, Reddy said, was a crisis of the kind unseen in decades in the area. "The forecast made by IMD on June 12th said that there was going to be heavy rainfall in Uttarakhand and Orissa. There was no clarity on the magnitude of the rain. What we are seeing right now is a tsunami-like situation. Such kind of heavy rainfall has taken place after 60 years in the region," Reddy said. The prime minister, who heads the NDMA, described the situation as "most distressing". Related: 'My father is dead, my mother is sitting with body' "What chairperson UPA and I saw today was most distressing. While the most recent estimates put the death toll at 102, it is feared that loss of lives could eventually be much higher," he told reporters in New Delhi. "Many persons still remain stranded. The maximum damage has been in Kedarnath and its vicinity." Some 5,500 jawans and officers of the Army, 3,000 men of the Border Roads Organisation, and 6,000 personnel of the ITBP are engaged in the relief and rescue effort. Thirteen teams of the National Disaster Response Force, which works under the NDMA, have been deployed. Eighteen IAF helicopters and a C-130 transport aircraft have been called in. The Uttarakhand government has requisitioned several private choppers as well. Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, who met the PM in New Delhi, said the Kedarnath shrine was safe, but would have to remain out of bounds for at least a year until the shrine and the area are cleaned and the debris removed. The ITBP rescued around 4,000 people on Wednesday. "Most of the roads and bridges have been washed away, so we are building rope bridges to reach people. Helicopters are flying as many sorties as possible. The weather is a serious problem," Ajay Chaddha, DG, ITBP, who flew over the area with union home secretary R K Singh, said. Another ITBP official said, "Our priority is to evacuate stranded people. We are not even fishing out bodies at this time. Evacuating the elderly in Kedarnath is proving to be the most difficult. Many can't walk, and we are arranging stretchers, which is taking time." The PM announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh each to the families of the dead and Rs 50,000 each to the injured. Those who have lost a part or all of their homes will get assistance of between Rs 50,000 and 1 lakh. Cabinet Secretary Ajit Kumar Seth chaired a high level meeting to assess the situation Wednesday. Minister of State for Home R P N Singh said: "Bad weather is slowing the rescue operation. At least 450 per cent more rainfall has been witnessed in these regions, which has led to flooding. A helicopter was washed away even though it had been chained."
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/tsunamilike-crisis-rescue-slow-nearly-63000-people-still-stranded/1131491/3

salute to indian army/air force for their work. :isalute: its sad to know bureacrats and politicians will make their life hell when they retire. :((
The only saving grace is that this area has a substantial presence of armed forces and that will help with the rescue work.

Why do people take little children to Places like Kedarnath and Badrinath?These are places for pilgrimage ..not summer holiday spots? Earlier people used to go to these places in the old age after they were done with their responsibilities. The yatra was a part of the pilgrimage.Now families go there on package tours putting far too much strain on the delicate ecology.The politicians encourage it for their gains. Sad...nature is ruthless when abused.

Why do people take little children to Places like Kedarnath and Badrinath?These are places for pilgrimage ..not summer holiday spots? Earlier people used to go to these places in the old age after they were done with their responsibilities. The yatra was a part of the pilgrimage. Now families go there on package tours putting far too much strain on the delicate ecology.The politicians encourage it for their gains. Sad...nature is ruthless when abused.
Now its a business.

Army still has a huge craze in Uttarakhand.
Yes it still is ...but things are changing.People are looking at other options now .Almost everyone in my father's generation in my family was in the forces...most in my husbands age grp are in the forces but only some of my younger cousins have opted for it.

Yep gaharwal rajputs are one of the purest clan of rajputs. No wonder dhoni wants to join army after retiring from cricket. God bless the jawans who are involved in rescue operations.
Dhoni is Kumauni. He is from Almora, comes in Kumaun region of Uttarakhand.

Yes it still is ...but things are changing.People are looking at other options now .Almost everyone in my father's generation in my family was in the forces...most in my husbands age grp are in the forces but only some of my younger cousins have opted for it.
Most want to go NDA way but joining Army through NDA is getting difficult day by day, so it is another reason for that. NDA now is more difficult than getting a good rank in AIEEE.

oh' date=' ok. Kumaunis are like the Brahmins in rajputs. Aren't they?[/quote'] No. These regions are separated because of language difference. People are pretty much same. People from that region speak Kumauni language. People from Garhwal speak Garhwali. Kumaoni have Brahmins, Kumauni/Khas Rajput, and Shilpkars categories of castes or vaishya. PS: I believe word Dhoni is a wrong spelling as it gives wrong pronunciation. It should be Dhauni rather than Dhoni.

oh' date=' ok. Kumaunis are like the Brahmins in rajputs. Aren't they?[/quote'] No ...Kumaon and Garhwal are two regions of the state Uttarakhand. Rajputs and Brahmins form the largest population of the states hill region.

No ...Kumaon and Garhwal are two regions of the state Uttarakhand. Rajputs and Brahmins form the largest population of the states hill region.
Kumauni and Garhwali both have Rajpoot and Brahmin castes categories. It just that people who speak Kumauni language are called Kumauni and Garhwali speakers are called Garhwali and they mostly are from their specific regions. Though these two are not the only people in Uttarakhand. There is a third category of Pahari tribe called Jaunsar-Bawar. They also have a specific regions of Jaunsar and Bawar. They mostly commonly are called pahari or jaunsari. Even they have caste categories of Brahmin and Rajpoot like Chauhan, Tomar, etc. are Rajpoots and caste name like Joshi are Brahmin. But they come in ST category of caste, Scheduled tribe. Kumauni region: Almora, Bageshwar, Champawat, Pithoragarh, Nainital, and Udham Singh Nagar. Garhwal region: Chamoli, Dehradun, Haridwar, Pauri Garhwal, Rudraprayag, Tehri Garhwal, and Uttarkashi. Jaunsar-Bawar: Jaunsar-Bawar comprises two regions, inhabited by the two predominant tribes: 'Jaunsar', the lower half, while the snow-clad upper region is called 'Bawar', which includes, the 'Kharamba peak' (3084 mts.). This is a small part of Garhwal region., mainly situated at around Chakrata tehsil which is 50 odd kilometers from where I am. It is mainly a group of 100s of villages in around 1000 km area.
It is defined in the east, by the river Yamuna and by river Tons in the west, the northern part comprises Uttarkashi district, and some parts of Himachal Pradesh, the Dehradun tehsil forms its southern peripery.[

90 dharmshala's were filled with tourists in kedarnath ,during flood,no trace of 60 villages and 3 kasbas,it will take atleast 3 years to norm conditions in kedarnath.chamoli,uttarkashi,rudraprayag,kedarnath city completely destroyed ,people have started arriving in dehradun to find there relatives.:((