Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh devastated by rain; 550+ dead, thousands stranded

rkt.india

the chaddai rasta of kedarnath is very difficult,very steep,some people died en-route to the mandir in the chaddai itself,coming down on a horse was even more difficult,considering how slippery the path was, even my horse slipped a bit while coming down at night.. the cloud burst caused too much water flow along with rocky boulders mixed in it,its very difficult to survive this wrath :sniffle:

a guy named manish kumar garg stranded in kedarnath has made a video near the the temple,stating around 15 thousand might be dead,dogs were eating dead bodies ,government not providing enough aid or rescue ops.. he also said everything around the temple is ruined and many dead bodies lyingunder the debris and stinking.. this is really sad to know,may the rest get saved :pray:

a guy named manish kumar garg stranded in kedarnath has made a video near the the temple,stating around 15 thousand might be dead,dogs were eating dead bodies ,government not providing enough aid or rescue ops.. he also said everything around the temple is ruined and many dead bodies lyingunder the debris and stinking.. this is really sad to know,may the rest get saved :pray:
Mat Bol yaar sun ke hi man bahot upset ho raha hai.

Shucks this is real bad. The numbers seem catastrophic! Again I hope the numberes are no-where near that high :((:((

Now the information I am going to share with u ,is very depressing a person who survived kedarnath flood said on tv that he saw thousands of bodies there,many women and children amongst them...:((...he saw dogs eating dead bodies there and fighting with each other for there flesh...he also saw policemen dumping those bodies in river to hide the toll of deaths :((,few survivors saying that people were asking money from them for the air rescue,and those who were not able to give money were asked to give there jewellery,some people were charging 30rs per roti,200 rs per water bottle and also just to lay around 200rs :facepalm:.:((.this country has gone to dogs.

Bye god hum log kitne kaminay ho gye he yaar ,saala insaniyat naam ki cheese hi nahi hai,dear mods please in netao ko gaali dene ka man kar raha hai,mat rokna beep mat karna ,Saale yaa to ashvasan dete hai ,ya ninda karte hai,ya shok prakat karte hai,koi inki gawnd mar raha hoga,ya ma behen chowd raha hoga to bhi ye dalley ya to ninda karege ,ya shok manayege ya ashvasan denge ki saali seh le Bas thodi der ki to Baat hai,mere ek paying guest ke friend ki family ke saat members Gaye the,bicharey sirf us ladke ke father bacche hai,wo bhi aisey ki jab paani aaya to wo kisi ped ki jad ko pakde rahe teen din tak.

Now the information I am going to share with u ' date='is very depressing a person who survived kedarnath flood said on tv that he saw thousands of bodies there,many women and children amongst them...:((...he saw dogs eating dead bodies there and fighting with each other for there flesh...he also saw policemen dumping those bodies in river to hide the toll of deaths :((,few survivors saying that people were asking money from them for the air rescue,and those who were not able to give money were asked to give there jewellery,some people were charging 30rs per roti,200 rs per water bottle and also just to lay around 200rs :facepalm:.:((.this country has gone to dogs.[/quote'] I also heard similar thing from one of my friends whose relatives are stranded over there. His relatives were asked obscenely high amount, in few lakhs, to be rescued by chopper. I don't know whether that was army or IAF chopper or was private one. Also it sounds impractical that someone would be asking that much amount in cash. But it is shocking and disgusting.

09:00 am: Army finds 1000 people stranded near Gaurikund The Indian Army rescue team has finally made contact with a group of around 1000 people who were stranded between the pilgrimage site of Gaurikund, reports CNN-IBN. The group of people have been located between Gaurikund and Ram Bada and ropeways are being used to help evacuate the able bodied among the people. However, given that there are no roads and the terrain is a difficult to negotiate the evacuation will be a slow process. 08:00 am: Rescue operations to continue today IBN7′s Smita Sharma reports that the army is preparing to start sorties to rescue pilgrims from 9 am if the weather clears up, however, presently it isn’t very encouraging.
http://www.firstpost.com/india/uttarakhand-disaster-a-national-tragedy-says-modi-889911.html

Cloudbursts, landslides and flash floods are an annual affair in Uttarakhand. The monsoon of 2010 brought with it such massive losses of lives, property, crops and infrastructure that the state said its development clock had been set back by a decade. Things are much, much worse this year. With many highways damaged, bridges washed away, electricity and phone networks down, several ravaged places continue to be marooned. Expect the final tally to be horrifying. After all, the speediest monsoon in over 50 years has just dumped over 400% more than average rainfall over Uttarakhand and neighbouring Himachal Pradesh. Himachal chief minister Virbhadra Singh blames nature's fury — against which all disaster management must, presumably, fail. This characterisation is deceptive. India's premier disaster management body neither has implemented any project successfully nor has much information over progress at the state level. As for the Met, it's passing the buck by saying the state government had been warned about torrential rains on Friday night. Even if local administration had understood the implications of meteorological data, it didn't have much time to put out effective warnings across a state where 65% of the area is under forests. The bottom line is that in a region that has more reason than most for disaster preparedness, both local and central arms of the government have been greatly wanting. Personnel of the Army, Border Roads Organisation and Indo-Tibetan Border Police are trying their best. But a couple of dozen helicopters flying a few hundred sorties a day to rescue a region full of distressed citizens is emblematic of millennial India's broken promises. Some of these sorties were abandoned for want of fuel, while helplines are not giving nearly as much help as they should. The growing frequency of extreme climactic events is emboldening the claim that hydropower projects, encroachments of riverbeds by buildings, and blasting of mountains to build roads are making hill states more susceptible to disaster. But with a growing share of global economic activity becoming concentrated in disaster-prone places from Bangkok to Florida, building the human and physical infrastructure needed to tackle natural disaster is the best way forward, accompanied by credible mechanisms for ensuring compliance with environmental regulations. Meanwhile, as realisation trickles in that Uttarakhand's distress may be as bad as the tsunami which struck Indian shores in 2004, relief operations too need to be ramped up to a comparable level.
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-06-21/edit-page/40118107_1_disaster-preparedness-uttarakhand-hill-states

Lalit Pant, who with his family walked from Kedarnath to Ukhimath in Rudraprayag district through a dense forest, saw about 1,000 bodies, of which he rolled 300 down the steep gorge in the heavily-flooded Mandakini river. “Most of these people died of hunger and dehydration,” he said, adding that he did this nerve-wracking exercise because the bodies had started decomposing and was advised on this by the muleteers he met on the way. “We too would have met with the same fate had we been late even by a few hours in reaching here,” said Pant, a football coach from Meerut, recalling how he trekked through the forested area for six days. related story ‘I last heard from my mother stuck at Gangotri on Thursday’ ‘Lack of coordination delaying information' ‘It’s like delivering a baby’ “It was a 25-km mountainous trek through a virgin dense forest … but we made our way through a route that was strewn with the bodies,” narrated the 47-year-old the experience he, his wife and two 10-year-old daughters had. “We were forced to pass our nights in forests amid those carcasses only,” said Pant, dazed. Death was the word most repeated on the helpline run by the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA). “Please take me out or I will die … there are dead bodies all around. There is no food and I cannot bear it anymore,” said a caller who was rescued in Kedarnath on Thursday. “The hills are falling, please save us,” said another caller. A person from Delhi pleaded with NDMA officials to trace 12 family members who had gone to four pilgrimages and could not be contacted. “I will be orphaned if you fail to find them … the entire blame would fall on you,” he said.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/NewDelhi/Bodies-decomposing-people-dying-on-Uttarakhand-death-trek/Article1-1080348.aspx