What's so good about the Ashes?

What's with the hype regarding the Ashes? It's made out to be the biggest and prestigious cricket tournament in the world but it's nothing more than a five test match series between a side ranked no. 2 and no. 4 and all they play for is an eleven cm urn.

j8Bc7eRTdWY

What's with the hype regarding the Ashes? It's made out to be the biggest and prestigious cricket tournament in the world but it's nothing more than a five test match series between a side ranked no. 2 and no. 4 and all they play for is an eleven cm urn.

j8Bc7eRTdWY

Its the most interesting series that involves inconsequential cricketing nations, along with the England-Saffers series. But apart from that, it is simply two cricketing nations who are irrelevant to cricket currently filling the gaps in the year when they dont have to serve India and Indian interests.

Too much hype yes its the oldest rivalry but they are not even 1 and 2 right now, it is for my money an over-hyped series, the English can call it the pinnacle, but to me it is just another bilateral series, to me the biggest series in Test Cricket is the one coming up later in the year the battle for number 1 us in South Africa.

Ok... lets suppose ... 5 Ashes test matches Eng vs Aus in England, at the same time same season Indo-Pak 3 or 5 tests in India. so which one of the series will get more revenue and commercials ???? i am talking about which series will get more crowd + revenue and commercials ????

Ok... lets suppose ... 5 Ashes test matches Eng vs Aus in England, at the same time same season Indo-Pak 3 or 5 tests in India. so which one of the series will get more revenue and commercials ???? i am talking about which series will get more crowd + revenue and commercials ????
revenue and commercials - indo-pak crowd - the ashes
Any series between India and someone else ( eg: India vs Bangladesh) will generate more revenue for any series not involving India ( eg: ashes). As for crowds- if its held in India, India will provide more crowds through the entire 5 days of test cricket than any other place as well.

To be honest, i don't think India pakistan series comes anywhere close to the ashes. India pak contests need off field tensions to generate major interest. If you remember rahul dravid talking about the need for context when it comes to one day matches, that is what the ashes has, historical context of more than a 100 years of cricket. After a few decades, border gavaskar trophy might come a little close to it, that is if they don't discontinue it. I am a big fan of the ashes. The 2005 ashes was second best series i have watched after the 2001 border gavaskar trophy. It might not be that much fun this time with the aussies being so weak.

history, tradition, and interest from their fans, and more importantly consistent in it's format and implementation. no other series besides the ODI World Cup comes close to the consistency to the Ashes. The second best cricket series after the World Cup. ICC have had golden opportunities to create the best cricket series in the world, the World Test Championship. The only Test series that can rival Ashes is India-Pakistan series, by having something like 3 T20s 3 ODIs 4 Tests every two years

Too much hype yes its the oldest rivalry but they are not even 1 and 2 right now' date=' it is for my money an over-hyped series, the English can call it the pinnacle, but to me it is just another bilateral series, to me the biggest series in Test Cricket is the one coming up later in the year the battle for number 1 us in South Africa.[/quote'] India will be battling for no.9 position with Bangladesh come next year. Another 8-0 beckons.