Munaf hurt by speculation over fitness

Feed

Munaf Patel, ignored for the Twenty20 team and dropped from the one-day squad, has expressed his hurt by the constant questioning of his fitness and lack of intensity. More... 'It's a question of my respect' Munaf hurt by speculation over fitness Cricinfo staff September 30, 2007 spacer.gif Munaf Patel, ignored for the Twenty20 team and dropped from the one-day squad, has expressed his hurt by the constant questioning of his fitness and lack of intensity. "I am not upset that I was dropped, because another player has got a chance. That's fine. I am just so angry with people who are saying the wrong things about me," Munaf told the Sunday Express. "Let somebody tell me to my face that my attitude is not right. "After earning a lot of money, you feel a bit numb about it, inside. That's when you realise that what's really important is your izzat, the respect. You don't get that with money, any amount of money. Cricket has given me the money, and the respect. But now, with all this talk of lack of fitness and intensity, it's a question of my izzat. And that's really hurting." Munaf did not play a single full Test on the South Africa tour. He then missed the four-ODI series against West Indies but returned in time for the World Cup before breaking down with a back injury in Bangladesh. He missed the Test series against England because of a back strain but was included in the one-day squad as a replacement for Sreesanth. Venkatesh Prasad, India's bowling coach, said he was "pretty happy" with Munaf's fitness but suggested that he wasn't bowling with the same intensity as earlier. Munaf said that he was reticent by nature and was a misunderstood man "What is this intensity? Talk to me, try to understand me ... The problem with me is that I speak very less. I speak only when I want to, and when I feel the need to. But what I say is straight from the heart. That's how I grew up in my village. That's my nature, what can I do about it? Munaf also sought to squash speculations about his reputation for dubious fitness. "See, the injury [in South Africa] was on the bone, and obviously, not visible. Who will understand that? The physio knows it, ask him. He has the X-rays, the MRI scans. I can't go around showing my X-rays to everybody who asks me. I know what that injury was all about, when I should play, when I shouldn't. Only me, nobody else. I never lie."

Also it wasn't fair that Prasad went to the press questioning Munaf's commitment. If he had any issues with Munaf's attitude he should sort it out with him one on one or discuss with team management. It is grossly wrong to say someone lacks attitude and commitment in public.

Come on Munaf' date='[b'] play a complete series for once without breaking down and everyone will start realizing you are prudent. I haven't seen him play through a single complete series so far.
And play it with "intensity" for heavensake. Else, you can crib as much as you want, but its gonna be :finger: Clock is ticking on you Munna Bhai...we need fiery bowling spells, not some gentle military medium. PS: And, oh by the way, it wont hurt if you can field a little, much less learn how to hold a bat at #11
Eh? What has been doing since? PS: Not to mention his one dimensional ability where he cannot field (crappiest ever fielder)
Fineleg, You first have to see which question was I answering. Ravi said that he was yet to see Munaf last a full series, to which I reminded him about the WI series. Now read what you have written, and see how out of place your comment is!
Munaf hurt by speculation over fitness:shades_smile:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
You forgot the WI series so quickly' date=' Ravi?[/quote']
Fineleg, You first have to see which question was I answering. Ravi said that he was yet to see Munaf last a full series, to which I reminded him about the WI series. Now read what you have written, and see how out of place your comment is!
Chandan, It is not really out of place. To me, you pointing the WI series to ravi was academic. What ravi said was a generalization, not meant to be an exact record book fact. Munna bhai rarely lasts a whole series - I think this would have been a more accurate statement, but neverthless that seemed to be the intent conveyed.

It's a question of my respect: Munaf Patel Experts and commentators have always had an opinion that his action and physique are so strong that he wont have much of the fitness problems...but from SA tour onwards he is facing fitness problems only...lets say that he has to work on his fitness and come back to share the spearhead attack with his controlled seam and good line-length bowling...say what! I hope, he will come back to the team pretty soon..:thumbs_up: Good luck to Munaf :two_thumbs_up: