V.Anand wins chess championship

talksport

The only unbeaten man in the 8 man world championship so far. Beat Morozevich with ease and then explained the moves to him. Before that, he's beaten Svidler, Aronian and Grischuk. He may have been the number one player, but he wasn't the reigning world champion, BTW. That's Vladmir Kramnik.

I Know, I Know , I know Not a Cricket Discussion.... It s not every day an Indian/ India wins in World Champion ship...Thats why I posted in the most active forum . He lives in Spain for main part of the year for logistics/convenience to participate in tournaments around Europe and preaparation with his seconds and Team. Kramnik also participated in this tournament (finished 3rd I guess ) and Anand gets to play a Match next Year.

After Team India, let's see what welcome I get: Anand ibnlive.com zero.gif290907vishwanathananad248.jpg THE HOMECOMING: Vishwanathan Anand says his friends from chess would certainly be there to welcome him. New Delhi: Team India at Twenty20 conquered the field in Johannesburg and came home to a hero’s welcome. Now, the country's long-standing ace sportsman Vishwanathan Anand is the new World Chess Champion. Will he receive a similar greeting when he returns to India at the end of October? When asked if he heard about the welcome given to the Twenty20 India cricket team in Mumbai, Anand told PTI, “Yes, I heard about it and it would be interesting to see what kind of reception I get when I come to India by the end of this month (October).” “But my friends from chess would certainly be there as always. Here, in Mexico, everyone understood the importance of this event,” PTI quoted him as saying. This year has been magical for the Grand Master not only winning the Lineras Super Grandmaster Chess tournament in March but also taking on the title of the number one chess player in the world. Anand has been in world's top-three for the last 15 years but it is the first time that he is officially rated No 1 in the FIDE rankings. In a career that has spread over 20 years, Anand has met many tough opponents but no one in particular stands out. He finished with an unbeaten 9 points after drawing with Hungary's Peter Leko in the 14th and final round of the World Chess Championship in Mexico. This is his second world title after 2000. Anand had drawn with Russia's Alexander Grischuk and was leading with 8.5 points after the 13th round. His nearest rivals Boris Gelfand of Israel and outgoing champion Vladimir Kramnik of Russia, both finished with 8 points. Gelfand drew with Russia's Alexander Morozevich while Kramnik beat Armenia's Levon Aronyan in the 14th round. zero.gif

V.Anand wins chess championship Team India at Twenty20 conquered the field in Johannesburg and came home to a hero’s welcome. Now, the country's long-standing ace sportsman Vishwanathan Anand is the new World Chess Champion. Will he receive a similar greeting when he returns to India at the end of October? When asked if he heard about the welcome given to the Twenty20 India cricket team in Mumbai, Anand told PTI, “Yes, I heard about it and it would be interesting to see what kind of reception I get when I come to India by the end of this month (October).†“But my friends from chess would certainly be there as always. Here, in Mexico, everyone understood the importance of this event,†PTI quoted him as saying. This year has been magical for the Grand Master not only winning the Lineras Super Grandmaster Chess tournament in March but also taking on the title of the number one chess player in the world. Anand has been in world's top-three for the last 15 years but it is the first time that he is officially rated No 1 in the FIDE rankings. In a career that has spread over 20 years, Anand has met many tough opponents but no one in particular stands out. He finished with an unbeaten 9 points after drawing with Hungary's Peter Leko in the 14th and final round of the World Chess Championship in Mexico. This is his second world title after 2000. Anand had drawn with Russia's Alexander Grischuk and was leading with 8.5 points after the 13th round. His nearest rivals Boris Gelfand of Israel and outgoing champion Vladimir Kramnik of Russia, both finished with 8 points. Gelfand drew with Russia's Alexander Morozevich while Kramnik beat Armenia's Levon Aronyan in the 14th round.

This was long overdue considering how Vishy has dominated world chess in the last 7-8 years, but it was Kramnik who was recognised as the World number 1. As far as the reception goes I dont think anyone other than his media and some news reporters would turn up. BTW do any of you play chess on Yahoo?

RankNameTitleCountryRatingGamesB-Year 1 Anand, Viswanathan g IND 2801 21 1969 2 Ivanchuk, Vassily g UKR 2787 20 1969 3 Kramnik, Vladimir g RUS 2785 21 1975 4 Topalov, Veselin g BUL 2769 0 1975 5 Leko, Peter g HUN 2755 21 1979 6 Morozevich, Alexander g RUS 2755 19 1977 7 Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar g AZE 2752 11 1985 8 Radjabov, Teimour g AZE 2742 9 1987 9 Aronian, Levon g ARM 2741 14 1982 10 Shirov, Alexei g ESP 2739 11 1972