wish me luck... i m going to try out for our university's team

THX_1138

We have a intramural game coming up. the first time the university is permitting us use of proper grounds for a cricket match between an India 11 and a Pakistan 11. i will be trying out as a fast bowler this coming saturday. and on that note, i just got done watching the all blacks maul romania. wonder if our indian team ought to greet the aussies with haka this coming game. if you dont know what the haka is, check this out: [ame=

- the haka!![/ame]= its a war dance of the mouri of new zealand and is for all practical means an announcement by the new zealand all blacks: prepare to lose. infact, the few occassions the opposition has tried to snub the all blacks by turning their backs to the haka, the all blacks have beat them by record margins.
holy freakaroni... i just checked out video from your first post.. that HAKA thing is crazy.... n scary.. those black caps do these at the beginning of every match or wat/??
yeah veer (they are called all blacks actually), and its a mouri war dance that they have been performing prior to every rugby game since times immemorial. lately, for the past two decades or so, they have rehearsed it and made its a ritual of sorts and for the sheer effect of intimidating the opposition. i saw rockosoko (one of their exception guards) while doing the haka in the romania versus new zealand game this past week and his eyes were sheer intense wraith! of course, the all blacks pulverized romania 86-5.

LURKER! need help. the trails are this next month: first week of november. i need to pack some more muscle around my shoulders. need some help. right now i am doing pull downs with reverse grip and broad grip. about a 100 push ups and free weights. what else can i do? and yeah i need a more flexible rotator cuff and need to strengthen my back too. (any nutritional advise you give, please keep in mind i am a vegetarian and i abstain from eggs too but i do get my daily 100gms of protein apart from the meals through whey protein shakes).

LURKER! need help. the trails are this next month: first week of november. i need to pack some more muscle around my shoulders. need some help. right now i am doing pull downs with reverse grip and broad grip. about a 100 push ups and free weights. what else can i do? and yeah i need a more flexible rotator cuff and need to strengthen my back too. (any nutritional advise you give, please keep in mind i am a vegetarian and i abstain from eggs too but i do get my daily 100gms of protein apart from the meals through whey protein shakes).
Hey THX! First up good luck towards the trying out. I am sure you would ace it away. Just be brutally aggressive and have fun out there! Lets take a look at your shoulder issue now. The exercises you mentioned are all great, more so because they are all free-weights. From what I could make out you are indirectly working your shoulder muscles. The best shoulder exercises, specially ones that work for me, are in the following order: 1) Overhead Military press(you can use a barbell or a dumbell). Essentially you sit on a bench(would help if you had a Smith's machine at your gym), or you could do it standing up too. Then lift the weight from your eye-brow level to the very top. Dont come further than your nose or else you wil bring in your triceps to work. football_strength_training_military.gif This is the meat-potatoes of all shoulder exercises. Start slow. The shoulders get worked whenever you work back, chest or biceps so if you dont lift heavy no problems, just make sure you maintain a good form. 2) Shoulder lateral raise: This would give the canon-ball look to your shoulders. Just start with dumbbells on your side and go straight up the side. Form is the key as most people swing their body to ensure heavy lift. Start with 10-15 pounds and go for 12-15 reps, of course if you can go further so much the better. 06dumbbelllateralraise2.jpg 3) Shrugs: Simple but very effective exercise for the trapezius muslces(one right behind yoir neck and it ties in your back and shoulders). Use an overhand grip to grip a barbell at shoulder width and using the form shown below hoist it upwards. You can also use dumbbells. traps-exercises-barbell-shrugs.gif All these exercises should work your front, medial and overall shoulders. There are more variations of course but start from this and I can help you with more hardcore down the line. Nutrition: Since you dont take meat you will have to be careful with your nutrition. For starters you have to eat 6 meals a day. Maybe you already do. But if you dont up it. You mentioned Whey Proteins, they are great. Look around and see if you can find Casein Proteins..they are slow digesting and will help you stop losing muscles when you are between meals. Here is what I would do: 1) 3 solid meals. Since you dont eat eggs/meat go heavy on cottage cheese, yogurt, Fat Free milk, soy product(specially tofu) that are rich in protein. Also I am not sure whats your bodyweight(and height). Let me know if you can(or PM me) so I can watch you not eat too much fat. 2) Have 3 whey shakes a day. Dont just have whey protein shake. Mix a spoonful of Peanut Butter(Almond or Macademia Butter are the best but they are costly and am not sure if you can even find them there..but if you can then go for them). Whey with peanut butter(or almond) shall ensure your body gets slow releasing protein. 3) Casein Protein shake. Take one before you hit the bed. This shall give you nutrients while you sleep. I personally recommend BCAA's, they can easily make the difference. But again if you want to avoid supplements then go strictly with diet and exercise as I mentioned. Also I did not mention Creatine as it is derived from Animals and so maybe you wouldnt want it. Let me know if you need further info mate! xxx