I wish Will Hutton would write a book on India

gorah_pindu

Oke KR' date=' GP are these books availbale in India , u know the cheap paper-back version.......[/quote'] If you are interested in reading books, check this website out. http://www.paperbackswap.com/ You can become a member and share books of all kinds, on the web. Just pay for S&H. You should have some books that you can lend others as well. Just a FYI.

Guest dada_rocks
If you are interested in reading books, check this website out. http://www.paperbackswap.com/ You can become a member and share books of all kinds, on the web. Just pay for S&H. You should have some books that you can lend others as well. Just a FYI.
cool guru:thumbs_up:

Oke KR' date=' GP are these books availbale in India , u know the cheap paper-back version.......[/quote'] DR , since you are visiting India , try to get books from vendors who sell pirated version for dirt cheap price. I buy books from street hawkers all the time. At least Bombay and Bangalore has large number of these hawkers. I am sure Patna or other cities will have it's share.

DR ' date=' since you are visiting India , try to get books from vendors who sell pirated version for dirt cheap price. I buy books from street hawkers all the time. At least Bombay and Bangalore has large number of these hawkers. I am sure Patna or other cities will have it's share.[/quote'] Yes there is. DR walk around that Gandhi Maidan area..or past it towards Patna College/Ashok Rajpath you will get it. One more thing you can try is to buy Vernacular books. English books you can get online in Canada as well, albeit at a higher price, but no way you can get a Hindi book(trust me I have been banging my head for these). Look up Neem ka Ped, Adha Gaon by Rahi Masoon Reza or any of Dinkar/Nirala/Bacchan/Manto/Bedi etc. xxx

Its important to note that the guy who wrote this book places greater emphasis on institutions and public spending than Friedman does in The World is Flat - Tom F seems content to let market forces do everything, i.e. laize-faire, but Hutton makes a compelling case for well managed public spending and institutions. Thats whats important about this book - it argues for a more mixed economy like in Scandanavia, and says that India should most certainly not abandon institutions. Im no economic expert, but I would say reading these three books, in the following order, would give people a good picture of how India can become developed, and the state of the world in general: - The World is Flat - The Writing on the Wall - The Argumentative Indian

DR ' date=' since you are visiting India , try to get books from vendors who sell pirated version for dirt cheap price. I buy books from street hawkers all the time. At least Bombay and Bangalore has large number of these hawkers. I am sure Patna or other cities will have it's share.[/quote'] Ya. Churchgate:two_thumbs_up:

Guest dada_rocks
Yes there is. DR walk around that Gandhi Maidan area..or past it towards Patna College/Ashok Rajpath you will get it. One more thing you can try is to buy Vernacular books. English books you can get online in Canada as well, albeit at a higher price, but no way you can get a Hindi book(trust me I have been banging my head for these). Look up Neem ka Ped, Adha Gaon by Rahi Masoon Reza or any of Dinkar/Nirala/Bacchan/Manto/Bedi etc. xxx
Ye varnacualr books mostly main parh chuka hun.. Manto ki nahin parhi hai jyada.. Hindi and sanskrit books ki to library hai mere bapuji ke room mein back home.. He is so particular about his books upkeep that he keeps them litrally locked noone can have access to them except of course I, so no worries on vernacular books front.....