Great Batting On An Ordinary Pitch

Dhondy

From two extremely gifted and resolute batsmen today- Jacques Kallis and Younis Khan. Two contrasting innings- one an epitome of grit and graft, and the other an outrageous rally against the dying of the light, both had connoisseurs licking their chops. I have long felt that these were two of the most underrated batsmen in the world. Kallis' cover drive leaves me drooling for more. Younis Khan's composure when all else is falling around him is exemplary. He also has the most impressive record among the Pakistanis away from home, particularly on bouncy or seaming tracks...always it would seem, with a smile on his face, even in the face of provocation. I do admire his sang-froid. Look at how they scored their runs today. Kallis ------------Bowler-------Balls Faced---Runs----SR --------------Gul-------------------25------13-------52 --------------Rehman -------------91------47------52 --------------Kaneria -------------70------35-------50 --------------Hafeez--------------15--------5-------30 Younis ------------Bowler-------Balls Faced---Runs----SR --------------Ntini--------------10-----------10-------52 --------------Steyn------------41-----------34-------52 --------------Nel---------------23-----------21-------50 --------------Harris------------18------------8-------30 --------------Smith--------------7------------20-------286 Kallis, as he has shown in the past, is extremely good against spin, even on crumblers, blessed with the immense virtue of playing the ball late and usually off the back foot. He also has one of the steeliest temparament in world cricket- absolutely unflappable. Younis scored 93 off 96 deliveries- stunning on this low, slow pitch that's not exactly conducive to stroke-play. As the table shows, he didn't spare any bowler, but absolutely destroyed any pretensions Graeme Smith might have had to bowling. Remember, this in the 4th innings of the match, with Pakistan staring down the barrel. They might not make it to fireside discussions when cricket lovers discuss the best in the world, but there's no doubt in my mind that if I were to choose two batsmen to fight for my life, these two would be very high on my list.

I can't praise Kallis enough. It's a shame he doesn't get his due - for me , he is up there on a plane of batsmen just below the Tendulkars and Pontings. Stunningly consistent in all conditions against all attacks, whether he bats on a greentop at Centurion or a dustbowl at Eden Gardens. The man is a master, and deserves far more than the vitriol he's gotten from so many for being slow and one-paced at times. Nearing 9000 runs, an average of 56+ in tests and 26 test tons now. Just a staggering record, and he's not yet 32. Here's hoping he breaks through a few records soon and gets his due. Younis is also a superb batsman, although for me not on the Kallis plane with his weaker record in many conditions, but another who hasn't received the due his talent deserves. I expect that with Inzamam retiring soon, he'll suddenly earn a lot more respect both from opposition and his own fans.

I can't praise Kallis enough. It's a shame he doesn't get his due - for me , he is up there on a plane of batsmen just below the Tendulkars and Pontings. Stunningly consistent in all conditions against all attacks, whether he bats on a greentop at Centurion or a dustbowl at Eden Gardens. The man is a master, and deserves far more than the vitriol he's gotten from so many for being slow and one-paced at times. Nearing 9000 runs, an average of 56+ in tests and 26 test tons now. Just a staggering record, and he's not yet 32. Here's hoping he breaks through a few records soon and gets his due. Younis is also a superb batsman, although for me not on the Kallis plane with his weaker record in many conditions, but another who hasn't received the due his talent deserves. I expect that with Inzamam retiring soon, he'll suddenly earn a lot more respect both from opposition and his own fans.
Younis is class, but Kallis is on another plane. I don't think you'll have too many people arguing against that.

I like YK because he seems to do everything with a smile on his face and plays cricket in the fashion the old fogies meant it to be played. (of course his attitude whilst playing football leaves much to be desired :laugh:). He also comes across as quite a fearless bat. One who rides his luck and refuses to let the pressure or the situation get to him. I've seen him time and again slash the ball hard(which is quite a risky stroke when you are 4-5 down) over the slips/point/gully. It is probably because of this attitude that Pak can entertain thoughts of a victory and it's because of this attitude that they managed to beat RSA in the 2nd test earlier this year(Pak were chasing around 190 and were 90/5. YK refused to knuckle down and graft and instead let his blade flash)

Kallis is probably the best off-side batsman in the world today. If only he can control that twirl of the bat when he flicks to square leg, he will look more aesthetic with his leg-side shots too
You mean Saurav Ganguly is not? :D I agree that the people who truly stand the test of time on difficult to bat pitches are the best batsmen. In no special order... Dravid, Gavaskar, Tendulkar, G.Vishwanath etc from India for example Many others world over