Gambhir has signed for Essex for the English county season

StriKe

Aakash Chopra ‏@cricketaakash 2m Gambhir has signed Essex for the remainder of English county season...delighted to know that BCCI has given him a go ahead. #rightmove
:two_thumbs_up:
Freddie Wilde ‏@fwildecricket 11m Gautam Gambhir has signed for Essex for the remainder of the season. He is not available for Finals Day. #LVCC #YB40
Freddie Wilde ‏@fwildecricket 11m That's a good move by him, but it's interesting that the BCCI have allowed him to play in England. #LVCC #YB40
i dont know why people are surprised last season Bhajji played for Essex. BCCI dont mind players playing test or 40 over cricket. 20 over cricket is a strict no no.
Errm even before the advent of T20 BCCI wouldn't allow Indian cricketers to play abroad. There are MANY players who would've benefited from being allowed to play in England, but they were never given the opportunity by BCCI, who made sure to stop any move
Errm even before the advent of T20 BCCI wouldn't allow Indian cricketers to play abroad. There are MANY players who would've benefited from being allowed to play in England, but they were never given the opportunity by BCCI, who made sure to stop any move
it depended from case to case. i am not saying that BCCI allows everybody to play. But players like Murali Kartick have been given NOCs for a long duration. Only hitch in terms of county cricket in recent times was VVS Laxman. The likes of Sachin Ganguly Zaheer Bhajji Yuvraj Singh have played in county cricket. While Dravid has played for Ireland in the 40 over comp. Zaheer was a hit. Ganguly and Yuvi flopped.
it depended from case to case. i am not saying that BCCI allows everybody to play. But players like Murali Kartick have been given NOCs for a long duration. Only hitch in terms of county cricket in recent times was VVS Laxman. The likes of Sachin Ganguly Zaheer Bhajji Yuvraj Singh have played in county cricket. While Dravid has played for Ireland in the 40 over comp. Zaheer was a hit. Ganguly and Yuvi flopped.
In recent years only players out of favour with selectors have been given NOC. Murali Karthis is permanently out of favour, so he is an exception to the rule. Only Zaheer, Harabhajan & now possibly Gambhir have been given NOCs in recent years. I guess it also depends on players, Yuvraj could have so easily played county this season after IPL given he wasn't playing any ODI / Tests for India.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, Dravid played for Scotland, din't he?