'My fitness has let me down' - Zaheer

152395.jpg

"Everybody wants to represent the country. If I am fit and can meet the demands, things should fall in place," Zaheer told DNA on his return from a fitness-training stint in France. "My fitness has let me down and I have been working on it. My next big test would be the domestic season, the Ranji Trophy. I want to get back into the Indian team." Zaheer was dropped from the Test team in December last year, during the home series against England that India lost. His last limited-overs international was in October 2012. He played a couple of Ranji games for Mumbai after being ignored for the final Test against England, but then picked up a calf injury that forced him out of the knockout stages of the tournament and the Irani Cup. He was out of action for over four months, before returning to competitive cricket in the final stages of the IPL. While he was injured during the Australia Tests in February, he was unlikely to be picked for the matches on form, as India blooded several young players and went on to sweep Australia 4-0. Zaheer said the competition for places in the Test XI would only benefit Indian cricket. "Competition only helps you do your best. There is no threat. Youngsters doing well is a good sign for Indian cricket. And if the seniors do the same, then you become a champion side." Allrounder Yuvraj Singh, who had also trained in France with Zaheer after being sidelined from the Indian team, said the seniors should not be forgotten though. Speaking to the media on his return from France, Yuvraj said: "I am very happy with the way the youngsters have been performing. But it is the balance of seniors and youngsters that makes a team strong. "With or without me, India should select the best XI. [but] I believe that a team should be a blend of youth and experience. I am not saying that past success should be taken into account while selecting a present team but one shouldn't forget what we have achieved for the country."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/664923.html

Stop giving excuses Zaheer. If somebody like Akhtar or Bond blame their fitness then it is acceptable because they always worked hard on regain fitness when they were playing. Zaheer had a poor work ethic when playing and never really worked on off field training. He had time for IPL parties and catwalks on ramps and hang out in SA pubs but not for putting in hard yards or for domestic cricket. This is first time I have seen Zaheer to work hard and already he is complaining because now he had competition. Zaheer is a poor role model for young Ind fast bowlers.

Stop giving excuses Zaheer. If somebody like Akhtar or Bond blame their fitness then it is acceptable because they always worked hard on regain fitness when they were playing. Zaheer had a poor work ethic when playing and never really worked on off field training. He had time for IPL parties and catwalks on ramps and hang out in SA pubs but not for putting in hard yards or for domestic cricket. This is first time I have seen Zaheer to work hard and already he is complaining because now he had competition. Zaheer is a poor role model for young Ind fast bowlers.
:WTF: Where is he giving excuses? :dontknow: He's accepted that his fitness was not up to the mark and that competition is good for the team. If anything, dropped players should take a note on Zaheer's remarks. Not once has Zaheer winced in the last 10 months or so after being dropped.