Congrats ! India's FIRST ODI win over the Aussies in OVER 3 YEARS !

varun

Got to love some Indian fans. When decisions go against India, they keep quiet lest they are branded whingers/moaners. After all, everything evens out, doesn't it? But when decisions go in favour of us for a change, they underplay our victory and are almost apologetic about it.

Guest HariSampath
There is a reason ... but I suspect you wouldnt like to hear that.....
There is a reason why I didn't like that because I would rather have it Sachin being called a failure and not as a cheat. I am sure Sachin himself wouldn't want to have that particular blot on his page, and even he wouldn't justify it with the rub of the green theory. Apart from the fact genuine wellwishers of Sachin wont want him to carry that tag, on the game front itself, it takes away from the player's confidence. In fact I have a very strong feeling Sachin was unable to carry on and attempt strokeplay today becaouse his own confidence had been lowered as he knew he was dismissted a couple of times...sometimes for very good cricketers this acts as a serious mental block when they know they are not in the middle still due to their ability, but because of other things, somewhat similar to having 3 sitters floored and the batsman would feel he is not at all playing well, and usually slogs and gets out. I may not have your agreement nor do I need it, but knowing the Sachin of 18 years, I know he will certainly be thinking about this , and not disagreeing with me on this point, as I am sure several sachin fans and other cricket fans here too would agree with me.
one of the games in VB series 03-04 :giggle:
Looking back at it now, India should have won all three of their opening matches vs AUS, rather than just that one at Brisbane. At Melbourne, India looked set to chase down the 289 set by AUS until Ganguly foolishly got himself run out. India fell short by a handful of runs. At Sydney, Yuvraj and Laxman demolished Australia's bowlers after those early wickets and even after the target was reset, they had it in the bag. With 7 runs needed off 3 in the last over Balaji p*ssed it away, getting hit for six by Lee. Similar stories at Kuala Lumpur last year. I gt the impression that Indian cricketers play against Australia's reputation rather than their players.
Guest HariSampath
ohh puhleaaaase can you get any more pathetic ! SRT stopped walking way back .... this was after the Darrell Hairs , the Bucknors , The Bowdens the Hairs the Rudis and that Srilankan SOD whathisnae .... screwed him about a good 10-15 times .... Now you call yourself a "True" SRT fan and well wisher... what has been your contribution to stop those muggings ? Where were you when that happened ... ? Why are you now baulking at the ONE time in Eons that SRT gets on the right side of a umpiring muck up. and if Not walking = Cheat the entire bloody Aussie team and their predecessors are guilty of that ... Dont give me the "Who cares what they do" line .... this is not a morality contest .... We are there to win and we are more than entitled to do it just as the others do it. There is no place for Gandhigiri on the pitch.... infact the ugly ones dont subscribe to it ... You may want to have this discussion with a few aussies and the umpires and see how far your theory of morality goes.
The greatest Australian cricketer ever , Sir Donald Bradman had said after an Ashes test match incident. " I always walked if I knew it was out as I never ever wanted the opposition to think I depend on anyone's charity or my own dishonesty to succeeed, something I could always achieve with my cricketing skills on which alone I preferred to rely and moreover wanted my opposition to know this fact. That is why I did not walk when Ikin claimed the catch behind because I had hit the ball just before it hit the ground, and it was a bump ball that Ikin held although only I could have known it. The umpire sensed it and rightly ruled me notout" Don't think you can argue with such an authority on cricket , my friend, as it has all the answers you ask for, and apply equally true to all eras for its firm common sense.
The greatest Australian cricketer ever , Sir Donald Bradman had said after an Ashes test match incident. " I always walked if I knew it was out as I never ever wanted the opposition to think I depend on anyone's charity or my own dishonesty to succeeed, something I could always achieve with my cricketing skills on which alone I preferred to rely and moreover wanted my opposition to know this fact. That is why I did not walk when Ikin claimed the catch behind because I had hit the ball just before it hit the ground, and it was a bump ball that Ikin held although only I could have known it. The umpire sensed it and rightly ruled me notout" Don't think you can argue with such an authority on cricket , my friend, as it has all the answers you ask for, and apply equally true to all eras for its firm common sense.
LOL
Guest HariSampath
Will follow that so called great Australian right after his own countrymen start walking ... you can keep that high morality nonsense to yourselves ... Anybody reading that would think the bloody aussies walk even on LBW's .... give me a break .. who are you trying to kid.:omg_smile: BTW take a guess who invented this phrase : "we walk only when our car dies on the road"
Walking is obviously with ref to non LBW decisions, and to demonstrate with clarity why your much hated "morality", and "gandhigiri" make much cricketing sense. Ask any first class cricketer what he will prfer when he goes in to play against an opposition 1. The fact he got a brilliant 40 runs in the previous game and was given a horrible decision by the umpire.... or 2. He got a sketchy hundred the previous game, being given notout 3 times, and 2 catches too dropped For the sake of the mental war, the psychological point of view as well as self confidence 10 out of 10 will choose the former as it will enable them to look the bowlers and fielders in the eye and convey " like hell you can get me, not without the umpire, between you and me, I rule".... and not allow the opposition the same mental position and allow them to convey to you, " ok, so the umpire was your uncle , yesterday, what about slugging out just you and me mate ? "...... get the picture..... I have been in the middle, done it, and this is what I feel.... NOT merely the moral view point, which is another story
Thanks for sharing that Hari. :thumbs_up: While I fundamentally agree with principle of walking(I also agree with using good old umpires over tehcnology) I also realize that times have changed. It is no more the romantic era of 50s and 60s were cricket was a game. Today it is lot more than that. Ultimately walking is left to a man. Yes of course I would want SRT to be the moralistic cricketer who walked when he nicked but if he doesnt then I can understand that as well. xxx
Guest HariSampath
Going by that theory aussies should be the most mentally fragile cricketers that there ever were .... do you see the hilarity in your theory .... what parallel world do you live in boss ? And going by the obvious extension of your theory the Umpires should be the most wretched people out there because there is not a single match where they screw up big time. Here's how I look at it ... we (most Indian captains , senior players and management) have done our best in convincing the ICC to use technology in the interst of fair play and level playing field .... if the ICC and especially the aussies keep playing dumb ... I have no reason to feel guilty. Your own rules your own facked up umpires your own decisions why should I screw my career. Sorry the morality highway isnt a one-way street ... needs to cut bnoth ways ....
Look..there are very pracical cricketing reasons too, just ignore the morality for a fleeting moment as you seem to be no great fan of honesty...Take Gilly's case.. a worldwide well known walking crusader. In case in some game Gilly is really close to edging and there is a small noise too, and the bat had hit the pad say, and if Gilly stands, he will have credibility with umpires and small margins of doubts will make international umpires to ruloe correctly in Gilly's favor bcos of his well known reputation as a walker. So in the long term scheme of things , not taking bad decisions alone, but more practically very many doubtful situations too, Gilly will gain gibtime and run a low risk of a bad decision going against him , as long as he is honest and known to be a walker. But the moment International umpires know that "this fellow X, Y or Z, is known to stand his ground even if he knows he hit the ball, "...the long term probablities act against such a player for being ruled out by umpires in different parts of the world when genuinely notout too....get it ??? Add to this the number of the non walking decisions like LBWs where batsmen routinely hold up a bat to show the had bat on ball.... known honest cricketers get benefit of being believed, and known "non walkers" will be ignored even if they had bat on ball and indicate to umpires that, or sometimes indicate the ball rubbing shirt sleeves or arm guard on the way behind. From all points, what I say makes plain smartness, as well as being straightforward.... and I have not even gone into cricketing pride issues and other "moral" issues..... CLEAR ??
Guest HariSampath
Thanks for sharing that Hari. :thumbs_up: While I fundamentally agree with principle of walking(I also agree with using good old umpires over tehcnology) I also realize that times have changed. It is no more the romantic era of 50s and 60s were cricket was a game. Today it is lot more than that. Ultimately walking is left to a man. Yes of course I would want SRT to be the moralistic cricketer who walked when he nicked but if he doesnt then I can understand that as well. xxx
Welcome... there is another incredible statement about the Don ( Fingleton... if I remember correctly) " The Don had this absolutely incredible habit of tuning his game based on his confidence in the umpire. If he did not believe in the ability of any umpire, he used to completely cut out totally certain strokes that may give the umpire the opportunity to rule him out mistakenly, like the cross flick to leg or a late cut, and complete double tons without these strokes,as he never wanted to give his wicket away if he could help it" LOL that was the Don too :D
Welcome... there is another incredible statement about the Don ( Fingleton... if I remember correctly) " The Don had this absolutely incredible habit of tuning his game based on his confidence in the umpire. If he did not believe in the ability of any umpire, he used to completely cut out totally certain strokes that may give the umpire the opportunity to rule him out mistakenly, like the cross flick to leg or a late cut, and complete double tons without these strokes,as he never wanted to give his wicket away if he could help it" LOL that was the Don too :D
yeah this is how great players approach the game.. thts y i was so pissed off when sachin padded a ball frm collingwood which is outside the off stump and got ruled out by taufel when was on 90+... I mean why do u have to give the umpire a chance of ruling u out when u cud have easily avoided tht..