Abdul Qadir was better than Warne...

Sooda

says Kamran Abbasi Qadir was the best of the lot Call me a heretic, Shane Warne was a true great but Abdul Qadir was better. I say this for several reasons. 1. Warne was barely able to bowl a googly, Qadir had several. 2. Umpires have become much more sympathetic towards legspinners over the last decade or so. Qadir had some of the plumbest decisions turned down for no better reason than the ball "might" spin. That rarely happens now and it makes the batsman's approach less sure and stay more uncomfortable. 3. Qadir had to battle the madness of Pakistan's cricket system and if Imran Khan had not supported him he might have been lost. Warne had the smartest cricket board behind him. 4. Warne played for the premier team of his age. Qadir began when Pakistan were nowhere and ended with Pakistan battling for the top spot. 5. Qadir had to bowl at the world's strongest batting team (West Indies), with great success too. Warne never had to. 6. Warne usually bowled with the luxury of a big score behind his team. Qadir was more often bowling under the pressure of a low score. 7. Warne had always been part of a powerful bowling attack. For most of Qadir's career it was him and Imran and much cannon fodder. 8. Global cricket coverage made today's stars more prominent than even the stars of the 80s. Many of Qadir's dazzling performances were never seen in England and Australia, the countries that dominate cricket writing and coverage. 9. Scyld Berry, the incoming editor of Wisden Almanack: "It is impossible to believe that wrist-spin has ever been bowled better than Qadir did in his home city of Lahore in 1987-88, when he took 9 for 56 against England." 10. More from Scyld: "Graham Gooch, who faced him that day, said Qadir was even finer than Shane Warne, to whom he passed on the candle." Gooch faced both bowlers in their prime. Thank you Shane but let's not forget Abdul the Googly.

Re: Abdul Qadir was better than Warne... i only watched A Qadir when he was at the end of his career but what i hear from most fans is that A Qadir was a better artist while Warne was a better bowler. Recently Gary Sobers called Gupte as the greatest leg spinner ever to play the game so i guess not every body rates Warne as the best.

Re: Abdul Qadir was better than Warne... This is where writers like Kamran Abbasi are seriously exposed. With the advent of internet, cricket(for that matter any game) experts are found dime-a-dozen. I would have liked to see in what way was Qadir better, in terms of his bowling repertoire and less of rhetoric. Qadir was certainly a class act. Indian fans do not rate him much(just like we do not rate Warne much) for the simple reason that he(they) did not do great against India. Kapil Dev(and according to some Mohinder Amarnath as well) would shout "googles" while smashing Qadir for fours and sixes, everytime Qadir bowled a googly. Mind you the same googly had many a class batsmen around the world in great problems. Abdul Qadir mastery was that of an attacking leg-spinner with a bigger range of deliveries than Shane Warne has. At the same time Qadir would bleed runs, he was a bit like Stuart McGill, he would have a hit-me ball every over or so. However Warne is, rather was, an attacking bowler who would tie you in knots and suffocate you so much with his accuracy and huge turns that in the end batsmen would surrender. Between the two Warne has a better record over a longer period of time and in a wider range of countries. I shall pick Warne over Qadir but Qadir would surely be in my top 3 leg-spinners I have seen play. xxxx