An ODI Century beckons Robin Uthappa

Uthappa has played vital knocks in his 17 ODI matches but a hundred has evaded him so far. Now that he is pushed down as an utliity player will he ever score a century? Uthappa never scored a century but he has contributed several times to an Indian win. To hit the record books like Tendulkar and Gangully he may have to be slightly selfish...and forget about his strike rate!

Uh ... dont know what you are talking about. He has been given numerous chances to open the batting or come in at no.3 and didnt quite capitalise on his starts. He was the first choice opener for the world cup, but has proven to be more useful in the middle order. He will open the batting eventually. Remember he is only 22. He is doing well in the middle order as a finisher at the moment. Remember Sachin toiled away for 5 years in the middle order before he made his first ODI century. Uthappa is a good player and will get that elusive century soon. The way Sachin and Ganguly batted is not selfish because that is the way India have historically built up big totals ... the openers set a platform (which was still at 4.5 run rate) and the finishers accelerate the score to push it up to near 300 or above. That was even the plan during the T20 but you did not notice it as much because the game was shorter. It has proved to be our best plan.

I think Uthappa has done wonderfully well in whatever limited opportunities he has had so far. You can't expect Uthappa to bat like Tendulkar or Rahul. It's grossly unfair for him to be compared to them but he has made his own mark in this team often scoring brisk match winning cameos. I think he's here to stay. Unlike say Kair or Raina this bloke doesn't alter his game plan whatever the situation. I think he has plenty of self confidence and hitting Brett Lee consistently over the head is not a feat that easy.

Uthappa has played vital knocks in his 17 ODI matches but a hundred has evaded him so far. Now that he is pushed down as an utliity player will he ever score a century? Uthappa never scored a century but he has contributed several times to an Indian win. To hit the record books like Tendulkar and Gangully he may have to be slightly selfish...and forget about his strike rate!
Robin Uthappa is a awesome attacking batsman....very ideal in 'power plays' or in 'death' overs....fearless and exciting player indeed!!!:two_thumbs_up:
What's this thread really about HC ? :D
Guest Hiten.
Not really mate. Look at Tendulkar's average and strike rate in ODI's. In (~) 400 ODI's, the man has a strike rate of 86. So my point is, if you got skills you can achieve your personal milestones by simply using your skills :eyedance:
Guest Hiten.
how can he score a century when he comes to bat so late in the Indian batting line up.. in his debut game i remember he got to open, and he score 90 odd.. les just wait.. he is doing great rite now also wherever he's batting..
86 to be precise.... lekin saala got out like a retard and i hated him for that :angry_smile:
Who cares if he scores a century or not? if he can contirbute to the team then he is in.
Well said. Landmarks like 100s and 50s are meaningless, and we fans need to put less value on them. If he scores a 30 in 18 balls every time and stays not out half the time, he'll average 60 with an SR of 167. I'll take that any day.
how can he score a century when he comes to bat so late in the Indian batting line up.. in his debut game i remember he got to open, and he score 90 odd.. les just wait.. he is doing great rite now also wherever he's batting..
huh?? haven't you heard of the great indian batting collapse. he'll get plenty of chances even at number 6