Waqar resigns as bowling coach

King

Fast bowler unhappy with PCB Waqar resigns as bowling coach Cricinfo staff January 6, 2007 Waqar Younis will not be doing this for Pakistan anytime soon ? Getty Images Waqar Younis has resigned from his position as bowling coach of the Pakistan side with immediate effect, days before the start of an important three-Test and five-ODI series against South Africa. Waqar returned from performing Hajj in Saudi Arabia to Lahore and told Nasim Ashraf, the PCB chairman, of his decision. Appointed to the position in March last year, before Pakistan's tour to Sri Lanka, he is thought to be unhappy with the PCB's decision to retain him only for the Test series against South Africa and not the subsequent series of five ODIs. Speaking to local TV channels, he criticised the board. "If I am not needed for the ODIs then I don't want to do the job. The board doesn't look respect its ex-players properly." A PCB official confirmed the news, telling Cricinfo, "Waqar spoke to the chairman and told him he wanted to be appointed for the full tour." He added, "He offered to resign if he wasn't retained for the whole series and the chairman accepted." Another official made the ambiguous assertion to TV channels that this was a decision for the team management and the board could not get involved. Whether or not the reappointment of Mushtaq Ahmed, the former Pakistan legspinner, as assistant coach to Bob Woolmer is a factor is open to question. Last week, Mushtaq was reinstated for the entire tour to South Africa as well as the World Cup shortly after, barely three months after Nasim Ashraf removed him, days before the Champions Trophy. Waqar also expressed, as recently as September, an interest in a coaching position at New South Wales, Australia. The interest appears mutual, as Dave Gilbert, NSW's chief executive, has already said that he wants Waqar to replace Anthony Stuart, who has left to take charge of Wellington in New Zealand. Waqar responded at the time, "It would be great to work full-time in NSW. I am very much interested in the job. When I finish my contract with Pakistan I will speak to David [Gilbert]." That scenario would be an attractive one for Waqar, as it would provide him the opportunity to return to Australia, where he is otherwise based with his family. Speculation will almost certainly filter through over the next few days, but it is worth noting that the first time the PCB officially considered appointing Waqar as bowling coach, there also resulted considerable friction. Nearly two years ago as Pakistan prepared to tour India, Waqar was in negotiations with the board for the job. But it ended in considerable acrimony, Waqar walking away disgruntled at not being offered the long-term role he envisioned, the PCB instead insisting on a series appointment only. Waqar, 35, is one of Pakistan's most successful bowlers ever, famed for reverse swing and his partnership with Wasim Akram, and one of the prime reasons for Pakistan's success during the nineties. With 789 international wickets, Waqar is second only to Akram as Pakistan's leading all-time wicket-taker in Tests and ODIs. He was a less successful captain, overseeing a shambolic 3-0 series defeat to Australia in 2002-03 and a disastrous 2003 World Cup campaign. He was removed immediately after and announced his retirement in 2004.

Re: Waqar resigns as bowling coach Why is there so much drama in Pakistan cricket in pretty much every series? I can't quite understand why these guys take up positions and resign whenever they like. Both the PCB and the past players are at loggerheads most of the times. Best is Wasim Akram, gets involved with the commentary team for Indian games and reaps riches. No need to get involved with classless people in the board. :shrug:

Re: Waqar resigns as bowling coach

waisay i don't think he would be good for India...afterall even he can't work wonders with non meat(or not hardcore)eaters and non nandro bowlers.... :lol:
well at the pace the likes of Munaf and Pathan have started to bowl i think Bishen Singh Bedi will be more helpful than Waqar. :wtg: