'Prithvi could be the best in the world'

MUMBAI: Standing among the tall and lanky lads from Rizvi-Springfield, skipper Prithvi Shaw might look out of place to some, thanks to his small frame. But no one who has seen the diminutive all-rounder bat would err to dwell on that. With a reputation of being a run-machine and a gritty performer in high-pressure games, the 15-year-old is one of the most promising talents on the 22-yards. Julian Wood — a former English county cricketer and the founder JW cricket academy — was one of the first people who had realized Prithvi's potential and predicted his rise. "Five years ago, we were playing a match at the MIG. They put him to bat and he scored 73 against us and I said this is a very, very special boy. I met his father and I told him I will sponsor him. You don't see talent like that everyday at such a young age. I told him he should come to England one day," said Wood. Despite trying to get Prithvi a stint in England for a couple of years, it was not until three months back that Wood succeeded. "He is now playing for Gloucestershire second team, which is just below first-class cricket. He is also studying at Bradfield College in Reading. He came to us at the start of this month and would be here till first week of July," informed Wood. Since it is not the first time away from home for the teenager — who spent three months in Manchester last year — settling down has not been a challenge. "He knows a couple of boys here from the last time. Academically he was a little at sea initially but we have got him a private tutor and he is faring rather well. "Yesterday he played for Gloustershire second team. He made just 10 off 10 but you have to realise that this is a very high level of cricket for him," said Wood, who seems anxious for Prithvi to do well. And not without a reason. "There's an opportunity for the college to offer him a full-time place come September. That would mean a scholarship, free-education and stay. He is extremely talented but has never had a choice in his life and this would be his big moment, his opportunity to grab a bright future." Oblivious of it, Prithvi is happy training hard, playing PSP and mini-cricket with Wood's kids and trying to placate his craving for home food with Chinese, which he complains 'is not like the one back home.' "I am a professional and when I see talent I know it. If he keeps up the work, in five years he will arguably be the best batsman in the world," Wood concluded.
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-05-25/top-stories/39520927_1_first-class-cricket-gloucestershire-prithvi-shaw http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/1823741/report-20-under-20-prithvi-shaw-14 http://www.indianexpress.com/news/three-boys-and-a-cricketing-dream/962891/