Golden farce: The 'shortlist' for the FIFA World Player of the Year

Sooda

Off Football Italia Website- Blog: Golden farce The shortlist for the FIFA World Player of the Year has been released. Steve Wilson analyses the bloated and unnecessary set of selections and points out the inconsistencies-whitebox.gifwhitebox.gifWho exactly comes up with the FIFA World Player of the Year nominations? Every autumn the shortlist reads like it has been collated by an over-awed 10-year old asked to list the 30 most famous names in global football. As well as the celebrity players who are included regardless of their current form, the number of selections means there are always at least half who have absolutely no chance in hell of winning the award – and then there are always the glaring omissions. This time around Francesco Totti has been ignored. The 2006-07 season was the Roma skipper’s best since the Scudetto-winning campaign of 2001, his unprecedented goal haul earning him the European Golden Boot while helping the Giallorossi to second spot in Serie A and an extended run in the Champions League. Meanwhile, in Milan, Andrea Pirlo suffered one of the worst World Cup hangovers. He may have rediscovered his form now, but over the past 12 months he has been well off the pace – yet he is included. Looking at some of the other picks you have to wonder how much those trusted with a vote really know? What exactly has Wayne Rooney done in the last year to warrant his inclusion? Even more so, Thierry Henry – who suffered his most dismal season at Arsenal and missed a large part due to injury. Closer to home, Patrick Vieira may have played a part in helping Inter to the championship but was he more influential and important than the likes of Dejan Stankovic or Esteban Cambiasso? Alessandro Nesta didn’t have a season to remember. Yes he ended it with a Champions League medal, but besides the European exploits did he set Serie A alight? Hardly, he spent half the year in America dealing with his shoulder problem. It seems winning the European Cup automatically earns those with a prior reputation a nod. It is lazy decision-making that suggests those compiling the list made their choices after checking who played in the showpiece Final. Or, with Fabio Cannavaro, that they simply looked back to the World Cup. Players should be on this list based on merit not name. Personally, if we are stretching this list out to the top 30, I’d have liked to see Scotland ‘keeper Craig Gordon included. He has arguably kept the Tartan minnows in contention single-handedly in Italy’s Euro 2008 group. But when we all know that Kaka is the only serious option – a list of more than three at most is just laughable. Then again this is FIFA, the experts who gave Zinedine Zidane the World Cup Player of the Tournament award at half-time of the Berlin showpiece.

Off Football Italia Website- Blog: Golden farce The shortlist for the FIFA World Player of the Year has been released. Steve Wilson analyses the bloated and unnecessary set of selections and points out the inconsistencies-whitebox.gifwhitebox.gifWho exactly comes up with the FIFA World Player of the Year nominations? Every autumn the shortlist reads like it has been collated by an over-awed 10-year old asked to list the 30 most famous names in global football. As well as the celebrity players who are included regardless of their current form, the number of selections means there are always at least half who have absolutely no chance in hell of winning the award – and then there are always the glaring omissions. This time around Francesco Totti has been ignored. The 2006-07 season was the Roma skipper’s best since the Scudetto-winning campaign of 2001, his unprecedented goal haul earning him the European Golden Boot while helping the Giallorossi to second spot in Serie A and an extended run in the Champions League. Meanwhile, in Milan, Andrea Pirlo suffered one of the worst World Cup hangovers. He may have rediscovered his form now, but over the past 12 months he has been well off the pace – yet he is included. Looking at some of the other picks you have to wonder how much those trusted with a vote really know? What exactly has Wayne Rooney done in the last year to warrant his inclusion? Even more so, Thierry Henry – who suffered his most dismal season at Arsenal and missed a large part due to injury. Closer to home, Patrick Vieira may have played a part in helping Inter to the championship but was he more influential and important than the likes of Dejan Stankovic or Esteban Cambiasso? Alessandro Nesta didn’t have a season to remember. Yes he ended it with a Champions League medal, but besides the European exploits did he set Serie A alight? Hardly, he spent half the year in America dealing with his shoulder problem. It seems winning the European Cup automatically earns those with a prior reputation a nod. It is lazy decision-making that suggests those compiling the list made their choices after checking who played in the showpiece Final. Or, with Fabio Cannavaro, that they simply looked back to the World Cup. Players should be on this list based on merit not name. Personally, if we are stretching this list out to the top 30, I’d have liked to see Scotland ‘keeper Craig Gordon included. He has arguably kept the Tartan minnows in contention single-handedly in Italy’s Euro 2008 group. But when we all know that Kaka is the only serious option – a list of more than three at most is just laughable. Then again this is FIFA, the experts who gave Zinedine Zidane the World Cup Player of the Tournament award at half-time of the Berlin showpiece.
What exactly has Wayne Rooney done in the last year to warrant his inclusion? What apart from score 20 goals and help UTD win the prem again? Well not much really. Ronnie should obviously win it.

No, he doesn't. Kaka will win it and deservedly so. I stopped caring about this award a long time back. Since 2002, to be precise - when Ronaldo (the real one) won it despite the fact that he played for about 2 months all season long and more deserving candidates like Michael Ballack and Roberto Carlos missed out. It's just a popularity contest now

IMO Ronnie deserves it but seem as though A.C.Milan won the European Cup then the votes will probably sway towards the undeserving' date=' probable winner (IMO) Kaka.[/quote'] Undeserving my ass. Kaka was Milan's best player in the run up to the CL final. He scored 10 goals in last season's CL - that is incredible for a player who isn't a striker. Not to mention his performances in the Serie A. Ronaldo doesn't deserve anything

Undeserving my ass. Kaka was Milan's best player in the run up to the CL final. He scored 10 goals in last season's CL - that is incredible for a player who isn't a striker. Not to mention his performances in the Serie A. Ronaldo doesn't deserve anything
A "Ronaldo doesn't deserve anything" quote is just downright hatred being shown to a player you obviously for some reason do not respect. And Kaka's performances in Serie A last season is a comment I unfortunately cannot comment on, purely because I've only seen glimpes. But the mention of Serie A just brings the words 'cheats, bribery, boring and CORRUPTION' to me. Another brace last night from Ronnie and a booking, which every single person I've spoken to about this incident just can't believe it wasn't a pen. Without Ronaldo UTD would be well behind the Arse by now.

A "Ronaldo doesn't deserve anything" quote is just downright hatred being shown to a player you obviously for some reason do not respect.
He doesn't deserve the World Player of the Year award.
And Kaka's performances in Serie A last season is a comment I unfortunately cannot comment on' date=' purely because I've only seen glimpes. But the mention of Serie A just brings the words 'cheats, bribery, boring and CORRUPTION' to me. [/quote'] The teams were punished. Juventus were demoted to Serie B, and there were point reductions for Lazio and Milan. What does that have to do with Kaka anyway ? Were the goals he scored pre-determined ? You have also conveniently ignored the fact that he outperformed everyone on the greatest stage in club football - the Champions League.
Another brace last night from Ronnie and a booking, which every single person I've spoken to about this incident just can't believe it wasn't a pen. Without Ronaldo UTD would be well behind the Arse by now.
As good as Ronaldo is, he doesn't exactly carry Manutd on his shoulders. Vidic is just as important IMO, as is Rooney.

Trust. It was NO coincidence that Utd. lost @ Bolton when Ronnie was (wrongly IMO) 'rested'. Yes Vidic is a class act at the back. With ref. to Kaka's performances in Serie A last season; like I stated, I cannot comment on them because I only saw the odd glimpse. He had a very good game @ OT in the Champs League semi. but was pretty non existent in the final. Inzaghe completely outshone him, as did several Pool players. It's only opinons and I'm sticking firmly with mine. Ronaldo deserves to be named Fifa World Player of the year, but we all know it's going to be Kaka anyway.

Trust. It was NO coincidence that Utd. lost @ Bolton when Ronnie was (wrongly IMO) 'rested'. Yes Vidic is a class act at the back. With ref. to Kaka's performances in Serie A last season; like I stated, I cannot comment on them because I only saw the odd glimpse. He had a very good game @ OT in the Champs League semi. but was pretty non existent in the final. Inzaghe completely outshone him, as did several Pool players. It's only opinons and I'm sticking firmly with mine. Ronaldo deserves to be named Fifa World Player of the year, but we all know it's going to be Kaka anyway.
I think it's completely wrong to say that he was non existent in that final. I take it you didn't actually watch the match. He was man marked by Mascherano but still caused Liverpool all sorts of problems. He won the freekick for the opening goal which was scored by Inzaghi and then he provided the pass for Inzaghi to score that crucial 2nd goal. Without him, they wouldn't have come close to winning that final. Care to name which Liverpool players "completely outshone" him ? This point isn't even arguable. So what did Ronaldo do in last season's CL ?

I think it's completely wrong to say that he was non existent in that final. I take it you didn't actually watch the match. He was man marked by Mascherano but still caused Liverpool all sorts of problems. He won the freekick for the opening goal which was scored by Inzaghi and then he provided the pass for Inzaghi to score that crucial 2nd goal. Without him' date=' they wouldn't have come close to winning that final. Care to name which Liverpool players "completely outshone" him ? This point isn't even arguable.[/quote'] So true, Mascherano is a beast, and Kaka still managed to make so many plays that game. I'm a liveprool fan and I watched the complete game. Sometimes people get the feeling he isn't doing much is simply because Liverpool had so many players on him trying to shut him down. His presence simply made the other strikers jobs easier. Plus during the regular season he broke almost every single Series A team's offside traps/defensive lines to score so many freakin goals (or create them)

I think it's completely wrong to say that he was non existent in that final. I take it you didn't actually watch the match. He was man marked by Mascherano but still caused Liverpool all sorts of problems. He won the freekick for the opening goal which was scored by Inzaghi and then he provided the pass for Inzaghi to score that crucial 2nd goal. Without him, they wouldn't have come close to winning that final. Care to name which Liverpool players "completely outshone" him ? This point isn't even arguable. So what did Ronaldo do in last season's CL ?
I'm getting pretty bored with this but you obviously didn't watch Utd's CL matches last season. BTW Utd reached the semi-final and yes before your retort of "who beat Utd in the semi", it's a sad indictment of this award if you are trying to convince me that Kaka deserves it [FIFA WPYA] with his displays in the CL and not the whole year! And yes I did watch the CL final and cheered AC Milan on!

Nope' date=' he still has to do it on the biggest stage of all. But an absolutely fabulous all-round game. Certainly faster than Zidane. As good as him at his peak.[/quote'] Kaka at his peak right now is better than Zidane was in '06 (even though Zidane was f'in brilliant at the World Cup) before he retired but if you compare the two when they were at their respective peaks...no contest, Zidane was the man. Zidane at his peak in Euro '00 was absolutely divine - unplayable at times, and he delivered when it mattered. For those who haven't seen Di Stefano, et al (ie; me) Zidane is easily the third best player that ever lived. I still remember how he dismantled a fine Ajax side in the '98 semifinals of the CL - scoring an incredible solo goal to make it 4-1 and taking Juventus to the final in grand style. His exploits at the World Cup are known by all and some of the football he played for Real Madrid in his first three seasons there was stunning. His passing, his vision, his ability to read the game, the ease with which he received and controlled the ball - the best first touch ever, his dribbling (you won't see a better dribbler) and most importantly, the elegance with which he played made him the god that he is known as today. Remember those two matches against Manutd in '03 ? He had the English media eating out of his hand after he tore Manutd to bits in that first quarterfinal when Real Madrid won 3-1. Pure class. Kaka is world class, but you can't mention him in the same breath as Zidane. Kaka will do well to be considered as great as fellow Brazilians Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Romario, Roberto Carlos, Zico etc. In fact, purely in terms of talent, i'd rate Messi ahead of Kaka. He is younger, but just as good and his playing style is reminiscient of Diego Maradona at his best. The ball sticks to his feet like glue. Watch the hat trick he scored against Real Madrid last season - singlehandedly saved Barcelona from defeat in a thrilling 3-3 draw. Too bad he is injured for the next 4 weeks.

Very nice read. Not having followed football in the last couple of years as avidly as I used to, I'll take your word for it. Talent doesn't do anything for me though. I'd pick Kaka ahead of the likes of Messi or Ronaldinho in my side any day. Intelligence, diligence, skill, team man to the core rather than Messi's maverick magic- he has it all. Fearsome player. Certainly the most feared in the world right now.