ICC World T20 2014

ICC World T20 2014  

1. 1.

• Chandimal
    • Matthews
    • Malinga
    • Jaywardene
    • Flout Some Rule like WT20 2012

Duncan Fletcher is a puppet like Manmohan SIngh. Some one else is running the show. Most probably part of Duncan's salary will be going to this "someone else" All Duncan does is roam around with the Indian team and sit quietly in a corner during team meetings.
You mean "ek haath se de aur doosre haath se le"

Vengsarkar hopes for India's improved display in World T20 http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/series-tournament/t20-world-cup-2014/top-stories/Vengsarkar-hopes-for-Indias-improved-display-in-World-T20/articleshow/31617428.cms Though disappointed at the India's pathetic performance over the last few months, former skipper Dilip Vengsarkar is optimistic about the Mahendra Singh Dhoni-led side's chances in the upcoming ICC World T20 championship in Bangladesh. The Indian team has lost successive Test and ODI rubbers to host nations South Africa and New Zealand before coming a cropper in the ongoing Asia Cup in Bangladesh where it failed to make the final. However, Vengsarkar is hopeful the team would bring back the Twenty20 World Cup it won in its inaugural year in 2007. "Of late, India is not doing too well. But I still have a strong belief that India would do extremely well in Dhaka (in T20) because the wickets over there are similar to Indian wickets. "But the (bowling) attack looks like a weak link. I think we have the same attack in Tests, ODIs and T20. The same Bhuvneshwar Kumar, the same (Mohammed) Shami, the same guys. We don't have options and that is the crux of the matter, unfortunately," Vengsarkar said while unveiling the replica of the coveted T20 Trophy at the Bombay Gymkhana on Friday. The T20 event is scheduled from March 16 to April 6. The former chief selector felt spinners hold the key in the sub-continent conditions and was also happy with the return of Dhoni, who skipped the Asia Cup due to injury, in beefing up the batting department. "In Asia Cup, the performance wasn't that great but I still hope we will do well in this forthcoming World Cup. It is a 20-over tournament and we have won it before and we hope we will do the same thing again." "Dhoni will definitely make a lot of difference. He is an excellent captain and has been around for almost six to seven years. He is an experienced campaigner and he has won so many matches with his batting as well," Vengsarkar said. "He is a crucial player at number six and he is a good keeper also. Dhoni is a very important member of the team and I am sure he will do well. Of late, he has not done well abroad but I am sure, the team under him has still plenty of hope," he said. "I am sure he (Dhoni) will not fumble like what had happened in the last few matches," said Vengsarkar, referring to the spate of reprieves provided to opposition batsmen by stand-in stumper Dinesh Karthik in the Asia Cup. While emphasising the weakness of the bowling attack, spin in particular, he felt India could, on the other hand, depend on the strength of its batting. "The bowling department looks like a weak link for us but anything can happen in 20 overs. They have to bowl only 4 overs and how they bowl that is very important," he said. "Spinning department is very important because we are playing in an Asian country, where spinners will be very important. And those in the team would have to deliver. Unfortunately we don't have many bowling options. The same set play in all formats. They look tired and jaded. "(But) we have a strong batting line up. If we can score in excess of 180 we should do well," said the 57-year- old, who is a veteran of 116 Test matches. The former middle-order mainstay expressed dismay over chief coach Duncan Fletcher, under whom India have lost four overseas Test rubbers on the trot in England, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, returning home to Zimbabwe after every international assignment instead of watching domestic games. "It's a matter of serious concern because India will be playing five (Test) matches in England (this season). It's disappointing we have not won anything abroad (in recent times). Also, he needs to watch domestic cricket. If he watches only international cricket it's not good enough. After an international series he goes back home. "I don't know what is in his contract (with BCCI). The thing is he has to watch local games also. Ishwar Pandey (MP pacer) has not been picked (in the India playing 11 so far) because he has not been watched. Unless he (Fletcher) watches local matches he will not know who is good enough to play for India," Vengsarkar maintained. Vengsarkar recalled how the Indian cricket officials were not inclined towards the T20 format when it was conceptualised. "In my career, I never played T20 games but I was very much part of the first ICC trophy, which the Indian team won in South Africa. I was the selector and I was in England at that time. "BCCI was not very keen on this format then and we didn't have any key records or scores for the tournament and the BCCI was the last board to accept this format of the tournament," he remembered. "I was with the Indian team that time and we were playing against England and we had to pick the side. The other four selectors were there in India. It took us almost two hours and, apart from the format, we were discussing who would do well in this format," he said. "Dhoni was made the captain that time and all young players were there. We all thought the youngsters would bring in the energy and they would do well in South Africa," Vengsarkar said. "Almost 4-5 senior players dropped out of the tournament and that allowed us to get all the youngsters with whom we were happy in ODI matches. And then, India won the World Cup," he said. Among the seniors who opted out of the inaugural edition in 2007 were Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly. India, under Dhoni, went on to create history by defeating Pakistan in a nail-biting final in Johannesburg.

You'll see a different me in World T20: Suresh Raina It must have been difficult for you to be out of the Indian team when they were playing in Bangladesh in the Asia Cup. Yes it was difficult but that's something I have to take in my stride and move on. I have played in the domestic one-dayers and have worked very hard on my fitness. I have done meditation as well to increase my concentration. Where do you think things went wrong for you of late? Coming in to bat at No. 5 and 6, I have got some starts and reached 20s and 30s. The problem is I haven't been able to build on those starts and that's what I am trying to rectify. I have spoken to Sourav Ganguly as well and his advice has been very helpful. Anything specific that Sourav told you? He just gave me confidence and told me to work on my strength. He reminded me how well I had done in ODIs before and told me to play the same aggressive game that made me successful. It does feel good when such a great player has so many good things to say about your game. The short ball has been a bit of a problem for you. Any specific training against the short ball? It's all part of the improvement process. I have taken all those things into account and tried to work on it. I have taken the advice of my coaches as well and I believe you will see a different Suresh Raina in the T20 World Cup. You have been one of the best T20 players for India. What's the secret? In T20 cricket, more often than not, I have gone out to bat early. It has allowed me the time to get settled and play some crucial innings. That's something I would like to do in one-dayers as well, as and when I get the chance again. This T20 World Cup is crucial for you as it is for the team... No doubt about it. This T20 World Cup is going to be the stepping stone for the 50-over World Cup in a year's time. If we do well and go on to win it here, it's going to be a huge boost to our confidence. As for me, if I do well and have a good IPL after that, it will help me come back into reckoning for ODIs. But given the poor run of form, do you think India have a chance in the T20 World Cup? Of course we have. Look at the balance of experience and youthful energy. We will go there and play a few practice games as well which will help us tune up to the conditions. And as it is, it's the subcontinent and we have always done well. If everything falls into place, we have every chance of winning it. Can you specify why India haven't done well in limited overs since October? A combination of reasons. Sometimes our batting has done well and the bowling hasn't clicked and vice-versa. Then the new rules in ODIs which have come into place where more than four players are not allowed outside the ring. It takes a little time for the bowlers to get used to it, just as the batsmen sometimes find a little tough to rotate strike. But all that's part of the game and we are in the process of coping with it. sourcec-toi

Raina has been our key player at number 3 in T20 format can see MS coming at 5 after Yuvraj.
He will make a huge difference since he can accelerate big time later on.. The value he brings when he is set is huge. He and Raina should swap positions. Rohit can come 4-5 down

Raina will soon complete a decade of playing at the international level. We have seen some cool performances from him but not the MoS kinds. It would be great if Raina can come up w/ a MoS type of performance and help Ind win Yuvraj, despite the ups and downs, delivered a Sobers like performance in WC 2013, and who can forget those 6 6s of Board in T20 WC in 2007. Raina needs to deliver similar performances. He has Yuvi for inspiration

He will make a huge difference since he can accelerate big time later on.. The value he brings when he is set is huge. He and Raina should swap positions. Rohit can come 4-5 down
I think MS will play as a finisher where if we are in a situation where we need 10 an over he can finish it off . Can see Yuvi at 4 and him at 5 though saying that I forgot we also have Virat in our side so he'll be at 3 I think.
India squad for World Twenty20 MS Dhoni (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Yuvraj Singh, Ajinkya Rahane, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Stuart Binny, Amit Mishra, Mohit Sharma, Varun Aaron
Appears as if Ind is starting its campaign against Pak at Mirpur, where spinners performed well. I would be tempted to start out w/ the following 11 and make changes if required depending up on form and conditions: Dhawan Rahane (or Rohit) Kohli Yuvi Dhoni Raina Jadeja Ashwin Mishra Shami Mohit (or Varun/Bhuvi)

Yuvraj singh walks into the Indian all time ODI and T20 team. Raina has it all to do. Raina has always been a good player in the T20 format batting at 4-5 for India. But to stand out as being a great he needs to dominate a tournament. The way i see it, if he can hit 3-4 50s at a good pace, pick up a few wickets etc and india lift the cup he has left his mark.

Yuvi and Raina are good for Indian team. Both had few failures and were dropped for the right reasons' date=' but for a long term purpose and world cup, I would love to see them back.[/quote'] well that's not a surprise. you are another supporter of mediocrity and long shall it continue if we recall these players