Why not stop playing for six months?

I am not angry or frustrated with indian cricket. I am looking at this striclty from a management perspective. I also understand that BCCI will never do this. Here is what I am thinking: Capitalism has thrieved becasue of competition. But competion without regulation can turn ugly. In terms of indian cricket, it is too much regulation and politics and not enough competition. If the current state of productivity of indian cricket is compared to any services or production house, I'd call for whole sale changes and/or stop business as usual. This maybe the electric shock needed for indian cricket. The guys are trying hard, we can see that. But trying hard and being productive are different things. Could it be the support strucuture, the lack of bench strenght, too many games in a short period of time or just inefficiency or lack of talent. I am not in a position to point my finger at any one factor. But as an outside observer, I have a feeling it is all the above. There is no stategic thinking that shows on the ground. The players have been used as machines with out any reprieve. Not every team is like Australia. But with superior class of players in the indian team, it is understandable that the fans would be disappointed if we cannot win games consistently. It infuriates the fans when there is a complete collape of the team. Why not just stop the national team from playing cricket for six months or more. Let them go back home or their training grounds and play domestic cricket. Let them go back to playing relaxed games so that they can enjoy the game again. Let us tell the media to f**k off for some time. Leave these guys alone. They are all rich enough that if they do not get paid for six months, they will be fine. Let us go back the drawing board and rethink...What are we doing and how do we become the best... This may just be an intellectual exercise, but there could be methods derieved from just a theory... Anyways, let's enjoy the next game...Not just as Indian Cricket Fans...but just as cricket fans..

yup,u r spot on..lets enjoy the game as cricket fans and not fans of indian cricketers...one has to admire the professionalism and cricketing skills of the aussies..for all their so called arrogant behaviour and the "ugly aussie" terminology,they are damn good cricketers..!!!

In my general reading talking to my friends in India, the fans are at wits end. The people are bombarded with ads and analysis and everything cricket. The hunt for a coach, Sharad Pawar, BCCI, the three old gaurds etc... Lets just step back for a second. In my opinion, the popuarity of cricket in India started with two things, Color TV and Sachin Tendulkar. Before these two, cricket was enjoyed but not with such passion. This passion is good for the game and has helped it grow to what it is today. But uncontrolled passion is dangerous. I would like to see the game nurtured, the player trained, the fans educated about the game. Let us make playing cricket their job. They need not be revered as Gods, but admired and respected as professionals. Let us get to that stage. Also, what is the alternate for sport in India. The govt and the media need to make a concerted effort to help spread this passion for sport to other sports as well. Cricket is by far the most popular sport and thus the most discussed and most viewed. Let the govt promote soccer, hockey, tennis, badminton and numerous other sport. Let the fans spread the passion among other sport activities as well. We need a general upliftment of sport in India and not just cricket. This would relieve some pressure from the players. Just as the aussies have it. If we want to be like them, let us adopt some of their practices across the board.

Lets just step back for a second. In my opinion, the popuarity of cricket in India started with two things, Color TV and Sachin Tendulkar. Before these two, cricket was enjoyed but not with such passion.
The above may not be accurate. I think cricket passion may have tremendously increased in India after WC 1983 and Benson and Hedges Championship 1984.

Adopting aussie mgmt practice is easier said than done...what with the political machinations and behind the scenes power grabbing tactics which has plagues the BCCI..rewind to the celebrations that followed out T20 win a couple of weeks ago ..the wankhede stadium had all the so called BCCI bigwigs hogging the limelight while the cricketers who actually won the tournament relagated to the sidelines and the back row seats...just goes to show how much of the mal-administration malaise has set in the BCCI..this is not a new thing ..if one knows indian cricketing history well ,political bickering in the Indian board is a legacy since 1932 when we entered test cricket

Lets just step back for a second. In my opinion' date=' the popuarity of cricket in India started with two things, Color TV and Sachin Tendulkar. Before these two, cricket was enjoyed but not with such passion. [/quote'] I would add TV channels like Star Sports & ESPN in the 90s to that list.

We have to understand India is not one of the better ODI teams going around. India has been pretty good in test cricket and the recent results have shown that. India did not improve in test cricket overnight but took fair bit of time since 2000 to reach the stage where they are in at the moment. Indian ODI team is now going through the phase where they are unsure of their ability either because of lack of skills or proper resource. Just like they needed couple of wins overseas in test cricket to get a bit of confidence going, India needs some good wins under the belt to get there in ODIs too. I think that phase has started with few young ones showing a bit of ability with both ball and bat. I think in about couple of years India will get there in ODIs too.