Why didn't the Indian batters use their feet and play pulls?

King

I've just revisited the test matches, watched the highlights and it is bewildering to note the Indian batters barring Laxman none played pull shots. Even Ganguly attempted one or two and then the bowlers started to bowl channel balls at him after that. Clearly India did well overseas in the last 4-5 years because they used the horizontal bat shots to good effect. Has the pull/hook shots gone out of fashion? Also the footwork of the Indian batters was appalling against the spinner. Ganguly used his feet just once but it was not consistently used to upset the bowler's rhythm. We all know how well Indians have played Warnie (even when bowling around the stumps), MacGill, Murali and the rest. One of the major tool in Indians suceeding against these guys was because they used their feet really well. I can't quite understand why they did not even think about using their feet in the last test. Harris is not as big a turner as the ones mentioned above and the pitch was not a mine field either. To play the pull shots and to use the feet you need plenty of confidence. This clearly shows how much confidence our batters had. Looks like playing pull/hook shot and coming down the track has become old fashion with our batters.

Re: Why didn't the Indian batters use their feet and play pulls? good thought, the bowlers of South Africa got the better of the batsmen due their pretty ordinary batting, and were just dominant due to the lack of intention of playing shots, something they were successful at the 03 04 series in Australia.

Re: Why didn't the Indian batters use their feet and play pulls? For a while now, Indian batting has deteriorated. In all manner, weather it be feet movement or just the shot selection. There are those few moments of genius but generally Indian team has forgotten how to bat. We were at one point a bating team. Everyone in the world admired our long and strong batting lineup but now its become a laughing stock.

Re: Why didn't the Indian batters use their feet and play pulls?

no confidence. always in fear of losing.
Yup my thought too with a little alteration "No confidence, fear of getting out". When you fear getting out it is not easy to play your shots. Each ball you face you feel you may get out.