Number 700: Magic

When Ponting had been going with the seamers on the first day, a number of us were getting quite pissed due to the fact that the poms were only 2 down, and more importantly, Our Lord and Saviour hadn't gotten a bowl yet. There were chants of BRING ON WARNEY at various times (or "take him off" when Symmo was bowling - I tried starting one for Bung in his opening over, but it got nowhere), and when he finally started warming up - just swinging his arms and shoulders from slip, most of us went fucking NUTS. Expectations were that he'd get 700 with the first ball. It was a full toss, Collingwood hit it away. So we booed the hell out of him for being such a wretched bastard and not giving his wicket to Warne, like a good man - any one of us - would have. Glorious. :hic: I moved to the third tier in the Southern Stand as soon as Warney came on, looking from an angle between mid on and Warne as 700 happened, and have never seen anything like it in my life. Nor will I probably see anything of the sort again. Strauss was beaten in the flight and screwed himself over with some atrocious footwork, literally yorking himself. And as soon as we heard timber, EVERYONE in the ground just stood - with about 90k at the ground, and most willing to kiss the ground Warne walked on, the atmosphere was just amazing. Place went mad for about five minutes, and Warney lapped it up, first running around madly for a couple of miutes, then calming down and raising the ball to each stand. Applause went on well into the next over. Couple of shots: this was the reaction from the players a couple of seconds or so after he got it. p1040171lj2.jpgp1040173df1.jpg And this was the response in the crowd. Not one person on his arse, and the sort of atmosphere you only read about in sporting grounds. p1040175th8.jpg

Re: Number 700: Magic I bet if an Indian achieves it and if Indian fans go gaga over it many (including probably me) will call it hero worship, giving too much importance to individual milestones, etc. Anyways, good on the aussies to enjoy one of their own.