Gavaskar will remain the No. 1 Indian batsman of all time.

Re: Gavaskar will remain the No. 1 Indian batsman of all time.

No doubt, Predator..........no doubt ! But in terms of the value of his runs to India, he will sit behind Gavaskar and Dravid.
"Value" of runs ? Que ? Runs are always runs mate, no matter which inning or which scenario they are scored in !! PS - have you ever watched his 136 vs Pakistan @ Chennai ? That is the best knock he has ever played (for me) - India were in dire straights with half their batting lineup out with less than 100 on the board. Facing an excellent bowling attack of Wasim, Waqar, Saqlain - he battled back-spasms and resurrected India's hopes by carrying them just inches away from what initially looked like, an impossible victory. That knock was just as good as anything i have ever seen from Lara (i rate it alongside his 153* as the best knocks ever played) but what was the difference - besides the result ? Lara had a competent supporting cast (the most prominent being Jimmy Adams, who averaged over 50 at the time) whereas Tendulkar was stuck with a bunch of gutless fools who couldn't score a handful of runs. Is that Tendulkar's failure or the team's ? Do you catch my drift ? Cricket is a team sport, and especially in Test cricket - no one man can singlehandedly carry his team past the finish line. A man's individual efforts can only be as good as his team can allow them be.

Interestingly' date=' S Waugh averaged 25.5 and Border averaged 34.4 in the 4th innings.[/quote'] Exactly ! Border was just a blood-and-guts, Aussie version of Tendulkar. He played during an era in which his team was crap and he was thereby forced to walk in with 2 or 3 wickets down against the new ball. I'll bet he has won fewer tests than Tendulkar as well (will check this later). Another fantastic batsman whose 4th innings record does him no justice...but it didn't stop the Aussies from naming their top cricketing honour (the Allan Border medal) after him. Look beyond the numbers

My 2 cents Tendulkar is one the best batsmen whom I have seen. He has excellent technique and talent. Lara and Ponting are another two great batsmen. At the moment Ponting is leading as the best batsmen. Gavaskar played cricket long back. Especially one day cricket. I doubt whether Gavaskar could shine as he did before if he is playing today with the new set of rules like power play. Apart form all these players individual performance one needs to wonder how many game did they win for their team. That remains as a hot question atleast for Tendulkar. Did he win many games for India?

Re: Gavaskar will remain the No. 1 Indian batsman of all time. Gambo..........the crux of the issue is not match-winning since I recognize that a poor team can hinder one good player. The crux is Performing Under Pressure" That is where Sachin gets poopings and that is why Gavsakar and Dravid supersede him in the pantheon of great Indian batsmen.

Thanks a ton for that link Gambit! I did not even realize that Wisden had ranked batsmen and bowlers(I guess they picked it from the erstwhile Price Waterhouse Coopers ratings). Tendulkar is number 2 in both format. Overall a better batsman than anyone else except Don Bradman...I can live with that :wtg: TBP you should not have raked in Wisden, as it so happens game-set-match to Gambit now :lmao: xxxx

Lurker.........not the batsman..........the innings.
TBP, You can not take anything so selectively my friend. If your argument is "Where does Wisden rank SRT's innings" it obviously means Wisden's rankings are very important to you. So obviously if someone retorts you with a "Where does Wisden rank SRT as overall batsman" he has a very fair point, and if anything you started it. I shall let Gambo give his argument, but would you be willing to concede that while Lara's innings(153 or other) was indeed better than SRT's 136, SRT is the better batsman overall? You surely can not have it both ways my friend. xxxx